Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing breakfast bar to wall

Hi

What would be the best way of attaching a breakfast bar to a wall.
Obviously the legs will be on opposite edge to the edge which is flush with
the wall. I was thinking of screwing a batten to the wall, putting the
worktop on this, then attach the worktop to the batten with "L" brackets?

Any other suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 19, 3:56 pm, "slider" wrote:
Hi

What would be the best way of attaching a breakfast bar to a wall.
Obviously the legs will be on opposite edge to the edge which is flush with
the wall. I was thinking of screwing a batten to the wall, putting the
worktop on this, then attach the worktop to the batten with "L" brackets?

Any other suggestions?

forget the brackets use gripfill & skew screws from the batten up into
worktop? as long as you're not envisaging shagging on it that should
do? ;))

or forget batten and use meatier brackets on wall (could hide bracket
uprights when plastering - if it's one of them jobs...)

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Jan, 15:56, "slider" wrote:

What would be the best way of attaching a breakfast bar to a wall.

Screw batten to wall, rest breakfast bar on that. Support other end
with leg. Redesign batten for tidiness, possibly by sitting it
entirely within a rebate in the bottom edge of the top.

If there's no leg, then make a welded steel cantilever, which will
need some vertical depth on its mounting plate. Screw this to wall,
then rest breakfast bar on it. Again, you can rebate it into the top
to hide it. You can even hide its cantilevered arms in grooves.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
slider wrote:
Hi

What would be the best way of attaching a breakfast bar to a wall.
Obviously the legs will be on opposite edge to the edge which is
flush with the wall. I was thinking of screwing a batten to the
wall, putting the worktop on this, then attach the worktop to the
batten with "L" brackets? Any other suggestions?

The simplest solution would be drill the batten on two sides, then
screw the to the wall with one set of holes, and screw up into the
worktop via the other.

You could even counterbore the holes going upwards to reduce the length of
screws required.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

slider formulated the question :
What would be the best way of attaching a breakfast bar to a wall. Obviously
the legs will be on opposite edge to the edge which is flush with the wall.
I was thinking of screwing a batten to the wall, putting the worktop on
this, then attach the worktop to the batten with "L" brackets?

That is exactly what I did. I used rawlbolts to fix to the wall, as the
fairly big screws eventually pulled out with kids banging into the
table end. Also make sure the end of the table corners are rounded/45
angled, or you will live to regret it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"slider" wrote

Hi

What would be the best way of attaching a breakfast bar to a wall.
Obviously the legs will be on opposite edge to the edge which is flush
with the wall. I was thinking of screwing a batten to the wall, putting
the worktop on this, then attach the worktop to the batten with "L"
brackets?

Any other suggestions?

With hinges and removable legs, so it can be stowed (if space is an issue).

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

El martes, 19 de enero de 2010, 15:56:53 (UTC), slider escribió:
Hi

What would be the best way of attaching a breakfast bar to a wall.
Obviously the legs will be on opposite edge to the edge which is flush with
the wall. I was thinking of screwing a batten to the wall, putting the
worktop on this, then attach the worktop to the batten with "L" brackets?

Any other suggestions?

question about kitchen wall cabinets - fixing to wall benpost UK diy 15 May 15th 08 03:12 PM
Fixing radiator to wall Martin Pentreath UK diy 8 January 12th 07 11:36 PM
fixing lcd tv to wall svmsbb UK diy 3 June 27th 06 10:12 PM
fixing wall plate SoWeezy UK diy 13 June 1st 06 12:26 AM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM