Posted to uk.d-i-y
YAPH YAPH is offline

Default Is SDS all right for 25mm hole in brick?

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:18:56 +0100, Anode wrote:

I would like to make a hole in a single-leaf brick wall, so I can pass a
22mm copper pipe through. There is access to one side of the wall only.

Would using a 25mm SDS drill be a satisfactory and safe way of making this
hole? Would break-out on the far side be a problem? I have never used an
SDS drill as big as this (nothing bigger than 10mm previously), so I am not
sure what to expect.

Or should I be thinking of using something different from an SDS drill?

SDS will do it, but will make a mess on the break-out side. Drilling a
smaller pilot hole and then expanding it to 25mm will be easier and make
less mess.

The only real alternative is a small diameter core drill. ISTR
Toolstation do them (I got one elsewhere, some time ago, and still haven't
needed to use it yet!) and you could probably drive it from a standard
decent mains power drill - regular or SDS (with hammer switched off) and
the appropriate arbor.

Remember to protect your copper pipe from direct contact with the
brickwork & mortar. I usually core drill a larger size than 25mm and use
some 32mm waste to sleeve it (or appropriate size thick yellow polythene
pipe left over from gas installation in road if I'm installing a pipe for
gas). With a 25mm hole you'll have to use either 28mm copper or plastic
pipe (with the hole wiggled with the SDS bit to make it oversize) or
wrap with plenty of PVC tape or suchlike.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Thank God I'm an atheist