Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Window Leak: Can't Find the Cause

I’ve got a leak in some upstairs windows & just can’t work out where
it’s coming in. Drops appear at the top of the window frame in 2 or 3
different places (see he http://bit.ly/7nu4E0) but normally only 1
place at a time. It happens in strong wind & rain.

I guess the leak is either coming in from the outside through the
window frame or is somehow coming through via the inside - above the
room is the loft, but I can’t see any obvious signs of water getting
in on the inside up there.

There’s a ledge on the outside of the window frame, about 3 inches
wide which runs the length of the outside window frame (see the
photos). It’s just above where the water gets – is the most likely
suspect?

The frames need painting, which I’ll do in the spring, but I’d love to
track it down as it’s rapidly getting worse.

Any experience of what’s the most likely suspect or suggestions for
tracking it down would be much appreciated.

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael D wrote:

[...]

Its getting in higher and coming down between the walls. I had
this..final strawin demolishing the house, but you dont want to hear that.

I would have sugguested the bargeboards, but its more likely the
weatherboding above the drip board is actually gone somewhere..paintwork
looks bad. Also the drip board SHOULD be raked down a few degrees.

TBH faced with that, Id get up a ladder and rip those bioards off
completely.

Depending on what is underneath a bit of plastic sheet, or Tyvek, and
new boards sealed with mastic and more paint..is indicated.

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:23:50 -0800, Michael D wrote:
Theres a ledge on the outside of the window frame, about 3 inches
wide which runs the length of the outside window frame (see the
photos). Its just above where the water gets €“ is the most likely
suspect?

I'd certainly start with that; as a very cheap test, seal along the join
with some sealant and see if the problem goes away (nowt wrong with it as
a more permanent solution either, but you'd be better off stripping all
that flaking paint off, re-painting and then sealing afterwards if so)

Any experience of whats the most likely suspect or suggestions for
tracking it down would be much appreciated.

If the above doesn't help, it might be worth noting what the wind
speed / direction is whenever it does happen - maybe that'll give a clue
as the source...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any experience of what’s the most likely suspect or suggestions for
tracking it down would be much appreciated.

Picture 4 of 5 looks like the top overhanging board isn't sealed at the base
of it. Water could be penetrating there when there is wind.
I'd first seal there and then possible look above if water is still getting
in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael D wrote:
[...]

I'd have to say that it's getting in above the ledge that you mention.

In the first photo, of the peak and the window top, there is a joint where
the ledge you mention meets something else - there is a black line along it
and it looks like it could be a lead flashing - the five vertical beams look
like they are stood on top of this, but I assume there is a horizontal one
at the bottom, onto which this flashing will probably be fixed, to shed
water which is driven towards the rendering, down onto the dripper above the
frame - I think it's where the flashing meets the crossbeam where the water
is getting in, but it's difficult to tell from that picture as I can't zoom
in on it.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Michael D wrote:
[...]

Forgot to add here that the ledge is already past the outside of the window
frame, even in the 'L' IYSWIM - so even if it was leaking through, the water
would surely run down the outside of the frame, not the inside.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael D wrote:

[...]

If it only happens in strong wind, chances are it's blowing into a joint
somewhere. If it happens with rain and no wind, it could be soaking into
the masonry above and working its way down on the inside. I'd try raking
out and sealing all the timber joints as a start. Nice job for the new year
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:

Theres a ledge on the outside of the window frame, about 3 inches
wide which runs the length of the outside window frame (see the
photos). Its just above where the water gets €“ is the most likely
suspect?

I'd certainly start with that; as a very cheap test, seal along the join
with some sealant and see if the problem goes away (nowt wrong with it as
a more permanent solution either, but you'd be better off stripping all
that flaking paint off, re-painting and then sealing afterwards if so)

I've a rather similar problem.
What sealant would you recommend?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:23:50 -0800 (PST), Michael D
wrote:

[...]

I have a similar problem. Mine is down to some of the mortar being
missing, under the tiles, on our side gable, just over the cavity of
our back wall. A local builder replaced most of the mortar in the
summer but couldn't get to all of it (awkward access) and that stopped
the worst of it but when the wind is in the wrong direction, we still
have a slight problem. Will get him to do it when the weather
improves. It doesn't affect the bedroom window but leaks in above the
ground floor 3m sliding doors to the conservatory. So, it may be worth
checking that your tiles are set properly.

Leak Around Window - I can't find the source. Request advice or comments, please. Eric Kent Home Repair 5 March 13th 07 01:58 PM
Window air leak PaPaPeng Home Repair 4 February 24th 07 12:03 AM
Find location of a water leak?? [email protected] Home Repair 16 April 12th 06 03:56 PM
water leak in front yard from main - How to find [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 15th 05 11:44 PM
Window Leak Troubleshoot [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 22nd 05 02:27 AM