David Hearn

Default Removing paint + cladding adhesive/mortar from brickwork

I'm just doing a theoretical exercise really - but I'd like to know what
is possible.

Our 1930's semi has horrible cladding on the front of it. On the
sides/back it's rendered (well, whatever you call that lumpy bumpy rough
splatter render - it's certianly not painted pebbledash).

It seems that the original house (at least on the sides) had bare brick
a few feet off the ground and then some kind of render etc from there
up. It's since had this splatter render stuff applied from top to bottom.

I'd love to take off all the cladding and go back to how it was
originally - however I'd expect to have to get the front re-rendered -
however if I did that, I'd like to reinstate the bare brick section at
the bottom.

Considering that I'd probably need to get the sides done at some point
too - what is the chance of removing the render/paint/adhesive etc and
getting back to nice bare bricks? The area isn't that large really
(side and front about 3' high). The painted area is in the porchway,
cladding at the front, render stuff at the sides.

Any thoughts on that? Doubt we'll ever do it (no money!) but knowing
what is possible is helpful.

Thanks

Stuart Noble

David Hearn wrote:
[...]

Are we talking about the "Never paint your house again, we'll spray it
all in plastic" type of coating?
I did remove some from one wall, and it was remarkably easy because they
seemed to coat the wall first in something that ressembles wet sand, and
there was no real adhesion to the brickwork. In this particular case the
coating had demonstrably failed and whether other walls where it hadn't
would be that easy I can't say.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
David Hearn wrote:
[...]

Snag is that anything which was originally rendered is unlikely to have
decent (facing) bricks underneath.

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
David Hearn

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
David Hearn wrote:

[...]

Yup - no problem with that - we'd like to return it to how it originally
was (brick bottom 3', rendered top). But the bottom part is currently
painted in some places (porch), rendered (side) and cladded (front).
Having the bottom part as bare brick (which I believe it was originally
when compared to all the other houses in the street, and more
importantly the other half of the semi.

Hardinge Paint Purchase (long) [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 21st 05 07:28 PM
Replacement flue guard and removing rust from brickwork Nigel Walker UK diy 1 April 11th 05 12:55 PM
Removing paint from bricks Jim UK diy 3 March 1st 05 10:02 AM
Removing paint from a bathroom fan cover [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 10th 05 05:10 PM
removing flaky old paint prior to plastering ANt UK diy 9 January 9th 04 11:34 AM