Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A question for the trading plumbers, gas fitters and sparkies? OT

After posting in another newsgroup I have stumbled across the Cancellation
of Contracts made in a Consumers Home or Placer of work etc. Regulations
2008. I run a gas safe company and deal mainly with the public in their
homes, how are you guys handling these regs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob" wrote in message

After posting in another newsgroup I have stumbled across the Cancellation
of Contracts made in a Consumers Home or Placer of work etc. Regulations
2008. I run a gas safe company and deal mainly with the public in their
homes, how are you guys handling these regs?

Reading them ?

They don't apply to Building Work and similar which is exempt under schedule
3
of the regulations.

quote

SCHEDULE 3

Excepted contracts

1. A contract for the construction, sale or rental of immovable property
or a contract concerning other rights relating to immovable property other
than—

(a) a contract for the construction of extensions, patios, conservatories or
driveways;
(b) a contract for the supply of goods and their incorporation in immovable
property; and
(c) a contract for the repair, refurbishment or improvement of immovable
property.

quote

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

Surely that covers almost everything a tradesman would do?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:10:10 +0000, Bob wrote:

After posting in another newsgroup I have stumbled across the Cancellation
of Contracts made in a Consumers Home or Placer of work etc. Regulations
2008. I run a gas safe company and deal mainly with the public in their
homes, how are you guys handling these regs?

I've recently incorporated it in the boilerplate of my quotes and
estimates, but I really need to print off some forms to give to people and
get them to sign when I go round to do work for them.

Fortunately in the one instance where it could have been an issue - a
customer who refused to pay me more than a pittance for replacing a hot
water cylinder which split when I was trying to replace the immersion -
evidently neither the customer not Trading Standards (who they complained
to) had heard of it, or I'd have been scuppered. (Instead I got my payment
through Small Claims.)

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Life is nature's way of keeping meat fresh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

(Depending upon what you meant by your post) you seem to have missed the
"other than".

Whilst contracts for complete buildings are exempt, extensions and other
improvements are not.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
[...]

This is probably covered by the clause about "(do) the supply of goods to
meet an emergency" when payment can only be refused for goods not yet
supplied at point of cancellation.

tim