Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - TV adverts disrupt digi-box

Sorry if this is Off Topic but there is such a pool of knowledge here
that I'm sure someone will know the answer.

My mother's digi-box (Borders area are fully digital now) gets upset
when the adverts come on - it's fine with BBC 1 and 2 but seizes up on
the adverts on the other channels. I watched it yesterday and on the
first round of adverts it frame locked every so often and made a
clicking sound each time, but continued fine when the programme
material came back on. On the second round of adverts it locked and
didn't clear itself - would have done so seemingly if switched off and
on again. I changed it for another box and the TV was OK.

I've brought it home to play with but what is there different about
adverts on TV from normal transmission ?

Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

I've brought it home to play with but what is there different about
adverts on TV from normal transmission ?

Probably the adverts are transmitted in a different aspect ratio, and the
box is trying to shift - our TV does that, chucking up an on-screen
display to tell you, so it's quite noticable. Seems to be most prevalent
on C4.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 10:06:01 +0000, Adrian wrote:

robgraham gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

I've brought it home to play with but what is there different about
adverts on TV from normal transmission ?

Probably the adverts are transmitted in a different aspect ratio, and the
box is trying to shift - our TV does that, chucking up an on-screen
display to tell you, so it's quite noticable. Seems to be most prevalent
on C4.

Just to back that up a little, our (analogue) setup, hooked up to a cable
TV box, often barfs when the ads come on - the aspect ratio changes and
half the ad disappears off the right of the screen. Usually it doesn't
come back again until a half minute or so *after* normal programming has
resumed. Drives me nuts, it does...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
Sorry if this is Off Topic but there is such a pool of knowledge here
that I'm sure someone will know the answer.

My mother's digi-box (Borders area are fully digital now) gets upset
when the adverts come on - it's fine with BBC 1 and 2 but seizes up on
the adverts on the other channels. I watched it yesterday and on the
first round of adverts it frame locked every so often and made a
clicking sound each time, but continued fine when the programme
material came back on. On the second round of adverts it locked and
didn't clear itself - would have done so seemingly if switched off and
on again. I changed it for another box and the TV was OK.

I've brought it home to play with but what is there different about
adverts on TV from normal transmission ?

Bit rates, aspect ratio, sound levels are the obvious differences.

Thanks
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, robgraham writes

Sorry if this is Off Topic but there is such a pool of knowledge here
that I'm sure someone will know the answer.

Had you bothered to even look, there is a suitable group called
uk.tech.digital-tv which is active and has a bunch of knowledgeable
posters.

--
Fred Bloggs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules expressed precisely :
On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 10:06:01 +0000, Adrian wrote:

robgraham gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

I've brought it home to play with but what is there different about
adverts on TV from normal transmission ?

Probably the adverts are transmitted in a different aspect ratio, and the
box is trying to shift - our TV does that, chucking up an on-screen
display to tell you, so it's quite noticable. Seems to be most prevalent
on C4.

Just to back that up a little, our (analogue) setup, hooked up to a cable
TV box, often barfs when the ads come on - the aspect ratio changes and
half the ad disappears off the right of the screen. Usually it doesn't
come back again until a half minute or so *after* normal programming has
resumed. Drives me nuts, it does...

That is odd....

We had a weird problem with the sound going off on ITV3 only and only
during the ads. The really weird part was that certain ads for some
products were not affected by the silence. Only one actual program was
affected and that wasn't completely silent, we could hear all of the
background sound, but none of the left or right.

Getting the box to rescan the channels fixed it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
I've brought it home to play with but what is there different about
adverts on TV from normal transmission ?

Bit rates, aspect ratio, sound levels are the obvious differences.

It's a myth that ad levels are higher than all progs. They may be higher
than some - but on ITV their *peak* level is actually lower than progs can
be. Of course they may subjectively sound louder but that's not going to
effect an STB.

--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.