Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are different brands of MCB interchangeable?

I need to swap an unused 40A Wylex MCB in a Wylex consumer it for a
32A MCB for a new ring main.

I'd assumed that different brands of MCB were interchangeable until I
saw how many different brands at similar prices Toolstation stocked -
and that made me think there must be a market for specific makes.

Toolstation don't do Wylex though -- so will other brands do?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
I need to swap an unused 40A Wylex MCB in a Wylex consumer it for a
32A MCB for a new ring main.

I'd assumed that different brands of MCB were interchangeable until I
saw how many different brands at similar prices Toolstation stocked -
and that made me think there must be a market for specific makes.

Toolstation don't do Wylex though -- so will other brands do?

Thanks in advance.

Not many fit mechanically so best to stick with the matching brand.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mike writes:
I need to swap an unused 40A Wylex MCB in a Wylex consumer it for a
32A MCB for a new ring main.

I'd assumed that different brands of MCB were interchangeable until I
saw how many different brands at similar prices Toolstation stocked -
and that made me think there must be a market for specific makes.

Toolstation don't do Wylex though -- so will other brands do?

In general, they aren't. Even if they mechanically fit, you're
going to be running outside the design and test criteria.
MCB's have issues with heat and magnetic fields straying from
one to another. One manufacturer will ensure their own work
correctly when used as specified, but they aren't going to go
to the trouble of making theirs work with alien stray fields
leaking in from someone else's.

There are some which are well known to be interchangable, such
as MEM, BILL, Eaton, because they're really all the same company
and production line.

Note that individual manufacturers often have several ranges,
and they often aren't even interchangable.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike
wibbled on Thursday 29 October 2009 19:06

I need to swap an unused 40A Wylex MCB in a Wylex consumer it for a
32A MCB for a new ring main.

I'd assumed that different brands of MCB were interchangeable until I
saw how many different brands at similar prices Toolstation stocked -
and that made me think there must be a market for specific makes.

Toolstation don't do Wylex though -- so will other brands do?

Thanks in advance.

You would be well advised to use the correct part. Some form factors to vary
and technically, a Wylex assembly will not have been type tested with other
manufacturer's devices in.

Having said that, sometimes the same parent manufacturer makes stuff under
different names and those devices may be interchangeable.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Although incomplete, an early stab at an interchange chart is available
here. Note the chart is incomplete - just because there is no X in a box
does not mean that it won't fit!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...hangea bility

I have a Siemens Stratum CU for which it's now well nigh impossible to get
parts. Hager RCBO's fit this box and appear to work without any problems.
Perhaps it would be worth adding this to your list for the benefit of
anyone else unfortunate to have one of these rare CU's.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Although incomplete, an early stab at an interchange chart is available
here. Note the chart is incomplete - just because there is no X in a box
does not mean that it won't fit!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...hangea bility

I have a Siemens Stratum CU for which it's now well nigh impossible to get
parts. Hager RCBO's fit this box and appear to work without any problems.
Perhaps it would be worth adding this to your list for the benefit of
anyone else unfortunate to have one of these rare CU's.

Ta, added.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
I'd assumed that different brands of MCB were interchangeable until I
saw how many different brands at similar prices Toolstation stocked -
and that made me think there must be a market for specific makes.

Toolstation don't do Wylex though -- so will other brands do?

In general, they aren't. Even if they mechanically fit, you're
going to be running outside the design and test criteria.
MCB's have issues with heat and magnetic fields straying from
one to another. One manufacturer will ensure their own work
correctly when used as specified, but they aren't going to go
to the trouble of making theirs work with alien stray fields
leaking in from someone else's.

I would have thought the Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) regulations
required these devices to be compatible (not interfere) with each other.
Stray fields are certainly covered by the regulations, and should not
interfere with adjacent equipment.

I am no expert on these regs and whether individual MCB's can be
considered separate pieces of equipment is debatable.
As they are an individual item sold separately its quite probable they
should comply wherever fitted.

Explanatory note:
http://www.uk-legislation.hmso.gov.u...0063418_en.pdf
Regulations:
http://www.uk-legislation.hmso.gov.u...6/20063418.htm

Roger R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
o.uk...
John Rumm wrote:

Although incomplete, an early stab at an interchange chart is available
here. Note the chart is incomplete - just because there is no X in a box
does not mean that it won't fit!

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...hangea bility

I have a Siemens Stratum CU for which it's now well nigh impossible to get
parts. Hager RCBO's fit this box and appear to work without any problems.
Perhaps it would be worth adding this to your list for the benefit of
anyone else unfortunate to have one of these rare CU's.

--
Mike Clarke

You star Mike.

I was working on a Siemens Stratum today and I was going to spend tonight
looking for a second hand Siemens RCBO on the internet.

Incidentally the Siemens Stratum is identical to one of the old MK CUs (for
which you also struggle to get parts).

Thanks

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message
I need to swap an unused 40A Wylex MCB in a Wylex consumer it for a
32A MCB for a new ring main.

I'd assumed that different brands of MCB were interchangeable until I
saw how many different brands at similar prices Toolstation stocked -
and that made me think there must be a market for specific makes.

Toolstation don't do Wylex though -- so will other brands do?

Thanks in advance.

B&Q sell Wylex MCBs but you will be about £5 better off by calling into your
nearest electrical wholesalers to buy one.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like an area where a bit of
standardisation would actually be useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

I was working on a Siemens Stratum today and I was going to spend tonight
looking for a second hand Siemens RCBO on the internet.

Glad to know the info was useful.

In my case the need to add extra RCBO's was because of a major kitchen
refit. In view of the part P implications I had the wiring done by an
appropriately registered sparkie. He was working on a new CU installation
nearby before starting our job so called round with a handful of different
breakers to try for size in a spare slot. I don't remember what the other
ones were but the Hager one fit OK. I'd assume Hager MCB's should fit too.

The main switch was also in a bad state with part of the casing broken off.
It had been like that since we moved in but was functional and (reasonably)
safe bur scary looking so we had that replaced as well. When he was
initially checking things for size he had a Hager and a Wylex one with him,
they both looked like they would be possibles when slotted onto a couple of
adjacent spare ways to check for size. When he came to do the job it was a
Wylex main switch that was in the van so that's what we now have. I'd
expect Wylex MCB's to have a similar profile to this so they would probably
also be compatible with this CU but I'm not sure about their RCBO's - I
can't remember if he tried one for size on the first visit.

Incidentally the Siemens Stratum is identical to one of the old MK CUs
(for which you also struggle to get parts).

Perhaps the Wiki needs updating to highlight the incompatibility between the
two different flavours of MK?

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

Perhaps I ought to try to remember to write down which MCBs I have seen in
different CUs when at work and then I could contribte to that wiki
article:-)

Adam