Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl Offers FYI

Useful looking stuff from Lidl w/c 28/9/09

SCMS @ £69.99

LED worklight looks rather good at a tenner.

Taps & drills set £5.99

Steel rule could also be used as a saw/router guide £3.99

+ other stuff.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 23:20:20 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Useful looking stuff from Lidl w/c 28/9/09

On mine I also have:

Sliding Mitre Saw with Laser Guide.

Is there a difference between that and a 'Cut off / chop saw' and if
so what please?

"Sliding Mitre Saw with Laser Guide

1,700 watt
With laser cutting guide for accurate cuts
Mitre range: -45° to +45°
Max. cross cut length (mm): 205
Max. cutting depth (mm): 65
No load speed (rpm): 4,800
With adjustable clamps
Includes blade changing tool and universal saw blade, size Ø (cm): 21
Cable length (m): 2
3 year manufacturer's warranty
Price per item £69.99* (Only available while stocks last)"

Reading the description of the above it doesn't appear to mention what
material(s) it's designed / suitable for, other than the mention of
the 'universal saw blade. So does that mean it can cut anything
(within reason) or does any fool know that it's just for wood?

ie, Say I had several lengths of 50 x 50 x 5mm steel box I wanted to
cut ...

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Sliding Mitre Saw with Laser Guide.

Is there a difference between that and a 'Cut off / chop saw' and if
so what please?

It can be swivelled to do angled cuts - both in the vertical and
horizontal plane. And because the whole saw slides can cope with wider
wood.
I have a similar old B&Q one - but with a 10" blade which will cut 12"
wide. I'd not like anything smaller. Of course it depends on what you do.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:43:36 +0100, T i m wrote:
Reading the description of the above it doesn't appear to mention what
material(s) it's designed / suitable for, other than the mention of
the 'universal saw blade. So does that mean it can cut anything
(within reason) or does any fool know that it's just for wood?

Mine (bought in the US) was like that, too. I've used it to cut PVC pipe
as well as wood, and it did happily eat through a nail that I'd missed
when cutting some scrap wood for a temp. jig the other week, but the teeth
seem too coarse for me to expect it to work with metal - I had horrible
visions of it snagging the workpiece and launching it across the 'shop,
never mind any clamps...

65mm seems awfully low for cut depth, by the way. That's got to be a typo,
surely...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

Useful looking stuff from Lidl w/c 28/9/09

On mine I also have:

Sliding Mitre Saw with Laser Guide.

Also, as in, you have "SCMS @ £69.99"[1] as well? :-)

[1] Pasted from TMH's OP.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:44:58 -0500, Jules
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:43:36 +0100, T i m wrote:
Reading the description of the above it doesn't appear to mention what
material(s) it's designed / suitable for, other than the mention of
the 'universal saw blade. So does that mean it can cut anything
(within reason) or does any fool know that it's just for wood?

Mine (bought in the US) was like that, too. I've used it to cut PVC pipe
as well as wood, and it did happily eat through a nail that I'd missed
when cutting some scrap wood for a temp. jig the other week, but the teeth
seem too coarse for me to expect it to work with metal

And there's metal (like the odd nail or bit of flat) and there's METAL
(like several cuts through some large sections) of course.

- I had horrible
visions of it snagging the workpiece and launching it across the 'shop,
never mind any clamps...

It's amazing how far stuff can be autoflung. Yesterday I used a
hand-electric drill mounted polishing mop for the first time on a bit
of m/cycle pseudo-ally and you should have seen the polish stick fly!
;-)

65mm seems awfully low for cut depth, by the way. That's got to be a typo,
surely...

Erm, it looks like it only has a 210 dia blade so allowing for the rad
being 110 mm and then the mounting hub etc?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:43:36 +0100, T i m wrote:

Useful looking stuff from Lidl w/c 28/9/09

On mine I also have:

Sliding Mitre Saw with Laser Guide.

Looks like the variable Lidl offers strikes again, you have two mitre
saws available a SMS one and SCMS one?

Pretty sure the mitre saw up here (Carlisle) is not a compound one.
It's not described as such, just a SMS, and the picture doesn't look
to have the required dual axis of movement for a SCMS.

Is there a difference between that and a 'Cut off / chop saw' and if
so what please?

Yes, on a sliding saw the blade/motor unit slides front/back. This
enables longer cuts to be made. Without the slide action you have a
cutoff/chop saw and limited by the blade size in both depth and
lenght of cut.

other than the mention of the 'universal saw blade. So does that mean it
can cut anything (within reason) or does any fool know that it's just
for wood?

Soft stuff but not really metals.

ie, Say I had several lengths of 50 x 50 x 5mm steel box I wanted to
cut ...

Angle grinder, hack saw (powered).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Useful looking stuff from Lidl w/c 28/9/09

On mine I also have:

Sliding Mitre Saw with Laser Guide.

Also, as in, you have "SCMS @ £69.99"[1] as well? :-)

[1] Pasted from TMH's OP.

Ah, missed that ta.

The question still stands of is it the same (role) as a 'cut off saw'
though? ;-)

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:44:58 -0500, Jules wrote:

65mm seems awfully low for cut depth, by the way. That's got to be a
typo, surely...

Only a 210mm dia blade.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Useful looking stuff from Lidl w/c 28/9/09

On mine I also have:

Sliding Mitre Saw with Laser Guide.

That was SCMS (sliding compound mitre saw).

Is there a difference between that and a 'Cut off / chop saw' and if
so what please?

The cutting width & depth of a mitre (cut off/chop saw) is limited by the
blade size as they only cut downwards.

A sliding mitre saw has rails so the blade can move down & then
forwards/backwards. Assuming both have a 210mm dia blade the CMS would cut
160mm x 60mm wheras a SCMS would cut 200mm x 65mm.

SNIP

Reading the description of the above it doesn't appear to mention what
material(s) it's designed / suitable for, other than the mention of
the 'universal saw blade. So does that mean it can cut anything
(within reason) or does any fool know that it's just for wood?

I'd say just wood, although most TCT blades will handle alluminium OK.

ie, Say I had several lengths of 50 x 50 x 5mm steel box I wanted to
cut ...

You can buy SCMS which will do that
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/29848/...Mitre-Saw-230V

No idea how long the 'universal blade' would last or what they cost though -
get the feeling they may be expensive..

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 08:01:46 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:43:36 +0100, T i m wrote:

Useful looking stuff from Lidl w/c 28/9/09

On mine I also have:

Sliding Mitre Saw with Laser Guide.

Looks like the variable Lidl offers strikes again, you have two mitre
saws available a SMS one and SCMS one?

Erm, in case you can see this ..
http://preview.tinyurl.com/mnwntu

And it looks like one that I can see.

Pretty sure the mitre saw up here (Carlisle) is not a compound one.
It's not described as such, just a SMS, and the picture doesn't look
to have the required dual axis of movement for a SCMS.

Ok.

Is there a difference between that and a 'Cut off / chop saw' and if
so what please?

Yes, on a sliding saw the blade/motor unit slides front/back. This
enables longer cuts to be made. Without the slide action you have a
cutoff/chop saw and limited by the blade size in both depth and
lenght of cut.

Understood. So that doesn't determine what materials can be cut as
such? ie, both types of saws *could* be used to cut anything?

other than the mention of the 'universal saw blade. So does that mean it
can cut anything (within reason) or does any fool know that it's just
for wood?

Soft stuff but not really metals.

Ok.

ie, Say I had several lengths of 50 x 50 x 5mm steel box I wanted to
cut ...

Angle grinder, hack saw (powered).

Ironically I have a steel cutting horizontal band saw but it's
somewhat buried in the garage and I thought this trailer rebuild might
be a good opportunity to get some new toys. ;-)

Joking aside, a mate has the same saw as me but has said he's pretty
well replaced it with a chop saw as it's quicker and more flexible.
His one needs cutting fluid and the last time I used it round his
(seat sub frames on the kit car) we rigged up an old SU electric fuel
pump for the purpose. ;-)

I might go for one of the cheapo 14" abrasive disk types as as you
rightly say I could do the job with a cutting disk in the angle
grinder but I think the fixed bench type might just be a bit more
accurate (than doing it by hand with said). Also, as long as the
angles are reasonably symmetrical the finish doesn't matter as the
cuts are going to be welded anyway.

Another use for a crop saw would be cutting stock for use in the lathe
(currently hacksaw in the vise).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message

The question still stands of is it the same (role) as a 'cut off saw'
though? ;-)

It will do what a cut off saw will do and more. ,-)

Assuming the depth stop works, you can knock out lap joints and tenons with
ease.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 07:18:36 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

ie, Say I had several lengths of 50 x 50 x 5mm steel box I wanted to
cut ...

You can buy SCMS which will do that
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/29848/...Mitre-Saw-230V

Yeah, I saw that and similar items but that would be a bit too rich
for me right now. I did see a couple of DeWalt jobbies on eBay but
they were either 110V (I have a transformer but it would make it all
more awkward) or millions of miles away and 'collect only' or still
too new / expensive.

No idea how long the 'universal blade' would last or what they cost though -
get the feeling they may be expensive..

The abrasive disk type disks seem to be pretty cheap (but consumable,
£15 / 5). The metal - metal cutting blades seem quite expensive. I
guess if I was bothered about the finish of the cut I'd either get the
metal blade version or drag the bandsaw out for general cropping of
steel stock (angle / bar / box etc). I think one of the 14" bench
abrasive crop saws would be more accurate than the gas axe, easier
than doing it by hand and more portable (take to tool to the job etc)
than the big horizontal band saw I've already got.

Ooh, and I like pretty sparks. ;-)

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:26:07 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

The question still stands of is it the same (role) as a 'cut off saw'
though? ;-)

It will do what a cut off saw will do and more. ,-)

Assuming the depth stop works, you can knock out lap joints and tenons with
ease.

Ah, but *generally* more associated with carpentry than metalwork?

I basically want to have something that I can use in the garden or
workshop (so reasonably portable) for cutting up lengths of metal.
It's also going to be fairly infrequently (just when a project comes
up) when I am using it I can take my time with a d-i-y level tool.

But then you never know what 'other' uses these things will get used
for. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I basically want to have something that I can use in the garden or
workshop (so reasonably portable) for cutting up lengths of metal.

An angle grinder in a stand with the correct disc does a decent job of
this. Much cheaper than a saw. I got a stand in Lidl some time ago for
very little quids. But it only takes a 4" grinder. I'd like one for the 9"
one.

It's also going to be fairly infrequently (just when a project comes
up) when I am using it I can take my time with a d-i-y level tool.

You can get circular saws said to cut steel - seen them advertised in car
mags. But how special that blade is and whether it can be fitted to other
saws I dunno.

--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:26:07 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
. ..

The question still stands of is it the same (role) as a 'cut off saw'
though? ;-)

It will do what a cut off saw will do and more. ,-)

Assuming the depth stop works, you can knock out lap joints and tenons
with
ease.

Ah, but *generally* more associated with carpentry than metalwork?

A good tungsten blade will cut metal easy enough, its what happens to the
swarf and the heat that kills stuff.
If its got plastic guards they will last a few minutes if you are lucky.
I wouldn't buy one to cut up lots of metal a few nails and screws in wood
wouldn't worry me.

At least it looks small and compact.
I made the mistake of buying a 12" bladed one from a B&Q clearance and it is
huge.
I seldom need to cut anything as big as it goes and I think I could have
made better use of a smaller one.
At least it didn't cost much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:22:20 +0100, T i m wrote:

On mine I also have:

TMH said "SCMS @ £69.99"

You say "also have" so implies you have SCMS *and* SMS available.

Erm, in case you can see this ..
http://preview.tinyurl.com/mnwntu

Looks the same as the Carlisle one, just a SMS.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:43:36 +0100, T i m wrote:

Useful looking stuff from Lidl w/c 28/9/09

On mine I also have:

Sliding Mitre Saw with Laser Guide.

Looks like the variable Lidl offers strikes again, you have two mitre
saws available a SMS one and SCMS one?

Pretty sure the mitre saw up here (Carlisle) is not a compound one.
It's not described as such, just a SMS, and the picture doesn't look
to have the required dual axis of movement for a SCMS.

Well, the one which will be available at my local branch (Warwick) doesn't
*claim* to be a compound mitre saw - and there's no mention of bevel angles.
*However*, looking at the picture, it looks very similar to a Rexon compound
mitre saw which Screwfix are selling for £170. In particular, it looks as if
it just *might* tilt about an axis just below the sliders, in line with the
blade slot.

Would anyone else care to compare Lidl's picture with
http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa... UO02700DENHGV
and see whether you agree?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:24:12 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:22:20 +0100, T i m wrote:

On mine I also have:

TMH said "SCMS @ £69.99"

You say "also have" so implies you have SCMS *and* SMS available.

I said that before I realised that TMH had also (possibly) mentioned
the same thing.

Erm, in case you can see this ..
http://preview.tinyurl.com/mnwntu

Looks the same as the Carlisle one, just a SMS.

Ok, and not suitable for me in any case it appears. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You can get circular saws said to cut steel - seen them advertised in car
mags. But how special that blade is and whether it can be fitted to other
saws I dunno.

Things like http://www.screwfix.com/prods/62933/...Mitre-Saw-110V

No idea what they are like...think I've seen them in B&Q as well.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:50:27 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I basically want to have something that I can use in the garden or
workshop (so reasonably portable) for cutting up lengths of metal.

An angle grinder in a stand with the correct disc does a decent job of
this. Much cheaper than a saw. I got a stand in Lidl some time ago for
very little quids. But it only takes a 4" grinder. I'd like one for the 9"
one.

Along those very lines I bought one of these earlier:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/m8rtds

A big angle grinder in a stand. ;-)

I'll have to say it actually feels pretty solid / substantial. What
it's like to use I'll let you know soon. ;-)

It's also going to be fairly infrequently (just when a project comes
up) when I am using it I can take my time with a d-i-y level tool.

You can get circular saws said to cut steel - seen them advertised in car
mags. But how special that blade is and whether it can be fitted to other
saws I dunno.

I think it's quite special and therefore quite expensive (compared
with alternatives etc).

The ones you see in steel stockist's run quite slowly and I have seen
used with soluble oil (when it was cutting something substantial).

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I can't resist :-)

Useful looking stuff from Lidl _w/c_ 28/9/09

Why would I buy anything from a water closet? :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message

The question still stands of is it the same (role) as a 'cut off saw'
though? ;-)

It will do what a cut off saw will do and more. ,-)

Assuming the depth stop works, you can knock out lap joints and
tenons with ease.

Didn't spot a depth stop on that Lidl one - where is it?

Might be tempted if it has one, for the uses you mention.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:43:36 +0100, T i m wrote:

Useful looking stuff from Lidl w/c 28/9/09

On mine I also have:

Sliding Mitre Saw with Laser Guide.

Looks like the variable Lidl offers strikes again, you have two mitre
saws available a SMS one and SCMS one?

Pretty sure the mitre saw up here (Carlisle) is not a compound one.
It's not described as such, just a SMS, and the picture doesn't look
to have the required dual axis of movement for a SCMS.

My mistake (or my bad if I were cool). AFAICS its a SMS.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I can't resist :-)

Useful looking stuff from Lidl _w/c_ 28/9/09

Why would I buy anything from a water closet? :-)

Because its at a rock 'bottom' price?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I can't resist :-)

Useful looking stuff from Lidl _w/c_ 28/9/09

Why would I buy anything from a water closet? :-)

Because its at a rock 'bottom' price?

RAOTFL

Good one Dave.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote :
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:44:58 -0500, Jules wrote:

65mm seems awfully low for cut depth, by the way. That's got to be a
typo, surely...

Only a 210mm dia blade.

Most do seem to have a 210mm blade.

What about this one at Argos, it seems to offer a much longer width of
cut?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...+MITRE+SAW.htm

Same price as Lidl. I think I could do with one for this weekends
operation, so I can't wait for Mr Lidl.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 08:05:06 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:44:58 -0500, Jules wrote:

65mm seems awfully low for cut depth, by the way. That's got to be a
typo, surely...

Only a 210mm dia blade.

Aha, that's probably most of the reason - my cheapy one's a 10" blade
which is what, 254mm. It'll handle a 4" (102mm) cut though, just - so
there's only about 54mm of dead space where the spindle is, rather than
the whopping 80mm that this saw seems to have...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

What about this one at Argos, it seems to offer a much longer width of
cut?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...+MITRE+SAW.htm

Same price as Lidl. I think I could do with one for this weekends
operation, so I can't wait for Mr Lidl.

Looks like a better spec too, in that it's *definitely* a compound mitre and
not just a mitre. OK, it's 1500 watts instead of 1700 - but that should be
adequate.

If you want one for the weekend, use the on-line stock checker, and reserve
one if it's in stock. Only one Argos branch anywhere near me has any stock -
and they've only got one. I've reserved it, but I'm a bit worried that it'll
be one which all the world and his dog have previously bought, and returned.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 18:40:08 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

65mm seems awfully low for cut depth, by the way. That's got to

be a
typo, surely...

Only a 210mm dia blade.

Most do seem to have a 210mm blade.

What about this one at Argos, it seems to offer a much longer width of
cut?

width != depth

That Argos one still only has a maximum 65mm depth of cut. It does
have a marginally longer slide (width of cut) though 310 v 205mm.

Looking at the two pictures the Lidl jobbie has a boss that is where
one would expect the 2nd axis of rotation to be for a CMS, so maybe
it is SCMS?

I think it's this
one:

http://www.einhell.com/englisch/engl...onaerewerkzeug
e&lang=en

Which does have 2nd pivot but only 45 deg in one direction not both.
I suspect that makes it even more mind mangling to use for compound
mitres.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Roger Mills formulated :
Looks like a better spec too, in that it's *definitely* a compound mitre and
not just a mitre. OK, it's 1500 watts instead of 1700 - but that should be
adequate.

It doesn't actually say compound mitre, are you sure?

They do have one described as a compound mitre at £39.99, but its
length of cut is only 120mm. The job I have in mind for it needs the
full 300mm.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice explained :
[...]

The link didn't work, but it seems to be a Sliding Mitre Saw BT-SM 2050

The product manuals are at -

http://www.isc-gmbh.info/index.php?P...n=chang eport

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It happens that Roger Mills formulated :
Looks like a better spec too, in that it's *definitely* a compound
mitre and not just a mitre. OK, it's 1500 watts instead of 1700 -
but that should be adequate.

It doesn't actually say compound mitre, are you sure?

Well, if my understanding of "compound" in this context is correct, yes.

You can cut compound bevels - which are at an angle to the axes of the wood
in two different planes. Firstly, you can rotate the cutting assembly
through +/- 45 degrees in plan view - which *all* mitre saws can do. *Then*
you can tilt the blade about a horizontal axis. [The text calls one of these
"miter" (sic) and the other "bevel" - and defines the max cutting capacity
for various combinations of these].
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:44:22 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:
You can cut compound bevels - which are at an angle to the axes of the wood
in two different planes. Firstly, you can rotate the cutting assembly
through +/- 45 degrees in plan view - which *all* mitre saws can do. *Then*
you can tilt the blade about a horizontal axis. [The text calls one of these
"miter" (sic) and the other "bevel" - and defines the max cutting capacity
for various combinations of these].

That's one downside with mine - I can only tilt the blade between 0
and +45 degrees, not -45 to +45 degrees (it'll still do +/-45 in 'plan'
view, of course). Every once in a while it's a bit of a minor
inconvenience (I've got enough bench to handle about 8' either side of the
saw, but of course it doesn't mean it's not bench that's often cluttered
with crap on one side :-)

Maybe they're always like that though - but if not it's a little niggle
I'd try to avoid next time I go to purchase one.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:

[...]

Dunno - haven't studied them in great detail. Presumably the blade tilts in
a way which raises the motor? The thought occurred to me that if the motor
tilted downwards, it might foul on the workpiece.

As you say, you can achieve the desired effect by turning the workpiece
round, but that might not always be convenient. Anyone know whether there
are any saws out there which *do* tilt both ways?

Having said all that, I can't think of too many occasions when I'd want both
tilt and turn at the same time. Nevertheless, the tilt function on its own
would be needed for cutting mitres on skirting board etc. - and it would be
useful if the saw could be tilted both ways.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

Having said all that, I can't think of too many occasions when I'd want
both tilt and turn at the same time. Nevertheless, the tilt function on
its own would be needed for cutting mitres on skirting board etc. - and it
would be useful if the saw could be tilted both ways.

Don't you just turn the board over?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

Having said all that, I can't think of too many occasions when I'd
want both tilt and turn at the same time. Nevertheless, the tilt
function on its own would be needed for cutting mitres on skirting
board etc. - and it would be useful if the saw could be tilted both
ways.

Don't you just turn the board over?

Could do - but you then have to measure where the mitre needs to come to on
the opposite face of the material. Slightly inconvenient, but do-able.

--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

Don't you just turn the board over?

Could do - but you then have to measure where the mitre needs to come to
on the opposite face of the material. Slightly inconvenient, but do-able.

I usually use a stop at the other end, then you can cut either side and end
up correct.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:09:09 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:
Dunno - haven't studied them in great detail. Presumably the blade tilts in
a way which raises the motor? The thought occurred to me that if the motor
tilted downwards, it might foul on the workpiece.

Yes, it would for longer pieces - I usually find I'm doing angled cuts
right at the end of a piece, though (hence wasting as little material as
possible), so I'm not sure that the motor would foul there (I'll have
to take a look later - maybe there still wouldn't be much scope for tilt
without fouling the saw bed)

Having said all that, I can't think of too many occasions when I'd want
both tilt and turn at the same time.

No, I haven't found many, and of course for tilts in a single direction
it's much more convenient to just pivot the saw around the vertical axis.

Nevertheless, the tilt function on
its own would be needed for cutting mitres on skirting board etc. - and
it would be useful if the saw could be tilted both ways.

Even something restricted in one direction, like -30 .. +45 or whatnot,
would be more useful than 0 .. +45.

Some of the more expensive ones might do that, actually, because ISTR
there are ones around where the motor isn't on the saw arm, and presumably
there's a belt or shaft drive up to the blade.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills was thinking very hard :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It happens that Roger Mills formulated :
Looks like a better spec too, in that it's *definitely* a compound
mitre and not just a mitre. OK, it's 1500 watts instead of 1700 -
but that should be adequate.

It doesn't actually say compound mitre, are you sure?

Well, if my understanding of "compound" in this context is correct, yes.

You can cut compound bevels - which are at an angle to the axes of the wood
in two different planes. Firstly, you can rotate the cutting assembly through
+/- 45 degrees in plan view - which *all* mitre saws can do. *Then* you can
tilt the blade about a horizontal axis. [The text calls one of these "miter"
(sic) and the other "bevel" - and defines the max cutting capacity for
various combinations of these].

I collected one this afternoon, after a bit of collection fiasco.

It is definitely a compound mitre, you can use either or both angles in
the same cut. The bevel only does 0 to 45 to the left. Not actually
tried it yet, but seems well built - no detectable play or give at all
and very rigid. Surprisingly, much more rigid than my cheapo mitre chop
saw - even at full out extension. The laser guide is also separately
switched on and off to the blade motor.