Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L[_2_] Phil L[_2_] is offline

Default Window Leak: Can't Find the Cause

Phil L wrote:
Michael D wrote:
I’ve got a leak in some upstairs windows & just can’t work out where
it’s coming in. Drops appear at the top of the window frame in 2 or
3 different places (see he http://bit.ly/7nu4E0) but normally
only 1 place at a time. It happens in strong wind & rain.

I guess the leak is either coming in from the outside through the
window frame or is somehow coming through via the inside - above the
room is the loft, but I can’t see any obvious signs of water getting
in on the inside up there.

There’s a ledge on the outside of the window frame, about 3 inches
wide which runs the length of the outside window frame (see the
photos). It’s just above where the water gets – is the most likely
suspect?

The frames need painting, which I’ll do in the spring, but I’d love
to track it down as it’s rapidly getting worse.

Any experience of what’s the most likely suspect or suggestions for
tracking it down would be much appreciated.

Michael

I'd have to say that it's getting in above the ledge that you mention.

Forgot to add here that the ledge is already past the outside of the window
frame, even in the 'L' IYSWIM - so even if it was leaking through, the water
would surely run down the outside of the frame, not the inside.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008