Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default immersion heaters

my girlfried has just moved house she has got a large hot water tank
which contains two immersion heaters.
Can we link these to a timer or do we need seperate timers?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 01:33:21 -0700 (PDT), delboy wrote:

my girlfried has just moved house she has got a large hot water tank
which contains two immersion heaters.
Can we link these to a timer or do we need seperate timers?

Usually, one is to heat the top, to provide a limited amount of water for
economy reasons, whilst the second heats the whole tank.
Connecting them together, to a single timer, would obviously negate this option.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 8:52*am, Andy Cap wrote:
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 01:33:21 -0700 (PDT), delboy wrote:
my girlfried has just moved house she has got a large hot water tank
which contains two immersion heaters.
Can we link these to a timer or do we need seperate timers?

Usually, one is to heat the top, to provide a limited amount of water for
economy reasons, whilst the second heats the whole tank.
Connecting them together, to a single timer, would obviously negate this option.

Andy C

and may overload the circuit supplying them

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 01:58:16 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:

Usually, one is to heat the top, to provide a limited amount of water for
economy reasons, whilst the second heats the whole tank.
Connecting them together, to a single timer, would obviously negate this option.

Andy C

and may overload the circuit supplying them

NT

Good point. Should have made it myself. ;-)

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

On Nov 1, 8:52*am, Andy Cap wrote:
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 01:33:21 -0700 (PDT), delboy wrote:
my girlfried has just moved house she has got a large hot water tank
which contains two immersion heaters.
Can we link these to a timer or do we need seperate timers?

Usually, one is to heat the top, to provide a limited amount of water for
economy reasons, whilst the second heats the whole tank.
Connecting them together, to a single timer, would obviously negate this option.

and may overload the circuit supplying them

However, you can get timers specifically designed to cope with
this, and only use one element at a time, such as

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOELEC7.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...stmann/E7Q.htm

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Can we link these to a timer or do we need seperate timers?

You'll probably find the lower one is on the economy 7 circuit and is
already timeswitched. The top one is usually only used manually if you run
out of hot water.

Al.

heatbank immersion heaters jim UK diy 0 August 30th 09 08:54 AM
immersion heaters Stephen[_6_] UK diy 19 August 23rd 09 10:34 AM
Immersion heaters Keith Dunbar UK diy 3 June 13th 07 11:57 PM
Testing Immersion Heaters and Thermostat Stuart UK diy 5 October 14th 06 11:19 PM
Immersion heaters Mike UK diy 13 June 30th 05 08:17 PM