Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler Scrappage scheme

Interesting choice of boiler illustrating article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8440610.stm

Caption contest, anyone? ;-)

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

"I used to think correlation implied causation.
Then I took a statistics course and now I don't."
"Sounds as if the statistics course helped."
"Well, maybe."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message ...
Interesting choice of boiler illustrating article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8440610.stm

Caption contest, anyone? ;-)

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Doesn't look that old to my untrained eye.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 8:02*am, "Graham." wrote:
Doesn't look that old to my untrained eye.

That Potterton isn't G rated. Its just stock video they are using in
the news piece. I can't see what the other boiler is but again I doubt
its G rated. Any G rated boiler would be a floor standing beast with
a big old lump of cast iron as the heat exchanger.

Now the question is how are they going to police the scheme to stop
someone calling up and fibbing as to which boiler they currently have.
Once its been replaced its too late unless they require you to keep
the old databadge as proof. Somehow I doubt they are that bothered.

Dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Starling" wrote in message
On Jan 5, 8:02 am, "Graham." wrote:
Doesn't look that old to my untrained eye.

That Potterton isn't G rated. Its just stock video they are using in
the news piece. I can't see what the other boiler is but again I doubt
its G rated. Any G rated boiler would be a floor standing beast with
a big old lump of cast iron as the heat exchanger.

Now the question is how are they going to police the scheme to stop
someone calling up and fibbing as to which boiler they currently have.
Once its been replaced its too late unless they require you to keep
the old databadge as proof. Somehow I doubt they are that bothered.

To the panel:
In the farmhouse we have a circa 1970 Potterton sectional cast iron oil
fired boiler. It now has a Inter by (Bentone) burner fitted. At the last
service the engineer did the flue readings with his whizzo tool. Result was
it was running at 93% efficiency.

We also have an all singing all dancing 3 yr old W-B which when sniffed
came out at 91% effic. which surprised me.

So, is the Potterton past its sell by date??

Tim..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jan, 11:46, "Tim.." wrote:
"Dave Starling" wrote in message

On Jan 5, 8:02 am, "Graham." wrote: Doesn't look that old to my untrained eye.

[...]

Potterton BOA with inbuilt draught diverter flap at the rear of the
flue offtake?
All too many service "engineers" fall into the trap of taking flue gas
temperature readings from the flue after the introduction of cooling
dilution air.
Regardless of what burner you have I'd be astounded if you actually
had anything approaching 80% true efficiency from that model. The
Inter-oil burner is a decent model but it can't do the impossible.
Now as to whether its worth changing such a reliable boiler is another
matter entirely and you can bet the swappage schem will require
installation by an authorised installer whose prices will negate the
advantage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"cynic" wrote in message
On 5 Jan, 11:46, "Tim.." wrote:
[...]

Yes, the very same beast. However, I watched him do it, and he sampled from
the lower enamel cover below the draught diverter. As you say, I was very
surprised at what the machine said...

Tim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jan, 13:22, "Tim.." wrote:
"cynic" wrote in message

On 5 Jan, 11:46, "Tim.." wrote:

[...]

Tim.- Hide quoted text -

The cold air is still mixed with the flue gases at that point unless a
long probe is used, I used to cover the flap during the temperature
measuring period. There is also the matter of dwell time to allow the
temperature probe to stabilise even with correct immersion in the flue
gases. My electroninc analyser could take up to 3 or 4 minutes before
it stabilised. Oddly enough the old dial thermometer in conjunction
with a Fyrite wet CO2 analyser and slide rule was quicker and I felt
more reliable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
cynic writes:

The cold air is still mixed with the flue gases at that point unless a
long probe is used, I used to cover the flap during the temperature
measuring period. There is also the matter of dwell time to allow the
temperature probe to stabilise even with correct immersion in the flue
gases. My electroninc analyser could take up to 3 or 4 minutes before
it stabilised. Oddly enough the old dial thermometer in conjunction
with a Fyrite wet CO2 analyser and slide rule was quicker and I felt
more reliable.

Also, was the boiler fully up to temperature?
If it's still cold, you'll get amazing efficiency reported;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 08:02:19 +0000, Graham. wrote:

Doesn't look that old to my untrained eye.

It's not, but it's notoriously unreliable, to the extent that it (and its
manufacturer, Potterton) has even featured on "Watchdog". So, not a
candidate for the scrappage scheme but, given the above, and combined with
the choice of that model by some BBC hack (maybe one of its victims?) to
illustrate the scheme, possibly a candidate for the humorous attentions of
the uk.d-i-y posseee.

Or not, maybe :-|

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Hypnotising Hypnotists Can Be Tricky
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , YAPH
writes
Interesting choice of boiler illustrating article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8440610.stm

Caption contest, anyone? ;-)

Ooh - a Suprima

never seen one of those before in my life

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , YAPH
Tue, 5 Jan 2010 07:36:57 writes

Interesting choice of boiler illustrating article.

Does the fitter have to be registered with the scheme or can any fitter
participate?

According to the web site I found cheques should start rolling within
the next two weeks or so!
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Les Desser" wrote in message
In article , YAPH
Tue, 5 Jan 2010 07:36:57 writes

Interesting choice of boiler illustrating article.

Does the fitter have to be registered with the scheme or can any fitter
participate?

According to the web site I found cheques should start rolling within the
next two weeks or so!
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

http://www.boilerscrappagescheme.co.uk/2010/01/government-boiler-scrappage-scheme-finally-launched.php

suggests that you can use any installer.

Now how will this be policed. Random spot checks on applicants?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth Thu, 7 Jan 2010 15:32:30
writes

http://www.boilerscrappagescheme.co.uk/2010/01/government-boiler-scrappage-scheme-finally-launched.php

Vary slow to load ....[*]

suggests that you can use any installer.

The Energy Saving Trust seems to be the one running the scheme

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/...products/Heati
ng-and-hot-water/Boiler-scrappage-scheme

Quote:

Who can carry out the installation of your new boiler?

Installation of a gas or oil boiler must be carried out by an installer
registered with a competent person's scheme (such as GasSafe or OFTEC).
Installation of a microgeneration technology must be carried out by a
person qualified under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme.

..
..[*] still waiting ....
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Les Desser" wrote in message
In article , ARWadsworth
Thu, 7 Jan 2010 15:32:30 writes

http://www.boilerscrappagescheme.co.uk/2010/01/government-boiler-scrappage-scheme-finally-launched.php

Vary slow to load ....[*]

suggests that you can use any installer.

The Energy Saving Trust seems to be the one running the scheme

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/...products/Heati
ng-and-hot-water/Boiler-scrappage-scheme

Quote:

Who can carry out the installation of your new boiler?

Installation of a gas or oil boiler must be carried out by an installer
registered with a competent person's scheme (such as GasSafe or OFTEC).
Installation of a microgeneration technology must be carried out by a
person qualified under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme.

.

[*] still waiting ....

Give them chance. It did not work at all for two days after the scheme was
launched:-)

Both sites suggests any GasSafe installer can install a gas boiler and the
householder can claim back £400. I cannot see a list of approved installers.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
Thu, 7 Jan 2010 17:28:57 writes

Both sites suggests any GasSafe installer can install a gas boiler

Is "GasSafe" the new name for "CORGI"?
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Les Desser
wibbled on Thursday 07 January 2010 21:30

In article , ARWadsworth
Thu, 7 Jan 2010 17:28:57 writes

Both sites suggests any GasSafe installer can install a gas boiler

Is "GasSafe" the new name for "CORGI"?

Yes. Only happened a short while back.

--
Tim Watts

You know you need more insulation when the snow blanket on the roof makes
the house 3 degrees warmer...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 21:30:03 +0000, Les Desser wrote:

Is "GasSafe" the new name for "CORGI"?

No, what happened was ... oh, I CBA, but I've written about it here
http://yaph.co.uk/CORGI-GasSafe

Do keep up at the back sigh! ;-)

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Procrastinate now!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , YAPH
Fri, 8 Jan 2010 01:15:46 writes

No,

Thanks Tim for the Yes and thanks John for the No

I understand exactly what you both mean
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

Boiler scrappage scheme Vass[_8_] UK diy 23 December 14th 09 07:57 PM
Boiler Scrappage Roger Mills UK diy 49 December 12th 09 08:10 AM
Boiler scrappage scheme David UK diy 15 August 1st 09 11:34 PM
Looking for a Scheme norform Electronics Repair 3 July 5th 08 10:21 PM
new color scheme velvet_storm1 Home Repair 1 November 7th 06 11:41 PM