Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting pictures put on vans

You see Sky and other vans, and buses, with full colour pictures all over
them (even across the bus windows). How do they do it? Is it actual paint
or some sort of transfer? I'm particularly intrigued how they deal with
ridges and valleys in around panels etc.

And where would one go, and how much would it cost to get a a more modest
version done? Not the whole van, just covering a panel on a transit. Though
if one could do substantially the whole of a side at not-too-extortionate
cost I'd be interested. It would need to be in colour, from an original
I'd supply.

--
John Stumbles

Fundamentalist agnostic
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
You see Sky and other vans, and buses, with full colour pictures all over
them (even across the bus windows). How do they do it? Is it actual paint
or some sort of transfer? I'm particularly intrigued how they deal with
ridges and valleys in around panels etc.

And where would one go, and how much would it cost to get a a more modest
version done? Not the whole van, just covering a panel on a transit. Though
if one could do substantially the whole of a side at not-too-extortionate
cost I'd be interested. It would need to be in colour, from an original
I'd supply.

The full colour prints are done with PVC decals. You get the decal
printed to your requirements, then it is applied to the (well cleaned)
panel, very carefully.

Most modern vehicle sign writers have the facilities to do this.

http://www.bossdog.co.uk/fitting-instructions.asp

--
Grunff
Radioactive Keyrings!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

You see Sky and other vans, and buses, with full colour pictures all over
them (even across the bus windows). How do they do it? Is it actual paint
or some sort of transfer? I'm particularly intrigued how they deal with
ridges and valleys in around panels etc.

Vinyl transfers usually. The ones over windows are printed using a
halftone dot pattern so that there are gaps between all the pixels. The
reverse side being black and hence non reflective. So they act as a one
way sign. You can see out from inside, but not the other way around.

And where would one go, and how much would it cost to get a a more modest
version done? Not the whole van, just covering a panel on a transit. Though
if one could do substantially the whole of a side at not-too-extortionate
cost I'd be interested. It would need to be in colour, from an original
I'd supply.

Not a recommendation since I found them from a web search the other day
when someone asked a similar question, but these people look like they
do the right sort of stuff:

http://www.signsandshirts.co.uk/diy....FQ2IMAodjTrsCQ

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
You see Sky and other vans, and buses, with full colour pictures all over
them (even across the bus windows). How do they do it? Is it actual paint
or some sort of transfer? I'm particularly intrigued how they deal with
ridges and valleys in around panels etc.

And where would one go, and how much would it cost to get a a more modest
version done? Not the whole van, just covering a panel on a transit. Though
if one could do substantially the whole of a side at not-too-extortionate
cost I'd be interested. It would need to be in colour, from an original
I'd supply.

Searching on "Vehicle Wrapping" I found

http://www.raccoon.co.uk/gallery.php

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
You see Sky and other vans, and buses, with full colour pictures all
over them (even across the bus windows). How do they do it? Is it
actual paint or some sort of transfer? I'm particularly intrigued how
they deal with ridges and valleys in around panels etc.

Its called 'wrapping' and its done with one very large vinyl sticker for
eash side of the vehicle

And where would one go, and how much would it cost to get a a more
modest version done? Not the whole van, just covering a panel on a
transit. Though if one could do substantially the whole of a side at
not-too-extortionate cost I'd be interested. It would need to be in
colour, from an original I'd supply.

My local signwriter does it, IIRC he mentioned a Trabsit sized van being
£1500 - £2000.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-12 16:53:20 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

John Stumbles wrote:
You see Sky and other vans, and buses, with full colour pictures all
over them (even across the bus windows). How do they do it? Is it
actual paint or some sort of transfer? I'm particularly intrigued how
they deal with ridges and valleys in around panels etc.

Its called 'wrapping' and its done with one very large vinyl sticker for
eash side of the vehicle

And where would one go, and how much would it cost to get a a more
modest version done? Not the whole van, just covering a panel on a
transit. Though if one could do substantially the whole of a side at
not-too-extortionate cost I'd be interested. It would need to be in
colour, from an original I'd supply.

My local signwriter does it, IIRC he mentioned a Trabsit sized van being
£1500 - £2000.

Does that include the van?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-12 16:53:20 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

John Stumbles wrote:
You see Sky and other vans, and buses, with full colour pictures all
over them (even across the bus windows). How do they do it? Is it
actual paint or some sort of transfer? I'm particularly intrigued
how they deal with ridges and valleys in around panels etc.

Its called 'wrapping' and its done with one very large vinyl sticker
for eash side of the vehicle

And where would one go, and how much would it cost to get a a more
modest version done? Not the whole van, just covering a panel on a
transit. Though if one could do substantially the whole of a side at
not-too-extortionate cost I'd be interested. It would need to be in
colour, from an original I'd supply.

My local signwriter does it, IIRC he mentioned a Trabsit sized van
being £1500 - £2000.

Does that include the van?

There was an episode of Wheeler Dealers on the other night where they
renovated an old VW van - sort of turned it into a camper. Rather than
respray it they spent £1000 on having it wrapped. My signwriter bloke
reckoned that was cheap.

Apparently some vans are now being designed to be easily wrapped - VW Caddy
being one.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
And where would one go, and how much would it cost to get a a more
modest version done? Not the whole van, just covering a panel on a
transit. Though if one could do substantially the whole of a side at
not-too-extortionate cost I'd be interested. It would need to be in
colour, from an original I'd supply.

My local signwriter does it, IIRC he mentioned a Trabsit sized van being
£1500 - £2000.

Is that an East German van made out of compressed paper ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
And where would one go, and how much would it cost to get a a more
modest version done? Not the whole van, just covering a panel on a
transit. Though if one could do substantially the whole of a side at
not-too-extortionate cost I'd be interested. It would need to be in
colour, from an original I'd supply.

My local signwriter does it, IIRC he mentioned a Trabsit sized van
being £1500 - £2000.

Is that an East German van made out of compressed paper ?

Well spotted Geoff. Correct. The little known East German Trabsit Van.

Apparently you can get a Ford Transit wrapped for about the same price :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
You see Sky and other vans, and buses, with full colour pictures all
over them (even across the bus windows). How do they do it? Is it
actual paint or some sort of transfer? I'm particularly intrigued how
they deal with ridges and valleys in around panels etc.

Its called 'wrapping' and its done with one very large vinyl sticker for
eash side of the vehicle

And where would one go, and how much would it cost to get a a more
modest version done? Not the whole van, just covering a panel on a
transit. Though if one could do substantially the whole of a side at
not-too-extortionate cost I'd be interested. It would need to be in
colour, from an original I'd supply.

My local signwriter does it, IIRC he mentioned a Trabsit sized van being
£1500 - £2000.

That sounds horrendously expensive, considering I was recently quoted £269
for fairly comprehensive colour signwriting of Renault Master LWB High roof
van from my jpeg images.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:58:11 +0100, "nightjar" cpb@ wrote:

That sounds horrendously expensive, considering I was recently quoted
£269 for fairly comprehensive colour signwriting of Renault Master LWB
High roof van from my jpeg images.

How would that be done? Having someone hand-paint it from an image would
surely cost more in labour alone.

--
John Stumbles

87.5% of statistics are made up
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
John Stumbles wrote:
Searching on "Vehicle Wrapping" I found

http://www.raccoon.co.uk/gallery.php

I always wanted a ford escort fully painted to look like fish scales so
I could call it an RS Turbot...
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:58:11 +0100, "nightjar" cpb@ wrote:

That sounds horrendously expensive, considering I was recently quoted
£269 for fairly comprehensive colour signwriting of Renault Master LWB
High roof van from my jpeg images.

How would that be done? Having someone hand-paint it from an image would
surely cost more in labour alone.

I would be surprised if anyone does hand painted signwriting these days. My
quote was to transfer the designs to vinyl, which would be computer cut and
applied with a hairdryer, which is much the way the photo images are done.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:58:11 +0100, "nightjar" cpb@ wrote:

That sounds horrendously expensive, considering I was recently
quoted £269 for fairly comprehensive colour signwriting of Renault
Master LWB High roof van from my jpeg images.

How would that be done? Having someone hand-paint it from an image
would surely cost more in labour alone.

I would be surprised if anyone does hand painted signwriting these
days. My quote was to transfer the designs to vinyl, which would be
computer cut and applied with a hairdryer, which is much the way the
photo images are done.

My vinyl bloke started that way & still does the odd pub sign with a brush.

I get the impression from him that wrapping the complete sides of a vehicle
is a much harder job than applying cut vinyl. It is literally a single
sticker the length & height of the van. Must be a bugger to do + a huge
printer to get the width.

Probably thats why its so expensive.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

John Stumbles wrote:
You see Sky and other vans, and buses, with full colour pictures all
over them (even across the bus windows). How do they do it? Is it
actual paint or some sort of transfer? I'm particularly intrigued how
they deal with ridges and valleys in around panels etc.

Its called 'wrapping' and its done with one very large vinyl sticker for
eash side of the vehicle

Also used on rail vehicles. Have a look at

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nd_Central.jpg

When the franchise changed their identity to c2c, this fleet was
all wrapped. Apart from the roof, the only bit of original
paintwork is the yellow ends.

They do need to use several sheets, not least because a coach is
20m long.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK