Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bay window curtain rails

Any one know of a supplier of rails and / or pelmets to fit under a bay
alcove with two approx 135 degree bends? What arrangements do all you bay
window dwellers have?

TIA

Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Big Ron wrote:
Any one know of a supplier of rails and / or pelmets to fit under a bay
alcove with two approx 135 degree bends? What arrangements do all you bay
window dwellers have?

TIA

Ron

I have a standard Swish plastic rail, which is simple and unobtrusive,
but I've fitted a couple of the ornate 3 part types with rings and
finials. A bit of a fiddle as I recall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Big Ron wrote:
Any one know of a supplier of rails and / or pelmets to fit under a bay
alcove with two approx 135 degree bends? What arrangements do all you bay
window dwellers have?

I got my rails from a local curtain shop. They're screwed into the
"ceiling" of the alcove close to the window frames. Two windows exactly
like yours cost me £75 including fitting.

--
Change nospam to f2s in email.
Due to spam originating from Google Groups, I and many others block
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Big Ron wrote:
Any one know of a supplier of rails and / or pelmets to fit under a bay
alcove with two approx 135 degree bends? What arrangements do all you
bay window dwellers have?

Dunno if they still do but some decent stores like Liberty's of London
could bend good quality steel rails using a jig - a bit like a pipe
bender. The sort of rail made of plastic which you can bend yourself tends
not to be very free running.

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Big Ron" wrote in message ...
Any one know of a supplier of rails and / or pelmets to fit under a bay
alcove with two approx 135 degree bends? What arrangements do all you bay
window dwellers have?

TIA

Ron

Copper piping bent at the corners of the bay window ie shape to fit if ya
can borrow a plumbers pipe bender.
Then paint the copper pipe with hammerite white paint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another Dave" wrote in message
Big Ron wrote:
Any one know of a supplier of rails and / or pelmets to fit under a bay
alcove with two approx 135 degree bends? What arrangements do all you

bay
window dwellers have?

I got my rails from a local curtain shop. They're screwed into the
"ceiling" of the alcove close to the window frames. Two windows exactly
like yours cost me £75 including fitting.

--
Change nospam to f2s in email.
Due to spam originating from Google Groups, I and many others block
all articles originating
from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by more
readers you will need to find
a different means of posting on Usenet.

And do visitors know that it cost £75?

Thats an helluva price to pay just to hang some curtains.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The sort of rail made of plastic which you can bend yourself tends
not to be very free running.

Try cleaning them! :-)
I wipe mine down every year or so with Mr.Sheen and they glide beautifully
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , stuart noble
wrote:
The sort of rail made of plastic which you can bend yourself tends not
to be very free running.

Try cleaning them! :-) I wipe mine down every year or so with Mr.Sheen
and they glide beautifully

IMHO they usually crack where they're bent unless it's a curved bay. And
then the runners jam on the cracks.

--
*Procrastinate now

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , stuart noble
wrote:
The sort of rail made of plastic which you can bend yourself tends not
to be very free running.

Try cleaning them! :-) I wipe mine down every year or so with Mr.Sheen
and they glide beautifully

IMHO they usually crack where they're bent unless it's a curved bay. And
then the runners jam on the cracks.

Gotta be a gentle sweep round the 135 bends. The curtains stand off the
windows a bit there I suppose but I can't say it bothers me. I don't
like the rail showing when the curtains are closed but I suppose that's
just so last decade.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , stuart noble
wrote:
The sort of rail made of plastic which you can bend yourself tends
not to be very free running.

Try cleaning them! :-) I wipe mine down every year or so with
Mr.Sheen and they glide beautifully

IMHO they usually crack where they're bent unless it's a curved bay.
And then the runners jam on the cracks.

Gotta be a gentle sweep round the 135 bends. The curtains stand off the
windows a bit there I suppose but I can't say it bothers me.

That's what's so good about the custom bent steel stuff - the curtains
follow the widows pretty well. It's also corded which may make a
difference - especially if they're motorised. ;-)

I don't like the rail showing when the curtains are closed but I
suppose that's just so last decade.

Bamboo poles and rings definitely date. French pleats rule. ;-)

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Big Ron" wrote in message ...
Any one know of a supplier of rails and / or pelmets to fit under a bay
alcove with two approx 135 degree bends? What arrangements do all you bay
window dwellers have?

If you want a corded rail then these are the dog's b..s if you've got heavy
curtains. http://tinyurl.com/5gkotq

If your bay is very close to 1225 x 1225 x 1225 mm then it could be your
lucky day.
We ordered a Silent Gliss track for our bay and the suppliers managed to get
the dimensions out by 100mm and had to supply another to the correct size.
So I've got a brand new unused track hanging around, it wasn't worth their
while arranging shipping back to their factory.

Probably best if George doesn't follow the above link....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toby Sleigh" wrote in message

"Big Ron" wrote in message

Any one know of a supplier of rails and / or pelmets to fit under a bay
alcove with two approx 135 degree bends? What arrangements do all you

bay
window dwellers have?

If you want a corded rail then these are the dog's b..s if you've got

heavy
curtains. http://tinyurl.com/5gkotq

If your bay is very close to 1225 x 1225 x 1225 mm then it could be your
lucky day.
We ordered a Silent Gliss track for our bay and the suppliers managed to

get
the dimensions out by 100mm and had to supply another to the correct size.
So I've got a brand new unused track hanging around, it wasn't worth their
while arranging shipping back to their factory.

Probably best if George doesn't follow the above link....

Hahahaha hahaha hahaha
Well mines behind a pelmet so I'd be mad to pay more than £15 just for a rod
to hang the curtains.