Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Core Drills

I've got to cut one hole for a shower waste (40mm - solvent weld
probably) through a cavity wall. I don't expect to ever drill one
again.

Is a cheap TCT core drill up to the job, I have a nice Makita 2Kg SDS+
to drive it? Or is it worth hiring a diamond core drill? I am 30
country miles from the nearest Hire Shop. The smallest seems to be
52mm though - and £44 a day.

I was thinking of this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/58613/...Drill-Bit-40mm

Not having done this before, should I really go for a larger, say 45mm
drill to allow some room to get the pipe through?

I know I'll also need an arbour and pilot, is it worth getting a short
arbour (100mm) to start, and a longer one (300mm) to finish?

And finally, how long will it take to drill?

Thanks,
R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 23, 12:47*pm, TheOldFellow wrote:

Is a cheap TCT core drill up to the job, I have a nice Makita 2Kg SDS+
to drive it? *Or is it worth hiring a diamond core drill? *I am 30
country miles from the nearest Hire Shop. *The smallest seems to be
52mm though - and £44 a day.

Anywhere near an Aldi? They might still have these in stock:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...09-08-21-13-01
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:

I've got to cut one hole for a shower waste (40mm - solvent weld
probably) through a cavity wall. I don't expect to ever drill one
again.

Is a cheap TCT core drill up to the job, I have a nice Makita 2Kg SDS+
to drive it? Or is it worth hiring a diamond core drill? I am 30
country miles from the nearest Hire Shop. The smallest seems to be
52mm though - and £44 a day.

I was thinking of this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/58613/...Drill-Bit-40mm

Not having done this before, should I really go for a larger, say 45mm
drill to allow some room to get the pipe through?

I know I'll also need an arbour and pilot, is it worth getting a short
arbour (100mm) to start, and a longer one (300mm) to finish?

And finally, how long will it take to drill?

Thanks,
R.

I don't think I'd bother with a core drill for that - I'd just drill a ring
of holes from either side with an 8mm SDS drill and then knock out the bit
in the middle. Not quite as neat as using a core drill, but by the time
you've put some mortar or other sealant - which you'll need anyway - round
the pipe, you won't notice the difference.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would not use TCT, lots of noise, sintered diamond are so cheap
these days.
I would not bother hiring for such a small size.

Go to www.amazon.co.uk
Type in Blue Spot
There is a 52x150mm on there for £17.99
You will need an arbor (separate) for SDS
Turn Hammer off.
2kg SDS has enough power & already has a clutch.

When done sell it for about £5-7 plus delivery on Ebay -- *net* cost
is just £10-12. Done it dozens of times, the bit will do a huge number
of holes before the tabs wear down.

Stitch drilling is quick, but can often break up bricks and always
ends up "bigger than the equivalent core drill". If you break a hire
core bit you may get a surprisingly large bill (Marcrist or Hilti bits
cost lots).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:14:38 -0700 (PDT)
"js.b1" wrote:

I would not use TCT, lots of noise, sintered diamond are so cheap
these days.
I would not bother hiring for such a small size.

Go to www.amazon.co.uk
Type in Blue Spot
There is a 52x150mm on there for £17.99
You will need an arbor (separate) for SDS
Turn Hammer off.
2kg SDS has enough power & already has a clutch.

When done sell it for about £5-7 plus delivery on Ebay -- *net* cost
is just £10-12. Done it dozens of times, the bit will do a huge number
of holes before the tabs wear down.

Stitch drilling is quick, but can often break up bricks and always
ends up "bigger than the equivalent core drill". If you break a hire
core bit you may get a surprisingly large bill (Marcrist or Hilti bits
cost lots).

Thanks for all the advice, I've ordered a dry diamond 52x150mm from
toolstation with 200mm SDS arbor, 200mm arbour extension, and pilot.
I sold it to SWMBO on the basis that the hole would be 'clean'

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

. ..
"js.b1" wrote:

[...]

But they will swallow anything if you lie.

Adam

core drills Fred UK diy 1 July 3rd 08 05:53 PM
TCT Core Drills John Rumm UK diy 0 January 15th 08 09:43 PM
Underground, quarrying, mining, air-leg, jack-leg, hand-held rock drills, button bit, drag bits,drill rod, drill tube, drill bit, core bit, core barrel, diamonde core bit, DTH hammer, taper rod, integral drill rod, taper bit, rock drilling tools wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 07:34 AM
core drills 51 UK diy 3 August 5th 06 07:42 AM
Core drills David Hearn UK diy 14 October 25th 03 07:40 PM