Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nixfix

Default Kitchen Worktop Mitre on External Corner

I've read lots of things about Mason's mitres and jigs and everything,
but I need to take my worktop around an external corner, not an
internal one as most articles seem to mention.
Does anyone have recommendations as to the best way of doing this?
I'm guessing a straight-forward full 45deg mitre (can I use one of
those jig thingys to do this?), but this would leave quite a sharp
pointy corner - any other suggestions?
TIA for any advice you guys can give me, Nick

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixfix
I've read lots of things about Mason's mitres and jigs and everything,
but I need to take my worktop around an external corner, not an
internal one as most articles seem to mention.
Does anyone have recommendations as to the best way of doing this?
I'm guessing a straight-forward full 45deg mitre (can I use one of
those jig thingys to do this?), but this would leave quite a sharp
pointy corner - any other suggestions?
TIA for any advice you guys can give me, Nick
I take it the sharp corner is over the corner of some base units below?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I'm guessing a straight-forward full 45deg mitre (can I use one of
those jig thingys to do this?), but this would leave quite a sharp
pointy corner - any other suggestions?

It is a lot easier with a solid worktop, as you can then ease out a nice
radiused curve at the corner with a router.

Does the budget stretch to using Beech/Iroko?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nixfix

Yes the corner will be over base units, specifically one of
those corner shelf units.

Corner_________
| ______
| |
| | wall
| |

Cheers...

--
Part P Avoider

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nixfix

Unfortunately not - stuck with laminate I'm afraid - I s'pose I could do a
45deg join, and then take a 45deg lop off the corner and shove some edging
strip on it to get around the sharp problem...

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
I'm guessing a straight-forward full 45deg mitre (can I use one of
those jig thingys to do this?), but this would leave quite a sharp
pointy corner - any other suggestions?

It is a lot easier with a solid worktop, as you can then ease out a nice
radiused curve at the corner with a router.

Does the budget stretch to using Beech/Iroko?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Unfortunately not - stuck with laminate I'm afraid - I s'pose I could do a
45deg join, and then take a 45deg lop off the corner and shove some edging
strip on it to get around the sharp problem...

One alternative that can work is to tile the worksurface with cheap tiles on
a sheet of ply. Then you can do any shape you like, as the front of the
worksurface is done with wooden mouldings that are easy to cut in a compound
mitre saw.

Not everyone gets on with tiled surfaces, though. Many prefer it totally
flat, although it can look nice, particularly in a traditional context, and
isn't that hard to clean.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

One alternative that can work is to tile the worksurface with cheap tiles
on
a sheet of ply. Then you can do any shape you like, as the front of the
worksurface is done with wooden mouldings that are easy to cut in a

compound
mitre saw.

P.S. This is also a cheap method for using natural stone. You can get
granite tiles (30x30) for about 3 quid a pop. This makes a 3m length of
worktop cost about 100 quid, including the ply, adhesive, grout and
mouldings. In solid granite, you could be looking at a four figure sum.

Christian.

kitchen worktop sealant Ian & Hilda Dedic UK diy 0 October 18th 05 11:36 AM
mitre cutting worktop upstands paulr UK diy 1 March 13th 05 04:52 PM
Kitchen Worktop - Deep ! Simon UK diy 6 July 16th 04 06:44 PM
Alternative materials for kitchen worktop? David McNeish UK diy 22 June 16th 04 09:38 AM
cheap alternative for kitchen worktop jig? Peter Andrews UK diy 25 September 30th 03 10:07 AM