Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is best glazing medium for this little project.

The plan is to remove the leaded glazing bars & glass panes from a Crittall
(steel framed) internal door and replace with a single sheet of clear
material.
This small door, 55W x135H cm approx, leads from kitchen to utility room and
from there to garden. It is also the dogs pathway to garden.
Existing glazing is puttied.
The dogs scratching has damaged the lead glazing bars and the entire glazing
is becoming rickety. The door is in constant use and is becoming very flexy.
It dates back to 1919 although the utility room is an extension added about
35 years ago.
I'm sure that quite soon the glazed part of the door will fall to bits.

I could use safety glass but don't really want to because of the weight &
cost.
A preference would be some kind of plastic sheet.
Acrylic/polycarbonate/makrolon etc but I don't know what else might be
available.
The intention would be to set this sheet in a bead of silicone and also bolt
through to retain integrity of the frame.
The frame can easily accept something of 10mm in thickness and there is
sufficient room within the frame for bolts/nuts.
However, whatever material is used it will be bashed and scratched by dogs,
cats and the V occasional goat

Any thoughts please?

Many thanks and good wishes to all.

N.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nick
writes
[...]

Don't use plastic or acrylic - it will scuff and scratch in no time.
--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Nov, 19:59, "Nick" wrote:
The plan is to remove the leaded glazing bars & glass panes from a Crittall
(steel framed) internal door and replace with a single sheet of clear
material.
Acrylic/polycarbonate/makrolon etc but I don't know what else might be
available.

Even polycarbonate will scratch very easily. You might be better
strengthening the door by welding some steel angle on it to brace it.
Or put a sheet of perspex over the whole glazed part of the door, but
regard it as sacrificial.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 6 Nov, 19:59, "Nick" wrote:
The plan is to remove the leaded glazing bars & glass panes from a
Crittall
(steel framed) internal door and replace with a single sheet of clear
material.
Acrylic/polycarbonate/makrolon etc but I don't know what else might be
available.

Even polycarbonate will scratch very easily. You might be better
strengthening the door by welding some steel angle on it to brace it.
Or put a sheet of perspex over the whole glazed part of the door, but
regard it as sacrificial.

Owain

Thank you,
this is internal and highly visible so angle bracing would appear unsightly.
I do regard whatever I may use as sacrificial and have no problem with
replacing it every couple of years or so.
My problem is that I don't know what material to use for best longevity.

What do engineering machine manufacturers use for safety guards on the likes
of lathes, mills, drills etc.?
These are battered by swarf continuously and have some years life.
I would hope that battering by our animals should be no worse, and certainly
not as intense.

Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Nov, 23:41, "Nick" wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message

... On 6 Nov, 19:59, "Nick" *wrote:
[...]

Polycarbonate, its very strong in impact but scratches easier than
Acrylic which is more fragile but slightly more scratch resistant.

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 6, 7:59*pm, "Nick" wrote:
[...]

Sounds to me like you need puttied glass. Anything less will scratch
badly. The glass would contribute to overall stiffness.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Nov, 19:59, "Nick" wrote:
The plan is to remove the leaded glazing bars & glass panes from a Crittall
(steel framed) internal door and replace with a single sheet of clear
material.

Glass.

You could keep the leading too. It's common practice to set steel
reinforcement rods behind the lead.