Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mitre tiles round external corner?

Hi,

Just trying to work out the best way to run round a corner...

One corner is tiled to the ceiling (bath) and may have whole uncut tiles
upto the edge.

Tiles unfortunately are only part glazed on the edge or I'd just do a butt
join.

The adjoining wall is only tiled half way up (sink) with paint above.

Would a good way to do this be to cut the tiles that must be cut, with a 45
degree bevel so that the tile edge comes level with the face of the tiles
on the bath side, then grout in?

I have a wet cutter.

Like:

Bath
Whole tile ---- Grout just into this gap, flat
======== |
======== ||
========|||
||| Sink, cut tile

Or would this work better:

Bath
Whole tile ---- Grout just into this gap at 45 degrees
========
======== |
======== ||
||| Sink, cut tile

Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
Hi,

Just trying to work out the best way to run round a corner...

One corner is tiled to the ceiling (bath) and may have whole uncut tiles
upto the edge.

Tiles unfortunately are only part glazed on the edge or I'd just do a butt
join.

The adjoining wall is only tiled half way up (sink) with paint above.

Would a good way to do this be to cut the tiles that must be cut, with a 45
degree bevel so that the tile edge comes level with the face of the tiles
on the bath side, then grout in?

I have a wet cutter.

Like:

Bath
Whole tile ---- Grout just into this gap, flat
======== |
======== ||
========|||
||| Sink, cut tile

Or would this work better:

Bath
Whole tile ---- Grout just into this gap at 45 degrees
========
======== |
======== ||
||| Sink, cut tile

Tile trim. Love it or hate it, it's the only way. You don't want cut
edges on an external corner.
Looks fine as long as you choose the right size for your tile thickness
and get a close match on the colour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble
wibbled on Friday 25 September 2009 13:55

Tile trim. Love it or hate it, it's the only way. You don't want cut
edges on an external corner.
Looks fine as long as you choose the right size for your tile thickness
and get a close match on the colour.

I was considering that - and ordered some. But it turned out too deep (9mm).
That leaves me with getting some 6mm, or trying to be "traditional".

The thing that I couldn't work out with the trim is what to do with the bit
where we go from the half tiled to half untiled wall.

The lower bit obviously wants the trim to "hang out" so it aligns with the
other tiles round the corner.

The top bit would need the trim to end up aligned with the edge of the
plaster.

I was thinking later that that step might look naff too - possibly more naff
than finishing the edge with grout?...

If that's confusing, I'll do a diagram...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 2:08*pm, Tim W wrote:
[...]

Just do a butt job. Although the edges on the ones I did looked
unglazed theyre fine wrt water absorption. I guess they must have a
tiny bit of matt glaze on them.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT
wibbled on Friday 25 September 2009 14:51

On Sep 25, 2:08*pm, Tim W wrote:
[...]

That's an easy fact to check WRT to mine - ta

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
Stuart Noble
wibbled on Friday 25 September 2009 13:55

Tile trim. Love it or hate it, it's the only way. You don't want cut
edges on an external corner.
Looks fine as long as you choose the right size for your tile thickness
and get a close match on the colour.

I was considering that - and ordered some. But it turned out too deep (9mm).
That leaves me with getting some 6mm, or trying to be "traditional".

Get the 6mm!! Please! Anything else will look naff in the extreme. Also,
you need that nice smooth round from a practical point of view, and it
*will* be straight.

The thing that I couldn't work out with the trim is what to do with the bit
where we go from the half tiled to half untiled wall.

The lower bit obviously wants the trim to "hang out" so it aligns with the
other tiles round the corner.

The top bit would need the trim to end up aligned with the edge of the
plaster.

I was thinking later that that step might look naff too - possibly more naff
than finishing the edge with grout?...

If that's confusing, I'll do a diagram...

No, I know what you mean. I'd just do it in two sections. They won't
line up vertically, but you don't "see" the trim in the finished job, it
just becomes the edge of the tiles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just do a butt job. Although the edges on the ones I did looked
unglazed theyre fine wrt water absorption. I guess they must have a
tiny bit of matt glaze on them.

I bet they look terrific
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim W wrote:
Just trying to work out the best way to run round a corner...

One corner is tiled to the ceiling (bath) and may have whole uncut tiles
upto the edge.

Tiles unfortunately are only part glazed on the edge or I'd just do a
butt join.

The adjoining wall is only tiled half way up (sink) with paint above.

Would a good way to do this be to cut the tiles that must be cut, with a
45 degree bevel so that the tile edge comes level with the face of the
tiles on the bath side, then grout in?

I have a wet cutter.

No suitable tile trim? I rather like the polished ally ones. Adds a bit of
bling.

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Use edge beading, use vertical beading (visit Homelux website to see).
Use a perpendicular cut, then sand to a 45-degree mitre (few minutes
with a Mirka sandpaper).

Mitre-butts aren't ideal, but it can avoid "an explosion of trim"
appearance depending on tile colour. Done right a mitre but shows just
the finest line of grout and appears to "wrap around" the corner if
you set/spaced tiles correctly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 4:34*pm, Stuart Noble wrote:
Just do a butt job. Although the edges on the ones I did looked
unglazed theyre fine wrt water absorption. I guess they must have a
tiny bit of matt glaze on them.

I bet they look terrific

I did wonder about that beforehand, as it turns out they look at least
as good as the plastic trim job they replaced.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 6:43*pm, NT wrote:
On Sep 25, 4:34*pm, Stuart Noble wrote:

Just do a butt job. Although the edges on the ones I did looked
unglazed theyre fine wrt water absorption. I guess they must have a
tiny bit of matt glaze on them.

I bet they look terrific

I did wonder about that beforehand, as it turns out they look at least
as good as the plastic trim job they replaced.

NT

At a casual look the tile edges just look like another line of grout.
Tiles edges and grout are the same colour in this case. Would be
different if you used eg red biscuit white tiles.

NT