Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TCT Core Drills

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Do I use the hammer action on my SDS?

I believe with the TCT ones you may be able to. With a diamond one
definitely not.

I assume the best way is to drill straight through with an 8mm extra long
drill, then drill from each side?

Yup, if it is a cavity wall. For solid walls it depends on how deep the
core is. Typical diamond ones are a bit longer than the depth of a
course of bricks or blocks so it is easy enough to do a course and break
out the core if you want to drill from one side only. Usually for non
cavity walls I drill from one side only.

The 8mm taper drill guide looks pretty much like an 8mm masonry drill and
appears to be a taper fit. I assume the drift keys are to remove it, but
why 2?

For when you lose the first!

I have a 620w Wickes SDS with clutch, powerful enough? Failing that I have

It will do the smaller ones. My 780W Makita will just about cope with
the 110, but you have to take it carefully and make sure you drill a
nice straight core so you don't add to much resistance.

a Wickes High Torque mains drill, around 85Nm torque - but no clutch, just a
large side handle. Don't fancy using that much :-)

Well 85Nm is going to be the same as about a 20kg weight on the handle
- might be ok if you are expecting it and positioned safely!

(think I would rather have a smooth shank arbour though to allow for
some slip!)

I've e-mailed Toolstation asking for instructions, but obviously no reply
yet.

Have you tried the screwfix site - they often have downloadable
instruction books.

--
Cheers,

John.

Core Drills. Matthew UK diy 6 October 12th 07 09:08 AM
Underground, quarrying, mining, air-leg, jack-leg, hand-held rock drills, button bit, drag bits,drill rod, drill tube, drill bit, core bit, core barrel, diamonde core bit, DTH hammer, taper rod, integral drill rod, taper bit, rock drilling tools wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 07:34 AM
core drills 51 UK diy 3 August 5th 06 07:42 AM
Using diamond core drills wet Mark Rand Metalworking 5 May 19th 06 05:18 AM
Core drills David Hearn UK diy 14 October 25th 03 07:40 PM