Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cash Cash is offline

Default Aldi Powercraft recip. saw broken

Tim W wrote:
Stephen
wibbled on Thursday 29 October 2009 14:49

Hello,

I bought an Aldi/Powercraft recip saw a couple of months ago. It's
only had light use. This morning I pressed the button and nothing
happened. I pressed it a second time and the saw came to life. Later
on, the same thing happened again. I noticed a bright blue light
coming from inside the saw whilst I was sawing. I'm sure there were a
set of replacement brushes in the box. Is it likely these need
changing so soon? When I've used my spare pair, can I get
replacements or do I need to go back and buy a new drill?

Thanks,
Stephen.

That should be covered under a statutory guarantee (which is 6 months
IIRC and cannot be wormed out of for new goods) with the retailer.
Take it back to ALDI.

Tim W

Don't you mean the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended?

As a for "cannot be wormed out of for new goods" - Aldi are perfectly within
their rights to have the saw examined before they make a decision on whether
to repair, replace, refund or do nothing. Also, if there is an inherent
manufacturing fault, and a refund is offered, they can give a pro-rata
refund to take into account of the use of the saw since purchase - see
http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/cons...page38311.html

BTW, the 6 months period is where it is presumed that there is an inherent
fault, which Aldi has to prove or disprove, rather than the buyer - but
there is no right to an automatic refund or replacement.

But saying all that Aldi will simply tell the OP to ring the number on the
guarantee and arrange a repair - which the OP is perfectly entitled to say
f**k off to, and tell them to sort it out (and the store manager will
generally argue like hell at this) as the OP's contract is with Aldi and not
the manufacturer.

And that's why I will not buy any thing that costs more than around £20 from
them.

Cash