Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which wall plug

Need to hand a mirror on an external wall (plasterboard dot n dabbed onto
blockwork). Mirror is fairly heavy, approx 17 kgs.
What type of wall plug would you recommend to hang the mirror.

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 9, 12:33*pm, "slider" wrote:
Need to hand a mirror on an external wall (plasterboard dot n dabbed onto
blockwork). *Mirror is fairly heavy, approx 17 kgs.
What type of wall plug would you recommend to hang the mirror.

TIA

Screw into the blocks behind the PB, so long screws and standard
plastic wallplugs. I try to avoid hanging things on PB, as it just
isnt very strong.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Nov 9, 12:33 pm, "slider" wrote:
Need to hand a mirror on an external wall (plasterboard dot n dabbed
onto blockwork). Mirror is fairly heavy, approx 17 kgs.
What type of wall plug would you recommend to hang the mirror.

TIA

Screw into the blocks behind the PB, so long screws and standard
plastic wallplugs. I try to avoid hanging things on PB, as it just
isnt very strong.

As above, but with Rawlplug 'Uno' plugs (brown). Brilliant things.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Nov, 13:59, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

As above, but with Rawlplug 'Uno' plugs (brown). *Brilliant things.

Agreed, those are really good. Don't spin in the holes when being
installed, expansion from the tip first, just where you need it.

Only risk I've had with these is that they're very soft polyethylene
(?) and there's some risk of pulling the screw from the plug. If
you're really loading the big ones I still prefer the pale grey
Fischer nylon plugs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As above, but with Rawlplug 'Uno' plugs (brown). Brilliant things.

Agreed, those are really good. Don't spin in the holes when being
installed, expansion from the tip first, just where you need it.

Only risk I've had with these is that they're very soft polyethylene
(?) and there's some risk of pulling the screw from the plug. If
you're really loading the big ones I still prefer the pale grey
Fischer nylon plugs.

That might be something to do with the type of screw. I use SF Quicksilver,
but Ive noticed that SF Turbo Gold don't grip well in plugs - prolly cos the
cut into them too much.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fischer SX are very forgiving - 4 way expansion to grip.

SX6 cover just about everything, SX8 & SX10 for 8 & 10mm respectively.
SX seem to go "very flush" in most materials without difficulty and
hold the "opening" better than UX.

Bizarrely Screwfix does not do SX, just polythene which in some bricks
just pull out - perhaps that is the idea :-)

A reminder: when drilling a wall, do not clear the hole out with a
drill bit in your fingers (cables).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Nov, 18:42, "js.b1" wrote:
Fischer SX are very forgiving - 4 way expansion to grip.

SX6 cover just about everything, SX8 & SX10 for 8 & 10mm respectively.
SX seem to go "very flush" in most materials without difficulty and
hold the "opening" better than UX.

Bizarrely Screwfix does not do SX, just polythene which in some bricks
just pull out - perhaps that is the idea :-)

I use the Fischer grey plugs from SF for everything and have yet to
have one rotate or pull out in any material. Probably helps that I
always drill on the tight side, sometimes need a good whack with the
hammer to get them in flush. I'll look out for the SX when I need some
more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pcb1962 wrote:
On 9 Nov, 18:42, "js.b1" wrote:
Fischer SX are very forgiving - 4 way expansion to grip.

SX6 cover just about everything, SX8 & SX10 for 8 & 10mm
respectively. SX seem to go "very flush" in most materials without
difficulty and hold the "opening" better than UX.

Bizarrely Screwfix does not do SX, just polythene which in some
bricks just pull out - perhaps that is the idea :-)

I use the Fischer grey plugs from SF for everything and have yet to
have one rotate or pull out in any material. Probably helps that I
always drill on the tight side, sometimes need a good whack with the
hammer to get them in flush. I'll look out for the SX when I need some
more.

Uno plugs work in everything, block, brick, plasterboard etc. Do the SX &
SF ones do that?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Nov, 19:31, "The Medway Handyman"

Uno plugs work in everything, block, brick, plasterboard etc. *Do the SX &
SF ones do that?

They'll grip, but I do find they're more prone than softer plugs to
bursting a block if it's made of crap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley
wibbled on Monday 09 November 2009 14:38

wrote:

As above, but with Rawlplug 'Uno' plugs (brown). *Brilliant things.

Agreed, those are really good. Don't spin in the holes when being
installed, expansion from the tip first, just where you need it.

Only risk I've had with these is that they're very soft polyethylene
(?) and there's some risk of pulling the screw from the plug. If
you're really loading the big ones I still prefer the pale grey
Fischer nylon plugs.

Agreed on both counts. The UNOs are quite nice general purpose plugs in a
good range of sizes.

For anything more demanding, it's pretty much guaranteed that Fischer have a
well developed solution.

These are very good IME for demanding high load fixings:

http://apps.fischer.de/poc/default.aspx?page=details&layertype=Z&sprache=en&k at=$MART-HK-$MKAT-HK-$MPG-G1-$MZG-F1-1&ekat=$EKAT-HK-EN

(Fischer SX)

I also find Fischer frame fixings are second to none too.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

js.b1
wibbled on Monday 09 November 2009 18:42

Fischer SX are very forgiving - 4 way expansion to grip.

SX6 cover just about everything, SX8 & SX10 for 8 & 10mm respectively.
SX seem to go "very flush" in most materials without difficulty and
hold the "opening" better than UX.

Agreed - I noticed that too - that they go nice and flush.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman
wibbled on Monday 09 November 2009 19:31

Uno plugs work in everything, block, brick, plasterboard etc. Do the SX &
SF ones do that?

You want the UX plugs for that:

http://apps.fischer.de/poc/default.aspx?page=details&layertype=Z&sprache=en&k at=$MART-HK-$MKAT-HK-$MPG-G1-$MZG-F451-2&ekat=$EKAT-HK-EN

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim W
writes
The Medway Handyman
wibbled on Monday 09 November 2009 19:31

Uno plugs work in everything, block, brick, plasterboard etc. Do the SX &
SF ones do that?

You want the UX plugs for that:

http://apps.fischer.de/poc/default.a...prache=en&k a
t=$MART-HK-$MKAT-HK-$MPG-G1-$MZG-F451-2&ekat=$EKAT-HK-EN

I like UNOs for plasterboard, I think the fact that they spread right
from the surface gives them an extra gripping point as long as you get
the hole just right.

I've got a lot of thick old plaster over brick on my walls so prefer a
long plug like the Fischers to reach through and fix to the brick rather
than ash filled plaster. UNOs are a bit short for that kind of job.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

As above, but with Rawlplug 'Uno' plugs (brown). Brilliant things.

Agreed, those are really good. Don't spin in the holes when being
installed, expansion from the tip first, just where you need it.

Only risk I've had with these is that they're very soft polyethylene
(?) and there's some risk of pulling the screw from the plug. If
you're really loading the big ones I still prefer the pale grey
Fischer nylon plugs.

That might be something to do with the type of screw. I use SF
Quicksilver, but Ive noticed that SF Turbo Gold don't grip well in plugs -
prolly cos the cut into them too much.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I'm with Dave on this - Use the old fashioned screws as the root diameter is
more tapered than the modern screws. You want the 'wedging' action from a
screw and not a thread cutting action from a modern, more parallel screw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
pcb1962 wrote:
On 9 Nov, 18:42, "js.b1" wrote:
Fischer SX are very forgiving - 4 way expansion to grip.

SX6 cover just about everything, SX8 & SX10 for 8 & 10mm
respectively. SX seem to go "very flush" in most materials without
difficulty and hold the "opening" better than UX.

Bizarrely Screwfix does not do SX, just polythene which in some
bricks just pull out - perhaps that is the idea :-)

I use the Fischer grey plugs from SF for everything and have yet to
have one rotate or pull out in any material. Probably helps that I
always drill on the tight side, sometimes need a good whack with the
hammer to get them in flush. I'll look out for the SX when I need some
more.

Uno plugs work in everything, block, brick, plasterboard etc. *Do the SX &
SF ones do that?

I tend to use these in plasterboard where there's going to be any
load: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17481
They're rock solid so long as you never need to remove the shelf or
whatever, because if you attempt to undo a screw that's been done up
tight the plug will unscrew instead. I usually smother them in pva
before screwing them in, which seems to help a bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 21:00:08 +0000, Tim W had this to
say:

The Medway Handyman
wibbled on Monday 09 November 2009 19:31

Uno plugs work in everything, block, brick, plasterboard etc. Do the SX &
SF ones do that?

You want the UX plugs for that:

What's the matter with matchsticks? All this stuff about Uno, SX, SF
and UX - ain't it all just sales blurb?

Whatever happened to personal ingenuity regarding fixing methods? This
_is_ supposed to be a d-i-y newsgroup innit.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:48:47 -0800 (PST), pcb1962 wrote:

I tend to use these in plasterboard where there's going to be any
load: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17481

I much prefer this type for applications with load:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18266

At least you have just have neat clean hole in the board and the load
spread over a reasonable area on the back of it. Those screw in types
you just have the little bits of plaster in the thread itself holding
them in.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine
wibbled on Tuesday 10 November 2009 00:48

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 21:00:08 +0000, Tim W had this to
say:

The Medway Handyman
wibbled on Monday 09 November 2009 19:31

Uno plugs work in everything, block, brick, plasterboard etc. Do the SX
& SF ones do that?

You want the UX plugs for that:

What's the matter with matchsticks? All this stuff about Uno, SX, SF
and UX - ain't it all just sales blurb?

Whatever happened to personal ingenuity regarding fixing methods? This
_is_ supposed to be a d-i-y newsgroup innit.

Just saying...

Personally, I mine my own asbestos to make putty plugs

;-

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Nov, 00:48, Frank Erskine wrote:

What's the matter with matchsticks? *All this stuff about Uno, SX, SF
and UX - ain't it all just sales blurb?

No. Matchsticks have two problems: they're slow to fit and also
while they work fine in solid brick, they're poor in crumbly or
perforated materials. Even the good old asbestos Rawlputty (fine
stuff!) doesn't work on a cellular block with deliberate holes moulded
into it.

If you're a DIYer, you're mostly going to be plugging holes in the
same house, with only a couple of different wall constructions to
worry about. Find a plug that works and it'll probably work for
everything. If you work on different sites though, you'll see the
advantages of a dedicated plug (and that probably means Fischer) once
you encounter an office building with some bizarre construction made
of stacked Toblerone bars or something. Then you go anywhere
commercial (or housing association!) and fixings start having to be
metallic and fireproof. Read the Fischer pages, as pictures are
clearer that text.

I _mostly_ use cheap parallel polyethylene plugs with an anti-rotation
barb. These are copies of the original Fischer S plug from the '70s.
At present I'm using Tesco own-brand, because you can't beat 25p for
400! Low grade plastics or tapered plugs though are reasons to run
away.

Just what is the point in tapered wallplugs? Likewise trying to use
traditional tapered woodscrews in them? All your expansion, if any,
is going to be at the useless shallow end.

For Fischer plugs I mostly use the simple S, just because it's a
tougher plastic version of everyday cheap plugs. The SX are good in
funny moulded blocks with holes in. The UX replace the old squashy
rubber tubes for clamping to the back of things and are the closest
thing to a truly universal wallplug. The FUs I haven't used, as every
simple two-part expander I've used like that has been weak and risky
for tearing one leg off. Although Fischer's are probably better than
most, I still wouldn't trust that approach.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
SNIP

For Fischer plugs I mostly use the simple S, just because it's a
tougher plastic version of everyday cheap plugs. The SX are good in
funny moulded blocks with holes in. The UX replace the old squashy
rubber tubes for clamping to the back of things and are the closest
thing to a truly universal wallplug.

Have you tried the Rawlplug Uno? A universal plug, but a fraction of the
cost of Fischer.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Nov, 18:58, "The Medway Handyman"
Have you tried the Rawlplug Uno? *A universal plug, but a fraction of the
cost of Fischer.

Not for unconstrained squish onto the back of thin boards, no. Are
they any good at it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 10 Nov, 18:58, "The Medway Handyman"
Have you tried the Rawlplug Uno? A universal plug, but a fraction of
the cost of Fischer.

Not for unconstrained squish onto the back of thin boards, no. Are
they any good at it?

What a wonderful technical term 'unconstrained squish'! :-) Love it.

If you mean 9mm plasterboard, then yes very strong fixing indeed. Never
seen the back.

I tend to judge fixings by how well they pull the fixture to the wall. If
screwing battens to PB walls with Uno's the screw will start to pull into
the wood.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Andy Dingley wrote:
SNIP

For Fischer plugs I mostly use the simple S, just because it's a
tougher plastic version of everyday cheap plugs. The SX are good in
funny moulded blocks with holes in. The UX replace the old squashy
rubber tubes for clamping to the back of things and are the closest
thing to a truly universal wallplug.

Have you tried the Rawlplug Uno? A universal plug, but a fraction of the
cost of Fischer.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Dave, what are the different colours for? I see on SF website there are
Red, Brown, Blue and Yellow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

slider
wibbled on Wednesday 11 November 2009 09:59

Dave, what are the different colours for? I see on SF website there are
Red, Brown, Blue and Yellow.

Sizes. Does make picking the right one out of a random pile much easier.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

slider wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
Andy Dingley wrote:
SNIP

For Fischer plugs I mostly use the simple S, just because it's a
tougher plastic version of everyday cheap plugs. The SX are good in
funny moulded blocks with holes in. The UX replace the old squashy
rubber tubes for clamping to the back of things and are the closest
thing to a truly universal wallplug.

Have you tried the Rawlplug Uno? A universal plug, but a fraction
of the cost of Fischer.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Dave, what are the different colours for? I see on SF website there
are Red, Brown, Blue and Yellow.

Different sizes. Yellow 5mm, red 6mm, brown 7mm, blue don't know never used
them.

80% of the time I use the red ones. The yellows are handy when fixing those
annoying things that have two holes in close proximity. Browns for heavier
duty.

They do a selection box
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/32796/...ket-560-Pieces
which is quite often on offer in the depots at half price.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Need to plug crack in concrete basement wall - TODAY Steve Henderson Home Repair 9 January 21st 07 10:05 PM
Screwfix wall plug warning F UK diy 0 January 21st 07 10:02 PM
how do I plug this gap in the front wall of my house? ben doon UK diy 8 April 3rd 06 11:12 PM
Plug In To Wall Outlet GFCI Avail. ? Robert11 Home Repair 5 April 28th 05 01:40 AM
Converting wall scone to plug-in ? anita Home Repair 4 July 9th 04 03:16 PM