Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Digi-Key

Have Digi-Key got a UK warehouse? They seem to have a UK site - but it
isn't clear where the goods come from as they ask for import/export
details when buying from them.
I ordered up some hall effect sensors from them on Monday - couldn't find
the equivalent here - and they arrived this morning. Could they have come
from the US that quick?

--
*What are the pink bits in my tyres? Cyclists & Joggers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:28:56 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Have Digi-Key got a UK warehouse? They seem to have a UK site - but it
isn't clear where the goods come from as they ask for import/export
details when buying from them.
I ordered up some hall effect sensors from them on Monday - couldn't
find
the equivalent here - and they arrived this morning. Could they have
come from the US that quick?

Yes, they come from the U.S. They have a web presence in the UK, but
that's all AFAIK.

They are quick. The stuff seems to leave the town in Minnesota and go to
a local hub, then Minneapolis, then Kentucky (overnight), then
Philadelphia, then E Midlands airport, arriving midnight the day after
order. That gives time to get it to your local depot to go out next
morning.

I've always seen that time pattern; order on working day N, get it on
working day N+2, usually before midday or so.

You usually have to pay VAT on delivery, but no handling charge for UPS.
Mouser are another good firm, but there seems to be an extra fee on
delivery (both used UPS with me).

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
I ordered up some hall effect sensors from them on Monday - couldn't
find
the equivalent here - and they arrived this morning. Could they have
come from the US that quick?

Yes, they come from the U.S. They have a web presence in the UK, but
that's all AFAIK.

That's what I'd sort of worked out by the import/export questions.

They are quick. The stuff seems to leave the town in Minnesota and go to
a local hub, then Minneapolis, then Kentucky (overnight), then
Philadelphia, then E Midlands airport, arriving midnight the day after
order. That gives time to get it to your local depot to go out next
morning.

I've always seen that time pattern; order on working day N, get it on
working day N+2, usually before midday or so.

Amazing. Only one day longer than ordering from the best in the UK - and
better than many. Maplin haven't managed next day delivery at standard
prices for ages.

You usually have to pay VAT on delivery, but no handling charge for UPS.
Mouser are another good firm, but there seems to be an extra fee on
delivery (both used UPS with me).

I only paid 10 quid over the actual site prices. So no worse than many UK
firms for a small order - it was only 12 quids worth of parts.
No VAT - perhaps they don't bother under a certain figure?

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:13:42 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've always seen that time pattern; order on working day N, get it on
working day N+2, usually before midday or so.

Amazing. Only one day longer than ordering from the best in the UK - and
better than many. Maplin haven't managed next day delivery at standard
prices for ages.

I know...and there is a *much* wider range, and the prices are good.

You usually have to pay VAT on delivery, but no handling charge for
UPS. Mouser are another good firm, but there seems to be an extra fee
on delivery (both used UPS with me).

I only paid 10 quid over the actual site prices. So no worse than many
UK firms for a small order - it was only 12 quids worth of parts. No VAT
- perhaps they don't bother under a certain figure?

Probably not. I usually spend 50 quid at a time - there are always
components I seem to need, and then the carriage is free!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

What did the Customs label say?

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:56:29 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:28:56 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Have Digi-Key got a UK warehouse? They seem to have a UK site - but it
isn't clear where the goods come from as they ask for import/export
details when buying from them.
I ordered up some hall effect sensors from them on Monday - couldn't
find
the equivalent here - and they arrived this morning. Could they have
come from the US that quick?

Yes, they come from the U.S. They have a web presence in the UK, but
that's all AFAIK.

That's my understanding, too.

They're actually based only a couple of hours from where I live (which
isn't much for US distances/timescales!) but annoyingly I can't pick stuff
up on a weekend (their offices are open then, but not the warehouse side),
which is when I'm most likely to want something quickly enough to decide
to drive rather than just leave it to the postal service.

You usually have to pay VAT on delivery, but no handling charge for UPS.
Mouser are another good firm, but there seems to be an extra fee on
delivery (both used UPS with me).

Yes, Mouser's the other 'big name' for components in the US - but I have
no idea what (if anything) they have by way of a UK presence though (my
catalogue seems to have gone walkabout... hmm)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:03:48 -0600, Jules wrote:

Yes, Mouser's the other 'big name' for components in the US - but I have
no idea what (if anything) they have by way of a UK presence though (my
catalogue seems to have gone walkabout... hmm)

They are at http://www.mouser.com, but that redirects to a site with UK
prices. There's a UK address and phone number, but it all gets shipped
from the US.