Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Is SDS all right for 25mm hole in brick?

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 23:35:20 +0100, AlanD wrote:

"Anode" notvalid wrote in message
I would like to make a hole in a single-leaf brick wall, so I can pass a
22mm copper pipe through. There is access to one side of the wall only.

Would using a 25mm SDS drill be a satisfactory and safe way of making this
hole? Would break-out on the far side be a problem? I have never used an
SDS drill as big as this (nothing bigger than 10mm previously), so I am
not sure what to expect.

Or should I be thinking of using something different from an SDS drill?

It will be fine - if break-out is a problem [cosmetically] go through with a
smaller bit first, then back (from the visible side) with the 25mm.

I use the 25mm through into the second leaf, then a smaller drill, e.g.
10mm right through (saves using a small bit for a long hole) then 25mm from
t'other side.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.