Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi Powercraft recip. saw broken

Hello,

I bought an Aldi/Powercraft recip saw a couple of months ago. It's
only had light use. This morning I pressed the button and nothing
happened. I pressed it a second time and the saw came to life. Later
on, the same thing happened again. I noticed a bright blue light
coming from inside the saw whilst I was sawing. I'm sure there were a
set of replacement brushes in the box. Is it likely these need
changing so soon? When I've used my spare pair, can I get replacements
or do I need to go back and buy a new drill?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen
wibbled on Thursday 29 October 2009 14:49

Hello,

I bought an Aldi/Powercraft recip saw a couple of months ago. It's
only had light use. This morning I pressed the button and nothing
happened. I pressed it a second time and the saw came to life. Later
on, the same thing happened again. I noticed a bright blue light
coming from inside the saw whilst I was sawing. I'm sure there were a
set of replacement brushes in the box. Is it likely these need
changing so soon? When I've used my spare pair, can I get replacements
or do I need to go back and buy a new drill?

Thanks,
Stephen.

That should be covered under a statutory guarantee (which is 6 months IIRC
and cannot be wormed out of for new goods) with the retailer. Take it back
to ALDI.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
[...]

Don't you mean the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended?

As a for "cannot be wormed out of for new goods" - Aldi are perfectly within
their rights to have the saw examined before they make a decision on whether
to repair, replace, refund or do nothing. Also, if there is an inherent
manufacturing fault, and a refund is offered, they can give a pro-rata
refund to take into account of the use of the saw since purchase - see
http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/cons...page38311.html

BTW, the 6 months period is where it is presumed that there is an inherent
fault, which Aldi has to prove or disprove, rather than the buyer - but
there is no right to an automatic refund or replacement.

But saying all that Aldi will simply tell the OP to ring the number on the
guarantee and arrange a repair - which the OP is perfectly entitled to say
f**k off to, and tell them to sort it out (and the store manager will
generally argue like hell at this) as the OP's contract is with Aldi and not
the manufacturer.

And that's why I will not buy any thing that costs more than around £20 from
them.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On 29 Oct, 14:49, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I bought an Aldi/Powercraft recip saw a couple of months ago. It's
only had light use. This morning I pressed the button and nothing
happened. I pressed it a second time and the saw came to life. Later
on, the same thing happened again. I noticed a bright blue light
coming from inside the saw whilst I was sawing. I'm sure there were a
set of replacement brushes in the box. Is it likely these need
changing so soon? When I've used my spare pair, can I get replacements
or do I need to go back and buy a new drill?

Thanks,
Stephen.

My first SDS drill was just as bad (some crap make cheap from Focus).
I'd only used it a handful of times when the brushes went. Replacing
them with the spares supplied was simple enough but I could track down
another set anywhere and the ones I did see (wrong size) seemed
unbelievably expensive for what they are. Still, it was enough to
persuade me to get a decent one, and my brother got a free SDS with a
very limited life expectancy....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Cash"
saying something like:

But saying all that Aldi will simply tell the OP to ring the number on the
guarantee and arrange a repair - which the OP is perfectly entitled to say
f**k off to, and tell them to sort it out (and the store manager will
generally argue like hell at this) as the OP's contract is with Aldi and not
the manufacturer.

And that's why I will not buy any thing that costs more than around £20 from
them.

Aldi and Lidl just usually give a straight refund on items that break
within a few months. No hassle.
Others' experiences may differ, but it's been the case for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 2:49*pm, Stephen wrote:
When I've used my spare pair, can I get replacements
or do I need to go back and buy a new drill?

There are contact details for the service agents in the manual but, if
you've lost it, you should be able to find them he

http://www.aldiwarranty.co.uk/index.asp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Cash"
saying something like:

But saying all that Aldi will simply tell the OP to ring the number
on the guarantee and arrange a repair - which the OP is perfectly
entitled to say f**k off to, and tell them to sort it out (and the
store manager will generally argue like hell at this) as the OP's
contract is with Aldi and not the manufacturer.

And that's why I will not buy any thing that costs more than around
£20 from them.

Aldi and Lidl just usually give a straight refund on items that break
within a few months. No hassle.
Others' experiences may differ, but it's been the case for me.

Never bought anything dear enough that's worth returning to be honest, but I
have been in a couple of local Aldi's when people have had problems with
their stuff (outside the Aldi 28 day no quibble replacement), and the only
thing that they were told was to contact the telephone number on the leaflet
that they hand out - and it's amazing that not one ever queried this or
mentioned SoGA to the manager.

Cash

reciprocating saw (Aldi/Powercraft) Stephen[_6_] UK diy 2 October 6th 09 09:24 PM
Aldi/Powercraft The Medway Handyman UK diy 5 September 25th 09 05:21 PM
Powercraft Table Saw Arthur2 UK diy 6 July 19th 08 02:16 PM
NEW Router bits, jigsaw and recip blades, Dremel Acc. - private party [email protected] Metalworking 3 April 22nd 05 04:41 AM
NEW Router bits, jigsaw and recip blades, Dremel Acc. - private party [email protected] Home Ownership 0 April 21st 05 06:04 PM