Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toyota accelerator recall

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
, Matty
F writes
If you didn't know already, many Toyotas are being recalled because
the accelerator may stick wide open.
Originally it was claimed that the floormat got in the way.
I don't believe that for a moment.
Then an accelerator part that swelled up was replaced. Now the
replacement is faulty.

So ...

given a long enough stretch and a following wind, Drivels Prius could
almost get up to 30 mph

Maxie, I now have the new model!! Fantastic!! 65mpg!! ooooooooo!!!
I am waiting for Vauxhall Ampera in a few years time then I may get that.
Onwards and upwards Maxie. Onwards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

Many vehicles, including Toyota and Lexus
brand cars, have given up on decades-old technology that uses a steel
cable to control acceleration

Yeah, well.
"Sudden unintended accelleration" wasn't really much of a problem on my
old bangers with steel throttle cables, and if it happened it was the
work of five minutes with WD40 (at last, a use for it) at the roadside.
Ho-hum, such is progress.
We now have a generation of drivers who have never experienced the
delights of bangernomics and simply haven't a clue when something out of
the ordinary occurs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Grim

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

Many vehicles, including Toyota and Lexus
brand cars, have given up on decades-old technology that uses a steel
cable to control acceleration

Yeah, well.
"Sudden unintended accelleration" wasn't really much of a problem on my
old bangers with steel throttle cables, and if it happened it was the
work of five minutes with WD40 (at last, a use for it) at the roadside.
Ho-hum, such is progress.
We now have a generation of drivers who have never experienced the
delights of bangernomics and simply haven't a clue when something out of
the ordinary occurs.

Had the same thing just before Christmas on my '64 Mog Traveller.

Just approaching our local town and 'something felt a bit odd' - 'go'
pedal hit the floor and engine revs went up! Floor the clutch, kill
ignition, hit hazards & find a space on the side of the road.

Turns out the throttle return spring (probably original) had lost the
hook on the end (they just don't make 'em to last! g)

Managed to bend a new hook on the end, then into the local farm supply
shop for 'A spring about that long'. Couldn't help but grin when the
lady behind the counter said - 'Certainly - compression or extension ?'

Quick rummage in the box of shiny new springs - and one Euro later -
and we've not only got a new spring - but we've got a new spare spring
as well! I love old cars!

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Maxie, I now have the new model!! Fantastic!! 65mpg!! ooooooooo!!!

So not as good as your claims for the old one? How sad is that.

--
*The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian Brentnall
saying something like:

Managed to bend a new hook on the end, then into the local farm supply
shop for 'A spring about that long'. Couldn't help but grin when the
lady behind the counter said - 'Certainly - compression or extension ?'

Huh. I was badly let down by my local agri-store - no compression
springs inna box. I just couldn't get my head round it.

I love old cars!

Ditto.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Maxie, I now have the new model!! Fantastic!! 65mpg!! ooooooooo!!!

So

Please f**k off as you are a plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:08:08 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Jules wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:35:19 +0000, geoff wrote:
So ...

given a long enough stretch and a following wind, Drivels Prius
could almost get up to 30 mph
Following wind countered by the wind coming from his gob, though. If
there's no wind, he just goes backwards.

mostly he blows it out of his arse though.

Net forward propulsion then,

without the need for all those horrendous batteries

If it comes out of both ends at once, I bet he undergoes some kind of
Catherine wheel effect. (Drivel, if you find yourself spinning rapidy end
over end, either clench or shut up)

Maxie, we have another weirdo here. Sad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

Many vehicles, including Toyota and Lexus
brand cars, have given up on decades-old technology that uses a steel
cable to control acceleration

Yeah, well.
"Sudden unintended accelleration" wasn't really much of a problem on my
old bangers with steel throttle cables, and if it happened it was the
work of five minutes with WD40 (at last, a use for it) at the roadside.
Ho-hum, such is progress.
We now have a generation of drivers who have never experienced the
delights of bangernomics and simply haven't a clue when something out of
the ordinary occurs.

The Pennis syndrome

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

Jules wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:35:19 +0000, geoff wrote:
So ...

given a long enough stretch and a following wind, Drivels Prius
could almost get up to 30 mph
Following wind countered by the wind coming from his gob, though. If
there's no wind, he just goes backwards.

mostly he blows it out of his arse though.

Net forward propulsion then,

without the need for all those horrendous batteries

If it comes out of both ends at once, I bet he undergoes some kind of
Catherine wheel effect. (Drivel, if you find yourself spinning rapidy end
over end, either clench or shut up)

Maxie, we have another weirdo here. Sad.

Yes, that is how you normally come across - especially if nursey hasn't
been around with your medication

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Jaguars have become more streamlined over the years (my latest one at
bottom):
http://i47.tinypic.com/amvdhz.jpg

No question about which of those two I'd rather have. The Mk7/8/9 has
always been high on my list.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

Jules wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:35:19 +0000, geoff wrote:
So ...

given a long enough stretch and a following wind, Drivels Prius
could almost get up to 30 mph
Following wind countered by the wind coming from his gob, though. If
there's no wind, he just goes backwards.

mostly he blows it out of his arse though.

Net forward propulsion then,

without the need for all those horrendous batteries

If it comes out of both ends at once, I bet he undergoes some kind of
Catherine wheel effect. (Drivel, if you find yourself spinning rapidy
end
over end, either clench or shut up)

Maxie, we have another weirdo here. Sad.

Yes, that is how you normally come across - especially if nursey hasn't
been around with your medication

Maxie, but I do not wear turned down wellies in a Paddy band.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:22:11 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Maxie, I now have the new model!! Fantastic!! 65mpg!! ooooooooo!!!

So not as good as your claims for the old one? How sad is that.

The old ones were in fahrenheit, the new ones in celcius... (well we are
measuring hot air, aren't we?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:36:43 +0000, geoff wrote:
Maxie, we have another weirdo here. Sad.

Yes, that is how you normally come across

The less we know about what he comes across the better, tyvm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Maxie, I now have the new model!! Fantastic!! 65mpg!! ooooooooo!!!

So not as good as your claims for the old one? How sad is that.

The old ones were in fahrenheit, the new ones in celcius... (well we are
measuring hot air, aren't we?

;-) Toyota were forced to modify their ridiculous MPG claims for the
earlier models of the Pious in the US. But not in the UK where the likes
of dribble believed them.

--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:46:55 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
;-) Toyota were forced to modify their ridiculous MPG claims for the
earlier models of the Pious in the US. But not in the UK where the likes
of dribble believed them.

Yeah, I think I read something about that. It's not really Prius
territory up here - I see one every once in a while, but there aren't many
about.

Fuel consumption assessments between the US and UK always seem a bit
meaningless incidentally - the gallon sizes are different, the
octane ratings are different, the way the octane ratings are arrived at is
different, the way the manufacturer's MPG claims are worked out is
different...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Jules wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:46:55 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
;-) Toyota were forced to modify their ridiculous MPG claims for the
earlier models of the Pious in the US. But not in the UK where the likes
of dribble believed them.

Yeah, I think I read something about that. It's not really Prius
territory up here - I see one every once in a while, but there aren't
many about.

Fuel consumption assessments between the US and UK always seem a bit
meaningless incidentally - the gallon sizes are different, the octane
ratings are different, the way the octane ratings are arrived at is
different, the way the manufacturer's MPG claims are worked out is
different...

They are, but easy enough to convert. Toyota just designed a car to take
advantage of the poor way official mpg figures are calculated. Which was
ok as a *comparison* between basically similar power plants - but not for
a radically different design. As those who bought them soon found out.
It's also probably fine in the US as a town only car - but too large and
expensive for that role in the UK. And was truly terrible as a general
purpose family car in the UK.

I've no objections to hybrids in principle - and they are getting better
all the time. Just object to fraudulent claims about what they can achieve
- and of course those who believe them without question.

--
*60-year-old, one owner - needs parts, make offer

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 15:07:21 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
It's also probably fine in the US as a town only car - but too large and
expensive for that role in the UK.

That's probably why I don't really see them around here - sure, we have
most things available in town here, but the distances involved to get
to the more interesting stuff (or visit relatives etc.) are typically
quite large.

I've no objections to hybrids in principle - and they are getting better
all the time. Just object to fraudulent claims about what they can
achieve - and of course those who believe them without question.

Personally I worry about the longevity of them without expensive
repairs/replacements of critical components - but then I suppose I do that
with modern IC-engined vehicles, too. I don't mind stuff wearing out, but
I do object to it when it's uneconomical to fix the problems and it ends
up working out far cheaper to throw the whole lot away and start again.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules" wrote in message
news
Fuel consumption assessments between the US and UK always seem a bit
meaningless incidentally - the gallon sizes are different, the
octane ratings are different, the way the octane ratings are arrived at is
different, the way the manufacturer's MPG claims are worked out is
different...

The Prius mpg claims in the UK were correct as mine did what they said. The
US mpg tests are different. The new Prius is even better again.

Once the Vauxhall Amera (Chevy Volt) is out using a series-hybrid setup all
will adopt series hybrid. Tests at GM are giving it 60mpg running off the
genny set alone. The car is driven by electric motors only.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules" wrote in message
news
Personally I worry about the longevity of them without expensive
repairs/replacements of critical components - but then I suppose I do that
with modern IC-engined vehicles, too. I don't mind stuff wearing out, but
I do object to it when it's uneconomical to fix the problems and it ends
up working out far cheaper to throw the whole lot away and start again.

The Prius is the most reliable car in the world - JD Power and me. The
Prius is simple and has less components than other cars. It is super smooth
and quiet and a joy to drive. The Prius batteries are expected to last 12
years and warranteed for 8. After 12 years if the batteries need replacing
they will be cheaper and far better as batter technology has moved on a lot.
The cost of replacement right now is less than replacing an auto
transmission. When you replace an auto transmission you are back to the same
point. Replace the batteries to an advanced set and the car is improved
greatly having new lease of life.

They will be on the roads for eons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message

From my experience with batteries, that means they will last 8 years and a
few days.

How long have you had a Prius.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The Prius mpg claims in the UK were correct as mine did what they said.

Yes - that Dinky toy uses very little petrol

The US mpg tests are different.

Why would different tests make any difference to the actual MPG in the
real world?

The new Prius is even better again.

It certainly needed to be. The original only managed 24 MPG overall in a
real world test.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
The Prius mpg claims in the UK were correct as mine did what they said.

Yes

You must eff off as you are a total Jocko plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The Prius mpg claims in the UK were correct as my Dinky toy one did
far more miles than they said.

Yes

You must eff off as you are a total Jocko plantpot.

Aren't you normally paralytic by this time? Would anyone know the
difference?

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:13:45 +1300, Gib Bogle
wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Jules" wrote in message
news
[...]

From my experience with batteries, that means they will last 8 years and a few
days.

I'd like to bet that in fewer than 8 years there won't be a suitable
replacement battery because of physical size, voltage, charging
arrangements or whatever. Just look at consumer 'brown goods'
technology.
So your 'pride and joy' eco-friendly car will have to be totally
scrapped after just a few years... Just a bit less eco-friendly,
innit.

I hate that American word "warrantee" anyway!

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The new Prius is even better again.

It certainly needed to be. The original only managed 24 MPG overall in a
real world test.

Looking at secondhand values shows what a poor buy the Prius is. They
depreciate faster than if they had been pushed off a cliff. And they're
remarkably poor VfM even then, since one is buying a car with a battery
that can cost £1000s to replace. An Avensis diesel has similar mpg
claims (and much better real-world mpg) and it's a larger, more
practical vehicle than the laughable Priapus.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

The Prius is the most reliable car in the world - JD Power and me. The
Prius is simple and has less components than other cars.

What a load of old cock.

BTW, "fewer", not "less". Then at least your statement would be
gramatically correct although still being a load of old ********.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:13:45 +1300, Gib Bogle
wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Jules" wrote in message
news
[...]

From my experience with batteries, that means they will last 8 years and
a few
days.

I'd like to bet that in fewer than 8 years there won't be a suitable
replacement battery because of physical size, voltage, charging
arrangements or whatever. Just look at consumer 'brown goods'
technology.
So your 'pride and joy' eco-friendly car will have to be totally
scrapped after just a few years... Just a bit less eco-friendly,
innit.

You made that up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

The Prius is the most reliable car in the world - JD Power and me. The
Prius is simple and has less components than other cars.

What

This pervo needs tagging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 00:32:59 +0000 Frank Erskine wrote :
I'd like to bet that in fewer than 8 years there won't be a suitable
replacement battery because of physical size, voltage, charging
arrangements or whatever. Just look at consumer 'brown goods'
technology.
So your 'pride and joy' eco-friendly car will have to be totally
scrapped after just a few years... Just a bit less eco-friendly,
innit.

I would have thought that the one thing that is likely to be available
is replacement batteries. A failed transmission might be a different
matter.

But the point is well made with regard to all cars; when I was young
they rusted away before they wore out, or if they wore out replacing
engines and transmissions was relatively cheap. I've been told, and
quite believe it, that the cost of replacing the CVT transmission on a
Honda Jazz (I owned two, brilliant cars) is such that on a 7+ year old
car it's economically a write off.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 00:37:55 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:
Looking at secondhand values shows what a poor buy the Prius is. They
depreciate faster than if they had been pushed off a cliff.

Hmm, I'd like to see a vid of that - I imagine it'd be up there with that
one of the Smart car being piled into the concrete block at high
speed...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message

From my experience with batteries, that means they will last 8 years
and a few days.

How long have you had a Prius.

Did I say I had a Prius? If so, that was in error.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Prius batteries are expected to last 12 years and warranteed for 8."

From my experience with batteries, that means they will last 8 years and a few
days.

I'd like to bet that in fewer than 8 years there won't be a suitable
replacement battery because of physical size, voltage, charging
arrangements or whatever. Just look at consumer 'brown goods'
technology.
So your 'pride and joy' eco-friendly car will have to be totally
scrapped after just a few years... Just a bit less eco-friendly,
innit.

What I'd like to know is how much its going to cost to upgrade all the
mains power infrastructure and where is all this extra leccy coming from
anyway?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
"The Prius batteries are expected to last 12 years and warranteed for 8."

From my experience with batteries, that means they will last 8 years and a few
days.

I'd like to bet that in fewer than 8 years there won't be a suitable
replacement battery because of physical size, voltage, charging
arrangements or whatever. Just look at consumer 'brown goods'
technology.
So your 'pride and joy' eco-friendly car will have to be totally
scrapped after just a few years... Just a bit less eco-friendly,
innit.

What I'd like to know is how much its going to cost to upgrade all the
mains power infrastructure and where is all this extra leccy coming from
anyway?..

1/. Quite a bit. Especially for windpower which is not generated where
its consumed. Prces range from aboutr 1/10th of teh generation capacity
capital cost for a nuke, to aboiut 1/3rd or ghgher for offshore
windfarms. The 'african desert powers Europe' scenario places the
transmission costs at or above the generation plant build.

And that doesn't even cover the overnight storage required.

2/. In the real world, nuclear and coal sets for the next 20 years. In
LaLa land from any fashionable renewable resource you care to pay ten
times as much for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

What I'd like to know is how much its going to cost to upgrade all the
mains power infrastructure and where is all this extra leccy coming from
anyway?..

1/. Quite a bit. Especially for windpower which is not generated where
its consumed. Prces range from aboutr 1/10th of teh generation capacity
capital cost for a nuke, to aboiut 1/3rd or ghgher for offshore
windfarms. The 'african desert powers Europe' scenario places the
transmission costs at or above the generation plant build.

And that doesn't even cover the overnight storage required.

2/. In the real world, nuclear and coal sets for the next 20 years. In
LaLa land from any fashionable renewable resource you care to pay ten
times as much for.

My renewable favourite is tidal power (*not* tidal barrage, let me make
it clear). Take your windmill, turn it upside down, and stick it in the
water. Tides happen twice everyday, everywhere, and, conveniently, at
different times around the country, thus evening out the power generation.

My niece who is in the renewables business, does emphasise to me that no
single renewable solution is going to be a magic bullet. Not wind, and
not my tidal jobby.

It's gonna have to be nuclear (and should have been all along).

--
Tim

"That the freedom of speech and debates or proceedings in Parliament
ought not to be impeached or questioned in any court or place out of
Parliament"

Bill of Rights 1689

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gib Bogle wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message

From my experience with batteries, that means they will last 8 years
and a few days.

How long have you had a Prius.

Did I say I had a Prius? If so, that was in error.

Dribble claims to own one. But that's an 'error' too. He's claimed to own
just about every car ever made at various times. Claims to have a degree
as well. He's good at claiming things. ;-)

--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
Not wind,
and not my tidal jobby.

I hate it when you find one of those on the beach. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:35:37 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
My renewable favourite is tidal power (*not* tidal barrage, let me make
it clear). Take your windmill, turn it upside down, and stick it in the
water. Tides happen twice everyday, everywhere, and, conveniently, at
different times around the country, thus evening out the power generation.

What's the longevity of those like? Maintenance must be a right pain, and
I can imagine salt water and critters cause problems rather quickly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2010 14:03, Jules wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:35:37 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
My renewable favourite is tidal power (*not* tidal barrage, let me make
it clear). Take your windmill, turn it upside down, and stick it in the
water. Tides happen twice everyday, everywhere, and, conveniently, at
different times around the country, thus evening out the power generation.

What's the longevity of those like? Maintenance must be a right pain, and
I can imagine salt water and critters cause problems rather quickly.

Dunno, but it must be a similar technology to whatever they'd use in a
tidal barrage. Salt water in both cases.

--
Tim

"That the freedom of speech and debates or proceedings in Parliament
ought not to be impeached or questioned in any court or place out of
Parliament"

Bill of Rights 1689
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:20:40 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

On 23/02/2010 14:03, Jules wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:35:37 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
My renewable favourite is tidal power (*not* tidal barrage, let me make
it clear). Take your windmill, turn it upside down, and stick it in the
water. Tides happen twice everyday, everywhere, and, conveniently, at
different times around the country, thus evening out the power generation.

What's the longevity of those like? Maintenance must be a right pain, and
I can imagine salt water and critters cause problems rather quickly.

Dunno, but it must be a similar technology to whatever they'd use in a
tidal barrage. Salt water in both cases.

I thought the tidal ones were (taking a rather simplistic view)
essentially big float - pivoting axle - gearbox - generator?

In other words, the only bit in the water is the float, with all
the serious gubbins above the water level. Not that there aren't
issues with salt spray, I'm sure - but I'd expect it to last a lot longer
than some kind of undersea windmill.

cheers

Jules