Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hanging a chandelier?

Two chandeliers, one small, one medium. At present they're on chains
from a screwed in hook plate, with a tin bucket rose over chocolate
block.

For easier cleaning I'd like to replace this with a slide-in
connector. Klik do their well-known one, there's also the Lewden
ceiling maestro that TLC sell.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...s_2/index.html

The Klik is less than convincing as a mechanical connector, but it's
cheap (couple of quid from Direct Electrical).

The Lewden looks like a sensible dovetail wedge, but it's twelve quid
each.

Both claim 5kg load, which I understand is a regulatory limit on
flexible cord suspension. Klik then claim 10kg limit on the fitting
itself, or 15kg for the Lewden with a hook and chain. I find the Klik
hard to believe here - that's quite a weight for the tiny clips, and
how do you support any weight _except_ by the cord alone?

Any hands-on experience of either of them? Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ceiling maestro that TLC sell.http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...es_Menu_Index/...

The Klik is less than convincing as a mechanical connector, but it's
cheap (couple of quid from Direct Electrical).

The Lewden looks like a sensible dovetail wedge, but it's twelve quid
each.

Both claim 5kg load, which I understand is a regulatory limit on
flexible cord suspension. Klik then claim 10kg limit on the fitting
itself, or 15kg for the Lewden with a hook and chain. I find the Klik
hard to believe here - that's quite a weight for the tiny clips, and
how do you support any weight _except_ by the cord alone?

Any hands-on experience of either of them? Thanks.

Decent mechanical suspension , hook plate, seperate from electrical
connector, plug in rose, they are OK for a pendant with a shade ,
beyond that risk of a Phantom of The Opera incident becomes bigger....

For crystal Sparkle Plenty, John Lewis stock it

http://www.sparkleplentyinc.com/Spar...erCleaner.html

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

Just don't do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLy5sP4gl1g

;-)

We have a fancy one in the livingroom - it's held up by 2 independant
loops of 220lb nylon cord which we use to lower it from the room above...
(Suspened from hooks screwed into a large addition to the joist which
was used to support the old gas lighting - well, I'm suspecting that's
what it was for as there is some old piping nearby and a few scorch
marks surrounding it)

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:37:47 -0800, Andy Dingley wrote:

Two chandeliers, one small, one medium. At present they're on chains
from a screwed in hook plate, with a tin bucket rose over chocolate
block.

For easier cleaning I'd like to replace this with a slide-in connector.
Klik do their well-known one, there's also the Lewden ceiling maestro
that TLC sell.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...es_Menu_Index/

Lighting_Accessories_2/index.html

The Klik is less than convincing as a mechanical connector, but it's
cheap (couple of quid from Direct Electrical).

The Lewden looks like a sensible dovetail wedge, but it's twelve quid
each.

I've used the Klik one a lot here, so I'm familiar with it in real life.
I wouldn't trust 5kg to it, unless I was using a safety chain or some
other proper method of support.

Used a Lewden years ago and it was great. That *did* support a heavy
weight and I had complete confidence in it.

I think you should bite the bullet and cough up! :-)
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

That has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seem :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

Errrm. I do have experience of dropping a customers chadelier once,
thankfully only & B&Q jobbby, still cost me £80 to replace it :-(

If you can mechanically fix the chandelier & use one of these for the power?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCT100C.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Nov, 10:55, "The Medway Handyman"
If you can mechanically fix the chandelier & use one of these for the power?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCT100C.html

I've got those things powering the big sodiums in the workshop.
Trouble is they're too long to fit inside a rose. I was considering a
hook inside a rose, but then I'd maybe use the Klik as simply a
connector.

I'll probably buy the Lewdens.

Thanks for the Sparkle Plenty tip too. Good to see you can it in 40
gallon drums, if you're the Duke of something.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Use a proper mechanical hook/chain/rope for the weight.
Use a Klik ceiling rose for the power.

The klik ceiling rose will not sit flat on a BESA box (it rocks). Klik
seem to need their surface backbox or perhaps a BESA box the other
side of the plasterboard.

You can get coloured cotton covered antique style cable if appropriate
on Ebay etc quite cheaply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 22, 2:48*pm, "js.b1" wrote:
Use a proper mechanical hook/chain/rope for the weight.
Use a Klik ceiling rose for the power.

Just dug a Lewden & Klik ceiling rose out of the shed.

Klik - Fabric or wickerwork lampshades
Many cord grips do not distribute the load evenly on the sheath, you
get plastic flow over time with the result that the copper becomes the
real strain relief until the fine flex strands fracture. Seen it many
times with erupted insulation and noisy arc developing. If the fitting
is subject to tall people, people stretching their arms or airflow in
particular it is vulnerable.

Lewden - Chain capability makes the difference
Subject to weight and suitable joist blocking for support.

The problem is many chandeliers weigh a fair bit and some people fit
them relatively low over tables.

The old method was a blocked joist, good chain or tube with rosejoint.
The old method was also clear vinyl insulated "bell wire" despite
class-1 fittings - cracked insulation waiting to bite the bulb
changer. The fitting also has to withstand bulb changing loads - a
swinging fitting with someone hanging on the end of it (at least those
that unplug reduce that risk!).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Andy Dingley writes

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...Menu_Index/Lig
hting_Accessories_2/index.html

The Klik is less than convincing as a mechanical connector, but it's
cheap (couple of quid from Direct Electrical).

The Lewden looks like a sensible dovetail wedge, but it's twelve quid
each.

Both claim 5kg load, which I understand is a regulatory limit on
flexible cord suspension. Klik then claim 10kg limit on the fitting
itself, or 15kg for the Lewden with a hook and chain. I find the Klik
hard to believe here - that's quite a weight for the tiny clips, and
how do you support any weight _except_ by the cord alone?

Any hands-on experience of either of them? Thanks.

OK - who's going to be the first to post a fools and horses link ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Gordon Henderson
writes
In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

Had to happen ...

;-)

We have a fancy one in the livingroom - it's held up by 2 independant
loops of 220lb nylon cord which we use to lower it from the room above...
(Suspened from hooks screwed into a large addition to the joist which
was used to support the old gas lighting - well, I'm suspecting that's
what it was for as there is some old piping nearby and a few scorch
marks surrounding it)

Gordon

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

OK - who's going to be the first to post a fools and horses link ?

Gordon. 6 hours ago.

The wonders of the internet!

Andy

Chandelier advice... elened Home Repair 10 September 30th 08 05:30 AM
Installing a chandelier angelasg Home Repair 12 December 19th 06 06:59 AM
Wiring a new Chandelier [email protected] Home Repair 5 April 8th 06 10:19 PM
Bathroom Chandelier...? Fuoleum UK diy 6 March 5th 06 06:58 PM
Chandelier Pandora UK diy 21 February 16th 05 09:40 AM