Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Curtain Rails - Batons Y/N?

Hi all

Is it usual these days to fit wood batons and then screw curtain rails to
these, or mount the rail direct on the wall?
Does that depend on the curtain rail fixing, or maybe on the curtain itself?

There were batons in place when I started the refurb of
hall/stairs/landing - these appeared to be a bit of rough roofing laith
(1970s top quality construction again)! So I was glad to get rid .

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Is it usual these days to fit wood batons and then screw curtain rails to
these, or mount the rail direct on the wall?
Does that depend on the curtain rail fixing, or maybe on the curtain
itself?

There were batons in place when I started the refurb of
hall/stairs/landing - these appeared to be a bit of rough roofing laith
(1970s top quality construction again)! So I was glad to get rid .

Phil

My preference would be to fix directly to the wall - but if the fixings will
not be perfect due to the type of construction or presence of a lintel then
I would use a batten screwed and glued to the wall. Putting a rail onto wood
is easier and who knows, you may want to change rails at some time in the
future and the batten makes it easier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Is it usual these days to fit wood batons and then screw curtain rails to
these, or mount the rail direct on the wall?
Does that depend on the curtain rail fixing, or maybe on the curtain itself?

Batons were the answer when folks didn't have an SDS to drill into the
tough concrete lintel which often presented itself nastily at the exact
point where the curtain pole mounts were to go.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:35:03 +0100, Adrian C wrote:

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Is it usual these days to fit wood batons and then screw curtain rails to
these, or mount the rail direct on the wall?
Does that depend on the curtain rail fixing, or maybe on the curtain itself?

Batons were the answer when folks didn't have an SDS to drill into the
tough concrete lintel which often presented itself nastily at the exact
point where the curtain pole mounts were to go.

Yup, in the '60s we had to go in to concrete with an ordinary drill (no
hammer) and a Rawltool!
Just put in 3 angle brackets (made from old st. st. friction hinges) for a
pelmet and made sure that the centre one was between the lintels - edge of
smae is worse than middle. Dug out the piece of ~55yo wood and filled with
cement-based filler; screws are really firm.

No batten, as the rail brackets are under the top of the pelmet - allows
desired spacing from the wall.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/09 13:31, TheScullster wrote:

Is it usual these days to fit wood batons and then screw curtain rails to
these, or mount the rail direct on the wall?

Last few rooms I've decorated I've removed the batons and fitted new new
rails/poles direct to the wall - looks less 60's/70's to me, no doubt
batons are the "next big thing" for interior designers to bring back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Is it usual these days to fit wood batons and then screw curtain
rails to these, or mount the rail direct on the wall?
Does that depend on the curtain rail fixing, or maybe on the curtain
itself?

Batons were the answer when folks didn't have an SDS to drill into the
tough concrete lintel which often presented itself nastily at the
exact point where the curtain pole mounts were to go.

Just what I were gonna say.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk