Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Saw a Saw Stop

I've heard that the "fit and finish" is supposedly excellent. I'd take
exception to that characterization, based on the unit I just inspected.
The paint job was horrible! Lots of debris was trapped under the
glossy black paint covering the fence and rails. Maybe a Saw Stop was
in operation a few feet away from where they paint them? What a
mess! For $3,500 I'd expect better. The table itself looked beefy and
the elevation handle moved smoothly. I liked the overly large shutoff
switch. Integral locking casters in the base--nice touch. The handle on
the fence stuck out more than I'd like. I didn't get a chance to hear
it run. oh, it has a flat belt instead of 3 V belts like the
Uni--that's a plus. What a shame it's so expensive (I'm sure that
comment will trigger arguments about how much is a finger worth). All
in all it looks well built. Now if they can figure out how to apply a
decent paint job.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Plamann

"David" wrote in message
[...]

I recently had a chance to use one of these saws. I never though too much
about the hype surrounding this saw. But I was actually impressed with the
function of the saw. It felt good and was easy to set up and use. I have a
much different opinion of it now than just thinking of it as a safety
gimmick.

I forgot to look at the paint job.

Tom Plamann

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Tom
Plamann wrote:

I recently had a chance to use one of these saws. I never though too much
about the hype surrounding this saw. But I was actually impressed with the
function of the saw. It felt good and was easy to set up and use. I have a
much different opinion of it now than just thinking of it as a safety
gimmick.

It seems that the consensus is it's a well-made saw. But is it value
for the price point? Those of us who haven't had an opportunity to use
it want to know.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Dave Balderstone wrote:

It seems that the consensus is it's a well-made saw. But is it value
for the price point? Those of us who haven't had an opportunity to use
it want to know.

They've got one at the Saskatoon House of Tools, if you haven't already
seen it.

The only time I've actually seen one running was at the wood show where
they were demoing the "stop" feature, rather than the "cut" feature.

It seems to have a euro-style mechanism where the arbor actually travels
straight up and down, but it still has the anti-kickback pawls, no doubt
due to legistative stuff. I bet you could make a riving knife that you
could actually leave on for non-through cuts.

Is it worth the money? Not for me.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Tom Plamann wrote:
"David" wrote in message

[...]

yeah, you got to USE it; I only got to LOOK at it, Tom.

dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Plamann

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:310320061610351100%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Tom
Plamann wrote:

I recently had a chance to use one of these saws. I never though too much
about the hype surrounding this saw. But I was actually impressed with
the
function of the saw. It felt good and was easy to set up and use. I have
much different opinion of it now than just thinking of it as a safety
gimmick.

It seems that the consensus is it's a well-made saw. But is it value
for the price point? Those of us who haven't had an opportunity to use
it want to know.

Could be. Although it may be a bit over priced to help cover their R&D, it
looked like the parts were of good quality. So I would guess it be left to
the buyer on what they can afford and if they have a habit of putting their
fingers close to spinning saw blades.
I would still like to see someone brave enough to stick a finger into a saw
stop blade.

Tom Plamann

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

The only time I've actually seen one running was at the wood show where
they were demoing the "stop" feature, rather than the "cut" feature.

All these demos of the stop feature at woodworking shows, has anyone timed
how long it take to change the cartridge/blade and be ready to operate
again?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Chris Friesen
wrote:

They've got one at the Saskatoon House of Tools, if you haven't already
seen it.

I haven't been in to HOT for some time. I'll make a point of it next
week, they're not far from work.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Dave Balderstone entity posted thusly:

In article , Chris Friesen
wrote:

They've got one at the Saskatoon House of Tools, if you haven't already
seen it.

I haven't been in to HOT for some time. I'll make a point of it next
week, they're not far from work.

How is House of Tools, anyway? I have just learned that Mr. Tool in
Regina is about to become a House of Tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Brown

You've never been in the Saskatoon store?

I was, until Lee Valley, my favourite place whenever I went to Toon Town.

It is sort of hard to describe, but as you might expect, the Saskatoon store
at least is a large warehouse sort of place, I'd guess something like 5000 +
sq feet - maybe 4 - 5 times as big as Mr. Tool?

They have several differen t areas for hand tools, power tools, etc. They
carry several brands and their own house brand, you can visit their website
if you want to to get an idea.

The Saskatoon store is way better than anything in Regina.

wrote:

They've got one at the Saskatoon House of Tools, if you haven't already
seen it.

I haven't been in to HOT for some time. I'll make a point of it next
week, they're not far from work.

How is House of Tools, anyway? I have just learned that Mr. Tool in
Regina is about to become a House of Tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Doug Brown entity posted thusly:

You've never been in the Saskatoon store?

I've been to Saskatoon maybe 3 times. Each time, it's been on
business, and I was in and out, with no time to see or do much of
anything.

The Saskatoon store is way better than anything in Regina.

Why do I find that incredibly easy to believe. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Hal

Upscale wrote:
"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

The only time I've actually seen one running was at the wood show where
they were demoing the "stop" feature, rather than the "cut" feature.

All these demos of the stop feature at woodworking shows, has anyone timed
how long it take to change the cartridge/blade and be ready to operate
again?

Iffin I had one of these saws, and I actually had the thing stop due to
my flesh hittin the blade, I'm not so sure that I would be in any real
great hurry to change the cartridge/blade... at least not till i had
fresh skivvies on!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Oleg Lego
wrote:

How is House of Tools, anyway? I have just learned that Mr. Tool in
Regina is about to become a House of Tools.

Their pricing is fair, pretty much matching everyone else. I keep an
eye on their sale flyers, particularly for clamps.

I've bought a fair bit from them over the past 5 years.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

wrote:

How is House of Tools, anyway? I have just learned that Mr. Tool in
Regina is about to become a House of Tools.

Their pricing is fair, pretty much matching everyone else. I keep an
eye on their sale flyers, particularly for clamps.

I've bought a fair bit from them over the past 5 years.

Thanks. I'll let you know when they arrive.

One thing I liked about Mr. Tool is that they had used stuff on
consignment . Bought a few things from them. Latest was a low-end
Craftsman bandsaw for about 60 bucks. Just the ticket for making
router forms.

Larry