Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMC GMC is offline

Default sink revival / restoration

I am the lucky owner of a Franke Stainless sink, the sink has been quite
badly scratched in places by the previous owner - it looks like
something like a blunt kitchen knife has been used to scrape it. I have
used a S/S cleaner (mild cutting paste by the look and feel of it) and
it has made a nice job of the good parts of the sink but the deeper
scratches just wont shift, it is bearable but i would prefer to remove
them if its possible. Is there a product that I can use that will buff
out the scratches without causing extra damage? I was thinking of a more
aggressive cutting paste? Does anyone have any ideas / links to wonder
products etc???

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GMC" wrote in message ...
I am the lucky owner of a Franke Stainless sink, the sink has been quite
badly scratched in places by the previous owner - it looks like something
like a blunt kitchen knife has been used to scrape it. I have used a S/S
cleaner (mild cutting paste by the look and feel of it) and it has made a
nice job of the good parts of the sink but the deeper scratches just wont
shift, it is bearable but i would prefer to remove them if its possible. Is
there a product that I can use that will buff out the scratches without
causing extra damage? I was thinking of a more aggressive cutting paste?
Does anyone have any ideas / links to wonder products etc???

TIA

Possibly treat it like car paintwork - progressively finer wet and dry then
cutting compound then polish.

No guarantee that this will be quick, easy, or result in a mirror finish.

What is that caveat? "Try on an inconspicuous are first"?

If the scratches are deep then you might have to remove a lot of metal to
get the surface down to that level, so accepting it might be an option.

HTH

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMC wrote:
I am the lucky owner of a Franke Stainless sink, the sink has been quite
badly scratched in places by the previous owner - it looks like
something like a blunt kitchen knife has been used to scrape it. I have
used a S/S cleaner (mild cutting paste by the look and feel of it) and
it has made a nice job of the good parts of the sink but the deeper
scratches just wont shift, it is bearable but i would prefer to remove
them if its possible. Is there a product that I can use that will buff
out the scratches without causing extra damage? I was thinking of a more
aggressive cutting paste? Does anyone have any ideas / links to wonder
products etc???

The sheds sell a product made by 3M (Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing
Co.) that is called Scotch Bright. Buy the one that is used for metal
and try that. Otherwise, it will be back to wet and dry car abrasives.

Dave