Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default reciprocating saw (Aldi/Powercraft)

Hello,

I asked about reciprocating saws a couple of months ago. I think the
Medway Handyman recommended either the Aldi or Titan models as budget
models. As it happens, I found the "Aldi" one in Machine mart. It is
only in their stores; not in their catalogue nor on their web site and
I think they only have a limited number so it might be worth phoning
the store to check before you go. It was £28. I thought I would buy
one and give it a try.

TMH suggested getting a saw with an allen key, so that the blade did
not become loose. This one does not have an allen key; it has
something that resembles the chuck on a drill: you twist and hold the
"chuck" whilst inserting the blade and then release the "chuck" and
the blade is held securely.

I have used it with the sabre blade from Toolstation to cut the tongue
from some floorboards I was lifting. I have also used it to prune a
few trees in the garden.

From my limited experience so far I am very pleased with it. My only
concern is that when you release the button the blade does not stop
immediately but continues to oscillate for a few seconds, so you have
to be careful of the blade until it stops completely. Are all saws
like that or just the cheap ones?

Thanks to TMH and others who encouraged me to buy one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

From my limited experience so far I am very pleased with it. My only
concern is that when you release the button the blade does not stop
immediately but continues to oscillate for a few seconds, so you have
to be careful of the blade until it stops completely. Are all saws
like that or just the cheap ones?

Thanks to TMH and others who encouraged me to buy one.

Pretty much like many drills, after releasing the triggers there
is still residual energy to keep it spinning for a short time.

--
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
realise you're wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen formulated on Tuesday :
I asked about reciprocating saws a couple of months ago. I think the
Medway Handyman recommended either the Aldi or Titan models as budget
models. As it happens, I found the "Aldi" one in Machine mart. It is
only in their stores; not in their catalogue nor on their web site and
I think they only have a limited number so it might be worth phoning
the store to check before you go. It was £28. I thought I would buy
one and give it a try.

I bought from Aldi about 8 months ago, think I paid around £20 for it
after they had reduced it. It has had a reasonable amount of use since
then and I can't fault it. The chuck is as you describe and I've had no
bother with blades coming loose, ever.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Powercraft/Wolf 720 watt generator fault curls UK diy 28 December 30th 18 05:14 PM
Aldi/Powercraft The Medway Handyman UK diy 5 September 25th 09 05:21 PM
Powercraft Table Saw Arthur2 UK diy 6 July 19th 08 02:16 PM
Powercraft/Wolf 720 watt generator fault Pete C UK diy 0 June 25th 08 05:44 PM
Reciprocating Saw davex1001 Home Repair 18 June 14th 06 09:57 PM