Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring a new Chandelier

I recently replaced a chadelier in my dining room. The previous
chandelier worked fine and was on a dimmer. Although the new one works,
it will not dim. The wiring is straight forward - two wires from the
ceiling, two wires from the chandelier - no problem.

Does anyone know why a chandelier would not work with a dimmer switch?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

If the dimmer switch turns the fixture on and off, but does not dim, the
dimmer is defective. Possibly you shorted it out in the process of removing
or installing the fixtures

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently replaced a chadelier in my dining room. The previous
chandelier worked fine and was on a dimmer. Although the new one works,
it will not dim. The wiring is straight forward - two wires from the
ceiling, two wires from the chandelier - no problem.

Does anyone know why a chandelier would not work with a dimmer switch?

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently replaced a chadelier in my dining room. The previous
chandelier worked fine and was on a dimmer. Although the new one works,
it will not dim. The wiring is straight forward - two wires from the
ceiling, two wires from the chandelier - no problem.

Does anyone know why a chandelier would not work with a dimmer switch?

For some reason the old dimmer may have gone bad. Try replacing it. Be
sure that you shut off the power when you do this. I'm assuming that the
on/off feature still works properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PERFECT!!!

I just happened to have an extra dimmer around. Swapped it out and it
works like a charm!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

RBM wrote:

If the dimmer switch turns the fixture on and off, but does not dim, the
dimmer is defective. Possibly you shorted it out in the process of removing
or installing the fixtures

wrote in message
ups.com...

I recently replaced a chadelier in my dining room. The previous
chandelier worked fine and was on a dimmer. Although the new one works,
it will not dim. The wiring is straight forward - two wires from the
ceiling, two wires from the chandelier - no problem.

Does anyone know why a chandelier would not work with a dimmer switch?

Hi,
If new one is bigger it may have over loaded the dimmer. They come is at
different Wattage rating.