Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stop the Cat

OK .. an odd one ...
Built myself an outbuilding in Oak Barnstyle ... with 6x6 posts, gallows
brackets etc.
Only using treated softwood not Oak.

The centre post is now being shredded by a cat ... presumably sharpening
it's claws, the front looks like it's been attacked with a saw, and it's
shredding off the corners.
Not a particularly good pic ... just took it in dark .. but you can see the
damage.
http://tinyurl.com/yj8ufm9

I find slivers of wood on the drive every morning.

I bought some anti-scent marking spray - but that is having no effect.

I did wrap it in plastic DPC for a couple of months ... didn't touch the
plastic ..(or any of the other posts)
But black dpc looks bad.

Suggestions ? .. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire ... but
abstract minds of d-i-y bound to have a better idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:10:41 +0100
"Rick Hughes" wrote:

[...]

Shot gun. I wuz just shot blastin' it Occifer, when dis moggy ran across
der barn...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

. ..
"Rick Hughes" wrote:

Shot gun. I wuz just shot blastin' it Occifer, when dis moggy ran across
der barn...

not seen the offender, and it might be my own cat in which case shooting it
would not go down well with SWHBO

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick Hughes" wrote:

Shot gun. I wuz just shot blastin' it Occifer, when dis moggy ran across
der barn...

not seen the offender, and it might be my own cat in which case shooting
it would not go down well with SWHBO

This guy did not see the offender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEb2lgGBEvU

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:10:41 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:
Suggestions ? .. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire ... but
abstract minds of d-i-y bound to have a better idea.

Park a scratching post next to it as a more favourable target? Our cats
seem to like bits of old rugs/carpets, or old rope wrapped tightly around
a post...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
The centre post is now being shredded by a cat ... presumably sharpening
it's claws, the front looks like it's been attacked with a saw, and it's
shredding off the corners.

[snip]

Suggestions ? .. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire ... but
abstract minds of d-i-y bound to have a better idea.

Angle grinder. Claws. Sorted.

--
*My dog can lick anyone

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:10:41 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:
Suggestions ? .. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire ... but
abstract minds of d-i-y bound to have a better idea.

Park a scratching post next to it as a more favourable target? Our cats
seem to like bits of old rugs/carpets, or old rope wrapped tightly around
a post...

How much CO2 footprint would you save by getting rid of the cat?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 13, 6:10*pm, "Rick Hughes" wrote:
OK .. an odd one ...
Built myself an outbuilding in Oak Barnstyle ... with 6x6 posts, gallows
brackets etc.
Only using treated softwood not Oak.

The centre post is now being shredded by a cat ... presumably sharpening
it's claws, the front looks like it's been attacked with a saw, and it's
shredding off the corners.
Not a particularly good pic ... just took it in dark .. but you can see the
damage.http://tinyurl.com/yj8ufm9

I find slivers of wood on the drive every morning.

I bought some anti-scent marking spray - but that is having no effect.

I did wrap it in plastic DPC for a couple of months ... didn't touch the
plastic ..(or any of the other posts)
But black dpc looks bad.

Suggestions ? *.. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire ... but
abstract minds of d-i-y bound to have a better idea.

Suggestion: Not necessarily permanent. Fold some thin aluminium around
bottom of post. You might even be able to paint it suitable colour?
Alternatively split a piece of metal or plastic pipe or duct that is
bigger than the post and see if you can spring it open enough to fit
around post ................ idea being to discourage cat who will
eventually learn to scratch elsewhere? Put scratching pad nearby and
put cat-nip or other attraction on it? Spray or paint dog/bear/wolf
urine or repellant on post?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 13, 9:10*pm, "Rick Hughes" wrote:
OK .. an odd one ...
Built myself an outbuilding in Oak Barnstyle ... with 6x6 posts, gallows
brackets etc.
Only using treated softwood not Oak.

The centre post is now being shredded by a cat ... presumably sharpening
it's claws, the front looks like it's been attacked with a saw, and it's
shredding off the corners.
Not a particularly good pic ... just took it in dark .. but you can see the
damage.http://tinyurl.com/yj8ufm9

I find slivers of wood on the drive every morning.

I bought some anti-scent marking spray - but that is having no effect.

I did wrap it in plastic DPC for a couple of months ... didn't touch the
plastic ..(or any of the other posts)
But black dpc looks bad.

Suggestions ? *.. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire ... but
abstract minds of d-i-y bound to have a better idea.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Cat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oddly enough cats do seem to like treated softwood with coarse grain.
It allows their claws to slide along it. It is not a fox, but does
seem like more than one attack by a cat. Normally it is just light
scratch marks, that is quite a collection of abraided wood marks :-)

Stick a post in nearby, or one with sissel (sp?) rope or similar. Cat
scratching post.

Cats are bizarrely possessive about gardens, putting gravel down &
moving things doesn't half get you a "frown, sulk, cat bat across the
face". Seems there is a CWMBO element to consider.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
The centre post is now being shredded by a cat ... presumably sharpening
it's claws, the front looks like it's been attacked with a saw, and it's
shredding off the corners.

[snip]

Suggestions ? .. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire ... but
abstract minds of d-i-y bound to have a better idea.

Angle grinder. Claws. Sorted.

Car body filler. KittyMittens. Sorted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Local stables.
Borrow electric fence shock unit and some tape
Wind tape around the post.
Engage current
Await squeals of the feline version of "whatthe****inellwasthat!" from the
post are later on

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 17:03:01 -0700 (PDT)
stan wrote:
Spray or paint dog/bear/wolf
urine or repellant on post?

I'm told Lion dung is an effective cat deterrent. Getting it is the
BIG problem. It also might deter "'er indoors".
R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

A Python would do the trick. And you won't have to feed it very
often. A large cat would sustain it for months.
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Oct, 21:10, "Rick Hughes" wrote:

Suggestions ? *.. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire

Wooden cladding and let it scratch. Replace as necessary.

I like cats scratching wood - every scratch there is one less in the
sofa.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:10:41 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:
Suggestions ? .. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire ... but
abstract minds of d-i-y bound to have a better idea.

Park a scratching post next to it as a more favourable target? Our cats
seem to like bits of old rugs/carpets, or old rope wrapped tightly around
a post...

Decoy is the right idea - lean up an old bit of timber nearby and
they'll use that instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:23:39 +0100, Jim wrote:

Jules wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:10:41 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:
Suggestions ? .. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire ... but
abstract minds of d-i-y bound to have a better idea.

Park a scratching post next to it as a more favourable target? Our cats
seem to like bits of old rugs/carpets, or old rope wrapped tightly around
a post...

Decoy is the right idea - lean up an old bit of timber nearby and
they'll use that instead.

Maybe, maybe not. As anyone who has cats will know, once they get imprinted
on using a particular scratching post, it's the devil's own job to stop
them. I'd go with a nearby substitute *and* wrap the existing with somethng
to stop the cat getting to it until it becomes fixed on the new post. And
that won't always work!

--
The Wanderer

Life is a catastrophic success.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 14, 11:09*am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 13 Oct, 21:10, "Rick Hughes" wrote:

Suggestions ? *.. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire

Wooden cladding and let it scratch. Replace as necessary.

I like cats scratching wood - every scratch there is one less in the
sofa.

A SSScat device which is a pir + solenoid + air duster can. When said
cat approaches it gets a blast of air which shocks them enough to
avoid that location in future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdKtEM_ZT7w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP5gx6Bw7v0&NR

Also if you put it next to a decoy you could then move the device
around and duplicate decoys to confuse the cat. Similar in the way
that out of 10 gatso cameras maybe only 1 has a camera in -but which
one

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:10:41 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:
Suggestions ? .. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire
... but abstract minds of d-i-y bound to have a better idea.

Park a scratching post next to it as a more favourable target? Our
cats seem to like bits of old rugs/carpets, or old rope wrapped
tightly around a post...

Decoy is the right idea - lean up an old bit of timber nearby and
they'll use that instead.

Maybe, maybe not. As anyone who has cats will know, once they get
imprinted on using a particular scratching post, it's the devil's own
job to stop them. I'd go with a nearby substitute *and* wrap the
existing with somethng to stop the cat getting to it until it becomes
fixed on the new post. And that won't always work!

How about applying some sort of wood hardener, the stuff you use to treat
rotten wood in frames?

The change in texture of the wood might be enough to stop the cat clawing
it. You'd need to test a small area to see if the appearance is acceptable
for you. A decoy bit would be handy too.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

vindaloo paste? Keeps crows off dustbins.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:27:51 +0100, PeterC wrote:
vindaloo paste? Keeps crows off dustbins.

I read that as cows :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:10:41 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:
Suggestions ? .. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire ... but
abstract minds of d-i-y bound to have a better idea.

Park a scratching post next to it as a more favourable target? Our cats
seem to like bits of old rugs/carpets, or old rope wrapped tightly around
a post...

Decoy is the right idea - lean up an old bit of timber nearby and
they'll use that instead.

Maybe, maybe not. As anyone who has cats will know, once they get imprinted
on using a particular scratching post, it's the devil's own job to stop
them.

That's where I've found a deterrent also comes in useful - just need to
use it for as long as it takes them to divert their attention to the 'new'
thing nad get use to that, then you can stop. Maybe wrap the post or keep
using the spray for a couple of weeks once there's a nice scratching post
in place.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
OK .. an odd one ...
Built myself an outbuilding in Oak Barnstyle ... with 6x6 posts,
gallows brackets etc.
Only using treated softwood not Oak.

The centre post is now being shredded by a cat ... presumably
sharpening it's claws, the front looks like it's been attacked with a
saw, and it's shredding off the corners.
Not a particularly good pic ... just took it in dark .. but you can
see the damage.
http://tinyurl.com/yj8ufm9

Clad the wood in perspex.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stan" wrote in message
Spray or paint dog/bear/wolf urine or repellant on post?

not sure what shelf /bear/wolf urine is kept in B&Q :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rick Hughes
writes
OK .. an odd one ...

Suggestions ? .. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire ...
but abstract minds of d-i-y bound to have a better idea.

Chicken wire'd be fine, just gotta stop the breaker from tripping before
the cat is cooked.

--
Clint Sharp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 07:57:01 -0500, Jules wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:27:51 +0100, PeterC wrote:
vindaloo paste? Keeps crows off dustbins.

I read that as cows :-)

Now that'd be silly - the dustbin would collapse.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 07:57:01 -0500, Jules wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:27:51 +0100, PeterC wrote:
vindaloo paste? Keeps crows off dustbins.

I read that as cows :-)

Now that'd be silly - the dustbin would collapse.

Hence the need to spread vindaloo paste on the bins, it'd be a right
bugger (tm) having to replace the bins every time the cows had been at
them.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:39:33 +0100, PeterC wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 07:57:01 -0500, Jules wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:27:51 +0100, PeterC wrote:
vindaloo paste? Keeps crows off dustbins.

I read that as cows :-)

Now that'd be silly - the dustbin would collapse.

Not if it were chock-full of vindaloo paste and had a good lid seal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rick Hughes"
saying something like:

Suggestions ? .. only thought so far is to clad in chicken wire ... but
abstract minds of d-i-y bound to have a better idea.

Wrap it in rope. It's an outbuilding after all, not your living room.

outside stop cock doesn't stop water when turned. Clare UK diy 13 July 19th 09 06:37 PM
non stop me nonstopeme.com Electronics Repair 0 April 17th 06 10:26 AM
non stop me nonstopeme.com Electronics Repair 0 April 17th 06 06:49 AM
Saw a Saw Stop David Woodworking 13 April 4th 06 03:18 AM
DP depth stop / quill stop Gerald Ross Woodturning 3 December 28th 04 03:16 PM