Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Worst pipes layout?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...7&postcount=19

description
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...7&postcount=15

Quite ... er innovative way of putting pipes in.
--
http://www.Christmasfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mogga wrote:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...7&postcount=19

description
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...7&postcount=15

Quite ... er innovative way of putting pipes in.

Nah, just the mere beginnings of underfloor heating. All the posh houses
have that.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:35:31 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

mogga wrote:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...7&postcount=19

description
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...7&postcount=15

Quite ... er innovative way of putting pipes in.

Nah, just the mere beginnings of underfloor heating. All the posh houses
have that.

I thought it was a work of art!

Obviously the house was not lived in by a woman who likes stiletto
heels. )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

mogga wrote:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...7&postcount=19

description
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...7&postcount=15

Quite ... er innovative way of putting pipes in.

Nah, just the mere beginnings of underfloor heating. All the posh houses
have that.

I thought it was a work of art!

Obviously the house was not lived in by a woman who likes stiletto
heels. )

Or by a bloke that like his women to wear stilletos.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Nov, 19:40, wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:35:31 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

mogga wrote:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...50257&postcoun...

description
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...44097&postcoun...

Quite ... er innovative way of putting pipes in.

Nah, just the mere beginnings of underfloor heating. All the posh houses
have that.

I thought it was a work of art!

Obviously the house was not lived in by a woman who likes stiletto
heels. )

well there was a ref to hidden leaks......
JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:19:41 +0000, mogga wrote:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...7&postcount=19

Oooh, me! me! me! :-)

Here's the nice, neat, graceful lines of the stuff in our basement:

http://www.patooie.com/temp/plumbing.jpg

The pipe running to the foreground on the left side of the picture runs
through the wall from the well pump and is the main cold feed - it loops
through about 50' of copper and a couple of baseboard radiators before
returning (on the right side of the picture) to run through the wall
and supply the water heater.

They did it that way because there used to be a wood-burning furnace below
that spot (you can see the capped feed which runs through the wall to the
chimney) and so the idea was that furnace would pre-heat the feed to the
water heater, and the rads, at least so long as there was a tap running
somewhere :-) (How well it ever worked, I don't know - the furnace was
totally home-made and had a split all down one side, so it was all torn
out.)

US houses with big basements often seem to be cursed with stuff like that
- out of sight, out of mind I suppose, and the space to just run anything
anywhere with little in the way of actual planning.

It's a real interesting mix of copper and galvanised pipe on the
potable side too, and plastic / iron on the waste side (the translucent
coiled pipe that you might be able to make out is the consendate drain
from the pump on the gas furnace).

One day I'll re-do the lot, although a shorter-term project is to ditch
that crazy 50' loop and tap the feed for the water heater from a more
sensible spot closer to the well pump...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, Jules
writes

US houses with big basements often seem to be cursed with stuff like that
- out of sight, out of mind I suppose, and the space to just run anything
anywhere with little in the way of actual planning.

I thought all US houses filled their huge basements with either a home
cinema or giant Lionel train set :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message . com, Jules
writes

US houses with big basements often seem to be cursed with stuff like that
- out of sight, out of mind I suppose, and the space to just run anything
anywhere with little in the way of actual planning.

I thought all US houses filled their huge basements with either a home
cinema or giant Lionel train set :-)
--
Graeme

I would love a basement.

Boiler - Laundry - hobbies......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:
[...]

Now that is plumbing!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 22:16:25 +0000, Clot wrote:
Now that is plumbing!

It's certainly something

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 22:14:20 +0000, John wrote:

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message . com, Jules
writes

US houses with big basements often seem to be cursed with stuff like that
- out of sight, out of mind I suppose, and the space to just run anything
anywhere with little in the way of actual planning.

I thought all US houses filled their huge basements with either a home
cinema or giant Lionel train set :-)
--
Graeme

I would love a basement.

Boiler - Laundry - hobbies......

Yeah - when I lived in the UK I always wanted a place with a basement.
About 90% of the house 'footprint' is usable space, split into three rooms
(and a further large crawl-space which I suppose could be dug out).

re. trains, not really my thing, although the vintage computer collection
will end up down there... :-)

I need to dig a sump and then get the washing machine down there sometime.
And tidy up that bloody plumbing...

Then it's a case of putting insulated walls and floors in (can't decide
whether to mess around with some under-floor heating or not) and it'll all
be quite habitable.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

mogga wrote:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...7&postcount=19

description
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...7&postcount=15

Quite ... er innovative way of putting pipes in.

Nah, just the mere beginnings of underfloor heating. All the posh houses
have that.

I thought it was a work of art!

Obviously the house was not lived in by a woman who likes stiletto
heels. )

Or by a bloke that like his women to wear stilletos.

If you saw the state of my lovingly laid reclaimed pitch-pine dining
room floorboards, you'd understand why I'm not of them... :-(

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 11, 1:19*pm, Lobster wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

.. .
wrote:

mogga wrote:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...50257&postcoun...

description
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...44097&postcoun...

Quite ... er innovative way of putting pipes in.

Nah, just the mere beginnings of underfloor heating. All the posh houses
have that.

I thought it was a work of art!

Obviously the house was not lived in by a woman who likes stiletto
heels. *)

Or by a bloke that like his women to wear stilletos.

If you saw the state of my lovingly laid reclaimed pitch-pine dining
room floorboards, you'd understand why I'm not of them... :-(

David- Hide quoted text -

Suggestion: Our opinion is that the laundry equipment, if at all
possible, should be as close to the bedrooms (and bathroom) as
possible! After all that's where the clothes/bed-clothes to be washed
come from and have to be hauled back to and sorted out! We know of a
family that has that arrangement; another who a clothes chute to their
basement laundry area.

Admittedly our laundry is and always has been in our large unfinished
and cluttered, almost fully in the ground, Canadian basement (Approx.
47 by 32 foot internal dimensions with various supporting walls etc.).
And it's certainly quite a long haul from the furthest of the main
floor's four bedrooms to the stairs, down the stairs, to the laundry,
which is located under bedroom #3; then back all the way after washing
and drying.

Also when it is possible in this eastern Cnadain climate to dry stuff
(towels/Blankets etc.) on the two clothes lines outside, damp and
heavy it has to be hauled up those stairs and out through the family
room onto the deck, where some can be hung; then the rest round the
corner to a longer line which is supported by a bi-pod tied back to a
tree.

Reason for bi-pod is; it's simple/easy to adjust line tension and it
can quickly be laid flat on ground allowing pickup truck to be backed
in to that area to allow anything destined for or from (through a six
foot wide by two foot high window) basement to be unloaded/loaded.
It's quite interesting wangling, say, a lawn mower down through that
window, repairing and the getting it back up again!

We do have an unused (dead) space between bedrooms #1 and 2 because
this 40+ year old house design; from British Columbia, allowed for a
chimney for an oil fired furnace.

We built this all-electric. A decision that has worked out well,
maintenance since 1970 virtually nil and since 90% plus of electricity
here is hydro generated more ecologically favourable. Also no messing
around with gas lines, oil tanks, furnaces/burners or chimneys. That
space should be turned into more closet space or it might be possible
to fit an 'over-under' laundry pair; opposite the bathroom door and
have then concealed by a set of those louvred bi-fold doors to match
the main closets doors in the hallway. At that they couldn't be much
closer to where the unwashed clothes come from!

BTW the unfinished basement allows repairs rearrangements and changes
to be done easily and with careful measuring to come up into wood stud
walls etc. as required.

Cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:10:11 -0800, terry wrote:
We know of a
family that has that arrangement; another who a clothes chute to their
basement laundry area.

I'd thought the other day that a laundry chute would be a good idea once
I get the washing machine to join the drier in the basement - but then it
occurred to me that I'd still have to haul clean clothes back *up*...

Maybe I should DIY a 'clean clothes elevator' :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Canada? What price are the CO2 heat pumps going for re 9kW & 14kW
Sanyo-Daikin etc?

They are still £3-4k in the UK re economy of scale and the more
expensive 2-stage DC-compressors, although that will change once
volume ramps. CO2 works well at low temperatures with CoP of 1.0 only
coming up at -25oC and at a more typical -10oC "floor" they give very
good efficiency (CoP of 2.6-3.0 is 3-4p per kW). The unknown is
lifecycle although 10yrs is more likely with far lower future
replacement cost - unlike increasingly junk discount gas boiler
offerings, maintenance & depreciation.

Still no change to UK regs re Permitted Development putting ASHP under
PP re noise standards, so moot for now.