Posted to uk.d-i-y
cynic cynic is offline

Default Boiler Scrappage scheme

On 5 Jan, 11:46, "Tim.." wrote:
"Dave Starling" wrote in message

On Jan 5, 8:02 am, "Graham." wrote: Doesn't look that old to my untrained eye.

That Potterton isn't G rated. Its just stock video they are using in
the news piece. I can't see what the other boiler is but again I doubt
its G rated. *Any G rated boiler would be a floor standing beast with
a big old lump of cast iron as the heat exchanger.

Now the question is how are they going to police the scheme to stop
someone calling up and fibbing as to which boiler they currently have.
Once its been replaced its too late unless they require you to keep
the old databadge as proof. Somehow I doubt they are that bothered.

To the panel:
In the farmhouse we have a circa 1970 Potterton sectional cast iron oil
fired boiler. It now has a Inter by (Bentone) burner fitted. At the last
service the engineer did the flue readings with his whizzo tool. Result was
it was running at 93% efficiency.

We also have an all singing all dancing *3 yr old W-B which when sniffed
came out at 91% effic. which surprised me.

So, is the Potterton past its sell by date??

Tim..

Potterton BOA with inbuilt draught diverter flap at the rear of the
flue offtake?
All too many service "engineers" fall into the trap of taking flue gas
temperature readings from the flue after the introduction of cooling
dilution air.
Regardless of what burner you have I'd be astounded if you actually
had anything approaching 80% true efficiency from that model. The
Inter-oil burner is a decent model but it can't do the impossible.
Now as to whether its worth changing such a reliable boiler is another
matter entirely and you can bet the swappage schem will require
installation by an authorised installer whose prices will negate the
advantage.