Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window air leak

I have casement windows, the ones that open with a lever, are hinged
on top and tilt outwards. Two frames have parted away from the wall
and opened up a slit around 1/8 inch wide. Cold winter air is coming
out of them. I had checked from the outside stucco wall and the
stucco seems intact. Any force on them will most likely crack and
shatter the stucco. That is I won't be able to use a rubber mallet to
knock back the frame into place. From the inside the wood trim is
right against the wall too and doesn't seem to have any room for me to
make any adjustments. I hate to take out the trim to check in case
that's not the solution. Any suggestion how I should attack the
problem? I am pretty handy when it comes to tools and fixes.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 03:23:14 GMT, PaPaPeng wrote:

I have casement windows, the ones that open with a lever, are hinged
on top and tilt outwards. Two frames have parted away from the wall

pARTED away in what direction?

At what side(s) are the frames still attached?

and opened up a slit around 1/8 inch wide. Cold winter air is coming
out of them. I had checked from the outside stucco wall and the
stucco seems intact. Any force on them will most likely crack and
shatter the stucco.

??

That is I won't be able to use a rubber mallet to
knock back the frame into place.

Which direction?

If you just want to put the frame back where it was, how is the frame
going to hit the stucco?

How much space between the frame and the stucco at the part of the
fram farthest away from where it should be? How about the middle of
the window that is only half as far away?

From the inside the wood trim is
right against the wall too and doesn't seem to have any room for me to
make any adjustments. I hate to take out the trim to check in case
that's not the solution. Any suggestion how I should attack the
problem? I am pretty handy when it comes to tools and fixes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:14:50 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 03:23:14 GMT, PaPaPeng wrote:

I have casement windows, the ones that open with a lever, are hinged
on top and tilt outwards. Two frames have parted away from the wall

pARTED away in what direction?

At what side(s) are the frames still attached?

The window dimensions are 5 ft wide x 3 ft high. The left hand half
is fixed double glazed glass. The the RH half is openable. This
window is installed as a factory manufactured unit from the outside.
The outside wall studs are 6 inch. Therefore the inside of the window
(sized for standard 4 inch wall studs) needs a 2 inch wood strip to
make up the rest of the wall thickness. The parting is between the
manufactured window frame and this make-up wood strip, just on the
horizontal strip, the other partings being narrower until there is no
parting on the upper horizontal strip.

and opened up a slit around 1/8 inch wide. Cold winter air is coming
out of them. I had checked from the outside stucco wall and the
stucco seems intact. Any force on them will most likely crack and
shatter the stucco.

??

That is I won't be able to use a rubber mallet to
knock back the frame into place.

Which direction?

I cannot use a mallet from the outside to pound in the window frame as
the stucco looks firmly attached to the outside window frame. The
stucco had been trowelled right up to the window.

If you just want to put the frame back where it was, how is the frame
going to hit the stucco?

How much space between the frame and the stucco at the part of the
fram farthest away from where it should be? How about the middle of
the window that is only half as far away?

From the inside the wood trim is
right against the wall too and doesn't seem to have any room for me to
make any adjustments. I hate to take out the trim to check in case
that's not the solution. Any suggestion how I should attack the
problem? I am pretty handy when it comes to tools and fixes.

After describing the problem I think I will remove the trim from the
room side and see what I can do. Else I'll just insert in more
fiberglass insulation to fill up the gap and put on a thin veneer
strip over bhe old trim and make everything look good.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 22, 9:23 pm, PaPaPeng wrote:

snip
Take off the trim on the inside and fill the gaps with a latex foam
like the one DAP makes. Check for air leaks after it sets and then
reinstall trim. Look for tips on trim removal at sites like 'This Old
House' (Use Google). HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 03:23:14 GMT, PaPaPeng wrote:

I have casement windows, the ones that open with a lever, are hinged
on top and tilt outwards. Two frames have parted away from the wall
and opened up a slit around 1/8 inch wide. Cold winter air is coming
out of them. I had checked from the outside stucco wall and the
stucco seems intact. Any force on them will most likely crack and
shatter the stucco. That is I won't be able to use a rubber mallet to
knock back the frame into place. From the inside the wood trim is
right against the wall too and doesn't seem to have any room for me to
make any adjustments. I hate to take out the trim to check in case
that's not the solution. Any suggestion how I should attack the
problem? I am pretty handy when it comes to tools and fixes.

Got photos you can share?

tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com