Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Stripping emulsion paint or cladding

Having had the flat roof of my car port fixed, I now need to do
something with the ceiling under it. This is painted with emulsion
over plaster and the (former) leaks caused this to bubble and flake.
Unfortunately, it only did half a job, so it's a spatter of flakey
bubbly patches and good stuff. Clearly the flakey bits can be scraped
off but the 'good' bits are stuck solid. If I just hack the loose off
and re-paint it will look like the surface of the moon.

So: Are there are good known ways of stripping emulsion paint (heat,
chemical, etc)?

Alternatively, I could clad it and solve things that way. My roofer
suggested covering the whole thing in hollow soffit boards. Not over
convinced this would work somehow, as that stuff seems to expand and
contract quite a bit, so it would be likely to end up as a series of
bulges. I've seen alternative systems for interior cladding (eg
Dumaplast) and I wonder if any of these would work in an outside but
sheltered location like this.

Any suggestions, chaps?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Nov, 23:05, GMM wrote:
[...]

I have, successfully, several times used thickly mixed wallpaper paste
as
a means of softening emulsion paint to a state where it was easy to
remove
by scraping. Just paint on thickly and allow to soak.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On 16 Nov, 22:52, Mr Fuxit wrote:
On 15 Nov, 23:05, GMM wrote:

[...]

That sounds worth a try though a little counter-intuitive - I'd have
expected wallpaper to stay up OK on an emulsioned wall, somehow...

Emulsion paint soup UK diy 5 September 29th 09 12:16 AM
Microporous Emulsion Paint Vortex UK diy 2 September 16th 07 10:37 PM
Emulsion paint on top of gloss? Mark UK diy 2 April 22nd 06 01:31 PM
Removing paint + cladding adhesive/mortar from brickwork David Hearn UK diy 4 October 20th 05 05:11 PM
Nitromors & emulsion paint Woody UK diy 2 September 26th 05 03:17 PM