DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stripping emulsion paint or cladding (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/291894-stripping-emulsion-paint-cladding.html)

GMM November 15th 09 11:05 PM

Stripping emulsion paint or cladding

Having had the flat roof of my car port fixed, I now need to do
something with the ceiling under it. This is painted with emulsion
over plaster and the (former) leaks caused this to bubble and flake.
Unfortunately, it only did half a job, so it's a spatter of flakey
bubbly patches and good stuff. Clearly the flakey bits can be scraped
off but the 'good' bits are stuck solid. If I just hack the loose off
and re-paint it will look like the surface of the moon.

So: Are there are good known ways of stripping emulsion paint (heat,
chemical, etc)?

Alternatively, I could clad it and solve things that way. My roofer
suggested covering the whole thing in hollow soffit boards. Not over
convinced this would work somehow, as that stuff seems to expand and
contract quite a bit, so it would be likely to end up as a series of
bulges. I've seen alternative systems for interior cladding (eg
Dumaplast) and I wonder if any of these would work in an outside but
sheltered location like this.

Any suggestions, chaps?

Mr Fuxit November 16th 09 10:52 PM

On 15 Nov, 23:05, GMM wrote:
[...]

I have, successfully, several times used thickly mixed wallpaper paste
as
a means of softening emulsion paint to a state where it was easy to
remove
by scraping. Just paint on thickly and allow to soak.

GMM November 18th 09 12:34 PM

On 16 Nov, 22:52, Mr Fuxit wrote:
On 15 Nov, 23:05, GMM wrote:

[...]

That sounds worth a try though a little counter-intuitive - I'd have
expected wallpaper to stay up OK on an emulsioned wall, somehow...