Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Appliance rollers?

I need some for the washing machine (90kg) and a couple of other machines,
with brakes.

Screwfix sell them - and so do Argos.

eg:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001801& productId=1500510953&langId=-1&engine=froogle&keyword=Guider+Rider+Appliance+Ro llers&_$ja=tsid:11527
cc:|prd:8411220|cat:Other+Diy+Tools+And+Equipment

Reviews are both ways.

Before I buy these, anyone come across a set they are really happy with?

Ideally, they should have recesses so the appliance feet locate positively
within them - looks like the Argos ones do.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:41:32 +0100, Tim W wrote:

Before I buy these, anyone come across a set they are really happy with?

I had some which looked much the same as the Argos ones and they were
pretty useless. They add height to the machine so it may not fit
under work surfaces. The rollers were small and hence didn't cope
with any floor roughness. They were bought for use in house where the
plastic floor tiles stopped just underneath the worktop line and
behind that was concrete. Moving the appliance on them was no easier
than wrestling it out. You can only pull straight out and they would
stop on the lino lip at which point the appliance pulled off them. I
think you will find the pads are just that - with a slightly raised
edge rather than a significant recess for the appliance feet. They
also corroded quite quickly.

Unless you have room to pull the appliance fully out in a perfectly
straight line they don't work - they don't turn corners at all.

For a perfectly smooth floor under the machine with perfectly straight
access to pull them out they are fine - but on such a floor you don't
really need them anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry
wibbled on Friday 23 October 2009 14:02

[...]

Cicero/Peter,

Hmm. We had some when I were a lad, but they were on lino.

Floor damage was something I was trying to avoid. I reckon dragging the
machine out (at 90kg) on its own feet is not going to do the floor much
good either (slate).

Perhaps I should look more at some little cups with felt on. The felt
shouldn't walk too much and will protect the floor while sliding.

Or maybe stick the felt on the machine's feet if they're big enough.

I agree with the idea of hardboard for a deliberate move - but sometimes it
would be nice to slide the machine out for cleaning without a lot of
wibbling.

Height's not a problem as I can built the worktops to accommodate such
things

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only system that works is a low profile parallelogram that slides
underneath.
You lift the handle at the front, the parallelogram expands upwards
lifting the appliance off the floor. The parallelogram action stops
just after it goes past vertical - ideally a press-to-release cable
latch could be implemented to lock it.
The underside has large PTFE sliders or rollers.
The problem is accommodating washing machines, cookers & freezers of
over 120kg.

A sack cart isn't ideal - the ledge does not extend far enough under
the appliance (instead hooking under the front and burying itself in
motor & hoses underneath); additionally most cars are not strong
enough to handle 120kg+ machines. The fundamental flaw is you can't
tilt sufficiently due to the proximity to low kitchen worktops so you
end up half lifting, half dragging the thing out of its hole.

The solution is for manufacturers to simply fit a full width roller on
the rear of heavy appliances, then the front has castors or spherical
sliders which are simply "disintermediated out" by screw down
adjustable feet which are relatively common. Perhaps one area where a
good few lawsuits for injury would actually (uniquely?) have a benefit
for society. Marketing evidentally get someone else to pull their
machine out, no doubt whilst they play with coloured bricks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

js.b1
wibbled on Friday 23 October 2009 16:58

The only system that works is a low profile parallelogram that slides
underneath.

Does this have a product name? Not sure if you're proposing something or if
it actually exists - only I haven't come across one in my extensive
googling - but it sounds ideal

You lift the handle at the front, the parallelogram expands upwards
lifting the appliance off the floor. The parallelogram action stops
just after it goes past vertical - ideally a press-to-release cable
latch could be implemented to lock it.
The underside has large PTFE sliders or rollers.
The problem is accommodating washing machines, cookers & freezers of
over 120kg.

That's not a problem. 90kg is my worst case - most of the widgets are much
lighter.

The solution is for manufacturers to simply fit a full width roller on
the rear of heavy appliances, then the front has castors or spherical
sliders which are simply "disintermediated out" by screw down
adjustable feet which are relatively common.

A simple solution which we employed on computer racks - works well there...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 23, 5:09*pm, Tim W wrote:
js.b1
* wibbled on Friday 23 October 2009 16:58
The only system that works is a low profile parallelogram that slides
underneath.

Does this have a product name? Not sure if you're proposing something or if
it actually exists - only I haven't come across one in my extensive
googling - but it sounds ideal

I have seen it, but not for many years (18 I'd guess).
It worked superbly and was used by German kitchen fitters.

The solution is for manufacturers to simply fit a full width roller on
the rear of heavy appliances, then the front has castors or spherical
sliders which are simply "disintermediated out" by screw down
adjustable feet which are relatively common.

A simple solution which we employed on computer racks - works well there....

It does - the feet can be anti-slip because they are withdrawn for
movement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim W" wrote in message
[...]

I had some rollers and the rubber pads got squashed with the weigh of the
appliance. Also any grip on the floor got onto the roller and it marked the
floor. Hardboard idea is by far the best - I have 4 strips in the garage
just for this purpose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"Tim W" wrote in message
[...]

appliance. Also any grit on the floor got onto the roller and it marked
the floor. Hardboard idea is by far the best - I have 4 strips in the
garage just for this purpose.

Should be "GRIT"

paint rollers Stephen[_6_] UK diy 6 May 1st 09 07:00 PM
Pour-in rollers Jim S UK diy 18 June 26th 08 09:05 AM
Paint rollers CJC UK diy 17 June 6th 08 10:15 PM
Appliance Rollers gospvg UK diy 9 April 12th 08 10:02 AM
Autofeed Rollers John UK diy 8 April 1st 05 04:51 PM