Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is SDS all right for 25mm hole in brick?

I would like to make a hole in a single-leaf brick wall, so I can pass a
22mm copper pipe through. There is access to one side of the wall only.

Would using a 25mm SDS drill be a satisfactory and safe way of making this
hole? Would break-out on the far side be a problem? I have never used an
SDS drill as big as this (nothing bigger than 10mm previously), so I am not
sure what to expect.

Or should I be thinking of using something different from an SDS drill?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anode" notvalid wrote in message
I would like to make a hole in a single-leaf brick wall, so I can pass a
22mm copper pipe through. There is access to one side of the wall only.

Would using a 25mm SDS drill be a satisfactory and safe way of making this
hole? Would break-out on the far side be a problem? I have never used an
SDS drill as big as this (nothing bigger than 10mm previously), so I am
not sure what to expect.

Or should I be thinking of using something different from an SDS drill?

It will be fine - if break-out is a problem [cosmetically] go through with a
smaller bit first, then back (from the visible side) with the 25mm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:18:56 +0100, Anode wrote:

I would like to make a hole in a single-leaf brick wall, so I can pass a
22mm copper pipe through. There is access to one side of the wall only.

Would using a 25mm SDS drill be a satisfactory and safe way of making this
hole? Would break-out on the far side be a problem? I have never used an
SDS drill as big as this (nothing bigger than 10mm previously), so I am not
sure what to expect.

Or should I be thinking of using something different from an SDS drill?

SDS will do it, but will make a mess on the break-out side. Drilling a
smaller pilot hole and then expanding it to 25mm will be easier and make
less mess.

The only real alternative is a small diameter core drill. ISTR
Toolstation do them (I got one elsewhere, some time ago, and still haven't
needed to use it yet!) and you could probably drive it from a standard
decent mains power drill - regular or SDS (with hammer switched off) and
the appropriate arbor.

Remember to protect your copper pipe from direct contact with the
brickwork & mortar. I usually core drill a larger size than 25mm and use
some 32mm waste to sleeve it (or appropriate size thick yellow polythene
pipe left over from gas installation in road if I'm installing a pipe for
gas). With a 25mm hole you'll have to use either 28mm copper or plastic
pipe (with the hole wiggled with the SDS bit to make it oversize) or
wrap with plenty of PVC tape or suchlike.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Thank God I'm an atheist
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:18:56 +0100, Anode wrote:

Would using a 25mm SDS drill be a satisfactory and safe way of making
this hole?

Very satisfactory. Safe, well that depends on what you hit in the
wall or the other side. B-)

Would break-out on the far side be a problem?

Only if you go the last inch or so flat out. Take it easy for the
last bit and you shouldn't get any or only minimal spalling not the
great saucer you see where the Sky Cowboys have blasted through with
their 8mm drill.
If you know the thickness of the wall wrap a bit of tape around the
drill at that deepth so you can see how far you have left to go.

I have never used an SDS drill as big as this (nothing bigger than 10mm
previously), so I am not sure what to expect.

Might be worth taking a pilot hole through first but an SDS will
drill 25mm in one hit, don't forget to keep pulling the bit back to
clear the dust.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AlanD" wrote in message

"Anode" notvalid wrote in message
I would like to make a hole in a single-leaf brick wall, so I can pass a
22mm copper pipe through. There is access to one side of the wall only.

Would using a 25mm SDS drill be a satisfactory and safe way of making
this hole? Would break-out on the far side be a problem? I have never
used an SDS drill as big as this (nothing bigger than 10mm previously),
so I am not sure what to expect.

Or should I be thinking of using something different from an SDS drill?

It will be fine - if break-out is a problem [cosmetically] go through with
a smaller bit first, then back (from the visible side) with the 25mm.

Thank you for the reassurance, it gives me confidence to have a go.

Anode.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:43:20 +0000, YAPH wrote:
SDS will do it, but will make a mess on the break-out side. Drilling a
smaller pilot hole and then expanding it to 25mm will be easier and make
less mess.

Or if there's access, drill the pilot and then drill the "last inch" or
so of the hole from the other side.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks for your response; it has inclined me to think about using a
core drill (never used one in brick before so it should be interesting), and
to make a larger hole than 25mm which will make the sleeving you mention an
easier job.

Anode.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

Thanks for sharing your experience. I shall have to decide whether to go SDS
or Core drill. And I am now thinking that a hole larger than 25mm will make
the job of sleeving an easier proposition. But it is comforting to know that
SDS would be all right.

Many thanks,

Anode.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:43:20 +0000, YAPH wrote:
SDS will do it, but will make a mess on the break-out side. Drilling a
smaller pilot hole and then expanding it to 25mm will be easier and make
less mess.

Or if there's access, drill the pilot and then drill the "last inch" or
so of the hole from the other side.

Thanks for the suggestion. However in this case I have access to one side
only.

Anode.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anode" notvalid
wibbled on Saturday 26 September 2009 01:03

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:43:20 +0000, YAPH wrote:
SDS will do it, but will make a mess on the break-out side. Drilling a
smaller pilot hole and then expanding it to 25mm will be easier and make
less mess.

Or if there's access, drill the pilot and then drill the "last inch" or
so of the hole from the other side.

Thanks for the suggestion. However in this case I have access to one side
only.

Anode.

Use a TCT core cutter. Use hammer until you are within the last 2cm (go by
measurement) then turn hammer off and go slow. The last 2cm will take some
time but you should come out with minimal damage.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 23:35:20 +0100, AlanD wrote:

"Anode" notvalid wrote in message
I would like to make a hole in a single-leaf brick wall, so I can pass a
22mm copper pipe through. There is access to one side of the wall only.

Would using a 25mm SDS drill be a satisfactory and safe way of making this
hole? Would break-out on the far side be a problem? I have never used an
SDS drill as big as this (nothing bigger than 10mm previously), so I am
not sure what to expect.

Or should I be thinking of using something different from an SDS drill?

It will be fine - if break-out is a problem [cosmetically] go through with a
smaller bit first, then back (from the visible side) with the 25mm.

I use the 25mm through into the second leaf, then a smaller drill, e.g.
10mm right through (saves using a small bit for a long hole) then 25mm from
t'other side.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
[...]

A good technique to bear in mind, thanks for that.
In this case I have access to one side only though.

Regards

Anode

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim W" wrote in message
"Anode" notvalid
wibbled on Saturday 26 September 2009 01:03

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:43:20 +0000, YAPH wrote:
SDS will do it, but will make a mess on the break-out side. Drilling a
smaller pilot hole and then expanding it to 25mm will be easier and
make
less mess.

Or if there's access, drill the pilot and then drill the "last inch" or
so of the hole from the other side.

Thanks for the suggestion. However in this case I have access to one side
only.

Anode.

Use a TCT core cutter. Use hammer until you are within the last 2cm (go by
measurement) then turn hammer off and go slow. The last 2cm will take some
time but you should come out with minimal damage.

--
Tim Watts

Thanks for your help Tim. I shall probably do the job in the way you
describe, so I get a hole big enough to be able to use some adequate
sleeving.

Anode.