Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Supporting a towel radiator

Hi. I've bought a fairly big (400mm x 1500mm) towel radiator, which will be
water filled (attached to CH), so quite heavy.

There are 4 supports which came with it. I think they are standard towel
radiator supports. They include 4 tubes. Each tube is completely open at
one end and closed at the other end. The closed end is drilled with a hole
for a screw to pass through, so the tube is screwed end-on to the wall.
(That doesn't sound clear, but if you've used them, you'll know what I
mean!). The radiator is attached to the tubes with some other bits

My wall is fairly sound - plaster over brick - but my concern is the
leverage on the tubes. It will tend to bend the tubes downwards as the
relatively soft plaster will be crushed by the leverage. If I were putting
these on tiles, I think the hardness would provide sufficient support, but
I'm not.

Has anyone used this system and found problems? Or am I worrying over
nothing?
Do I need additional support for the tubes (e.g. metal plate on the wall
surface for the tube to press against)?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
[...]

If the fixing is sound you won't have a problem. Use large plugs 7mm/8mm
drill size and No;10 screws protruding 50mm ish past the fixing.

Be easier to pull a sailor off your sister...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

If the fixing is sound you won't have a problem. Use large plugs
7mm/8mm drill size and No;10 screws protruding 50mm ish past the
fixing.

Going off at a tangent slightly . . .

Anyone know whether you can get 7.5mm SDS bits? [I've got some plastic plugs
which won't comfortably go into a 7mm hole, but are like a prick in a
shirt-sleeve - and turn with the screw - in an 8mm hole.]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.. .
Steve wrote:
Hi. I've bought a fairly big (400mm x 1500mm) towel radiator, which
will be water filled (attached to CH), so quite heavy.

There are 4 supports which came with it. I think they are standard
towel radiator supports. They include 4 tubes. Each tube is
completely open at one end and closed at the other end. The closed
end is drilled with a hole for a screw to pass through, so the tube

..
snip
..
Do I need additional support for the tubes (e.g. metal plate on the
wall surface for the tube to press against)?

If the fixing is sound you won't have a problem. Use large plugs 7mm/8mm
drill size and No;10 screws protruding 50mm ish past the fixing.

Be easier to pull a sailor off your sister..
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Thanks Dave. I presume you mean the screw should be 50mm into the wall (it
can't protrude outwards from the wall as it has to be fully screwed in).
I can see this will definitely be difficult to pull out, but if the plaster
is soft, won't the tube tend to tilt, pivotting on the head of the screw,
and be pulled so the underside of the face in contact with wall sinks the
plaster?

(I think my sister might repel boarders and prevent any protruding in the
first place.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:

If the fixing is sound you won't have a problem. Use large plugs
7mm/8mm drill size and No;10 screws protruding 50mm ish past the
fixing.

Going off at a tangent slightly . . .

Anyone know whether you can get 7.5mm SDS bits? [I've got some plastic
plugs which won't comfortably go into a 7mm hole, but are like a prick in
a shirt-sleeve - and turn with the screw - in an 8mm hole.]
--
Cheers,
Roger
______
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!

You could use a 7mm bit and 'wiggle' it around a bit to slightly enlarge the
hole. Also I've found debris can prevent plugs going in cleanly, so I
usually vacuum clean the hole after drilling. Or you could replace your
plastic plugs.
Cheers
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Hi. I've bought a fairly big (400mm x 1500mm) towel radiator, which
will be water filled (attached to CH), so quite heavy.

There are 4 supports which came with it. I think they are standard
towel radiator supports. They include 4 tubes. Each tube is
completely open at one end and closed at the other end. The closed
end is drilled with a hole for a screw to pass through, so the tube

.
snip
.
Do I need additional support for the tubes (e.g. metal plate on the
wall surface for the tube to press against)?

If the fixing is sound you won't have a problem. Use large plugs
7mm/8mm drill size and No;10 screws protruding 50mm ish past the
fixing. Be easier to pull a sailor off your sister..
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Thanks Dave. I presume you mean the screw should be 50mm into the
wall (it can't protrude outwards from the wall as it has to be fully
screwed in).

Yes.

I can see this will definitely be difficult to pull out, but if the
plaster is soft, won't the tube tend to tilt, pivotting on the head
of the screw, and be pulled so the underside of the face in contact
with wall sinks the plaster?

The fixing will be into the brick, not the plaster. I dont see that it will
tilt.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi. I've bought a fairly big (400mm x 1500mm) towel radiator, which will
be

..
.snip

..Thanks for replies chaps. Very helpful. I'll go ahead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

If the fixing is sound you won't have a problem. Use large plugs
7mm/8mm drill size and No;10 screws protruding 50mm ish past the
fixing.

Going off at a tangent slightly . . .

Anyone know whether you can get 7.5mm SDS bits? [I've got some plastic
plugs which won't comfortably go into a 7mm hole, but are like a prick in
a shirt-sleeve - and turn with the screw - in an 8mm hole.]

You could use a 7mm bit and 'wiggle' it around a bit to slightly enlarge the
hole. Also I've found debris can prevent plugs going in cleanly, so I
usually vacuum clean the hole after drilling. Or you could replace your
plastic plugs.

Or, to get a smaller cleaner 8mm hole, drill a 6mm one first,
and then widen it out using 7mm and 8mm bits without hammer
action.

I have a 5.5mm SDS, but I suspect that above that, any .5's
are generally lost in the inaccuracy of the hole, resulting
from the way a hammer drill (most particularly SDS) works.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Towel radiator F UK diy 8 February 16th 06 03:11 AM
Towel radiator siting [email protected] UK diy 1 February 8th 06 11:29 PM
Using a standard radiator as an electric towel radiator [email protected] UK diy 5 October 11th 05 11:41 AM
Towel radiator jez UK diy 4 August 14th 05 11:20 PM
towel rail radiator Tim Smith UK diy 0 March 17th 05 07:34 AM