Posted to uk.d-i-y
ben doon

Default how do I plug this gap in the front wall of my house?

It comes from an old waste pipe from the bathroom, and is about 2" diameter.
I can slap mortar in but the mortar will presumably slide into the wall
cavity behind. Do I stuff something in first (a bit of brick)? All help
gratefully received.

these links can be opened in a picture viewer. They are 1.5Mb. I'm sorry I
don't
know any other way to get the pictures viewed.

wall 001.jpg is
http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...P01I2IKONLEITB

wall 002.jpg is
http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...10ASU3WLN7DA4B

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"ben doon" wrote:
It comes from an old waste pipe from the bathroom, and is about 2"
diameter.
I can slap mortar in but the mortar will presumably slide into the wall
cavity behind. Do I stuff something in first (a bit of brick)? All help
gratefully received.

these links can be opened in a picture viewer. They are 1.5Mb. I'm sorry I
don't
know any other way to get the pictures viewed.

wall 001.jpg is
http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...P01I2IKONLEITB

wall 002.jpg is
http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...10ASU3WLN7DA4B

Yes, a piece of brick with a close fit so it can't fall in to the cavity,
then fill with mortar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Alexander

"ben doon" wrote in message
It comes from an old waste pipe from the bathroom, and is about 2"
diameter.
I can slap mortar in but the mortar will presumably slide into the wall
cavity behind. Do I stuff something in first (a bit of brick)? All help
gratefully received.

Since it's in the front of the house I'd probably remove the rest of the
exterior brick and make good with a whole brick (one that you saved when the
house was built). Failing that you can hawk a removed fragment around
looking for a good enough match.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 19:01:30 +0100, ben doon wrote:

Do I stuff something in first (a bit of brick)?

Fill the back end of the hole with expanding foam. Then cut a piece of
matching brick and mortar it in.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav

ben doon wrote:
It comes from an old waste pipe from the bathroom, and is about 2" diameter.
I can slap mortar in but the mortar will presumably slide into the wall
cavity behind. Do I stuff something in first (a bit of brick)? All help
gratefully received.

these links can be opened in a picture viewer. They are 1.5Mb. I'm sorry I
don't
know any other way to get the pictures viewed.

wall 001.jpg is
http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...P01I2IKONLEITB

wall 002.jpg is
http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...10ASU3WLN7DA4B

if you dont make the mortar or gobbo too sloppy it will not go down the
cavity and you should be able to achieve a good finnish, it's only a
small hole and it aint worth removing the brick as this could reult in
damage to the surrounding bricks.

ps the s62 in that link, does it refer to your postcode as mine also
starts with s62, if it does then i will pop round and sort it for you

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

ben doon presented the following explanation :
It comes from an old waste pipe from the bathroom, and is about 2" diameter.
I can slap mortar in but the mortar will presumably slide into the wall
cavity behind. Do I stuff something in first (a bit of brick)? All help
gratefully received.

The best way is to obtain a matching brick, completely remove the
damaged one and cement the new one in its place.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , ben doon
writes
It comes from an old waste pipe from the bathroom, and is about 2" diameter.
I can slap mortar in but the mortar will presumably slide into the wall
cavity behind. Do I stuff something in first (a bit of brick)? All help
gratefully received.

these links can be opened in a picture viewer. They are 1.5Mb. I'm sorry I
don't
know any other way to get the pictures viewed.

wall 001.jpg is
http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...P01I2IKONLEITB

wall 002.jpg is
http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...10ASU3WLN7DA4B

Shove them up on flickr or somewhere

2" diameter ?

stick a bit of newspaper in then fill with mortar

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

ben doon wrote:
It comes from an old waste pipe from the bathroom, and is about 2" diameter.
I can slap mortar in but the mortar will presumably slide into the wall
cavity behind. Do I stuff something in first (a bit of brick)? All help
gratefully received.

Push a bit of stiff muck into it, your main issue is colour matching.
Add some ash or coal dust and scrape off or colour that white. You
don't need any strength, just something to block it is enough, take
care not to smear muck on the faces, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:08:14 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The best way is to obtain a matching brick, completely remove the
damaged one and cement the new one in its place.

It's upstairs. Nobody will notice a repair.

--
Nigel M