Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default shower tray; alternative to silicon bead

We have an open ended walk in shower with wet wall on two sides and a
glass screen.
The tray is sealed using silicon but within 9 months mould appears and
I have to remove the screen, clean out the old sealant and replace the
silicon.
I bought the most expensive Unibond anti-mould with 35 year guarantee
(???) but the mould returns.
We have a fan/light directly over the shower with long overrun and I
open the window when possible.
I think the problem is standing water at the edge of the shower
(despite my best efforts; teenage daughters!)
Is there an alternative to silicon? I have in mind a qaudrant sealing
strip which could be abrasively cleaned and would shed water? Maybe
bedded onto silicon?
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 20, 2:34*am, skiffer wrote:
We have an open ended walk in shower with wet wall on two sides and a
glass screen.
The tray is sealed using silicon but within 9 months mould appears and
I have to remove the screen, clean out the old sealant and replace the
silicon.
I bought the most expensive Unibond anti-mould with 35 year guarantee
(???) but the mould returns.
We have a fan/light directly over the shower with long overrun and I
open the window when possible.
I think the problem is standing water at the edge of the shower
(despite my best efforts; teenage daughters!)
Is there an alternative to silicon? I have in mind a qaudrant sealing
strip which could be abrasively cleaned and would shed water? Maybe
bedded onto silicon?
Thanks

Maybe somthing like this would help: http://www.byretech.com/acatalog/sho...al-diagram.jpg

As a Hygenic wall cladding fitter I am always looking out for ways to
seal shower trays properly. Water will get get anywhere
and will cause real problems in the long run, its never to late to
call in some help

Good luck with the problem

http://www.whereonearthgroup.com/sub...ers-wanted.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y

skiffer wrote:
.... snipped
Is there an alternative to silicon? I have in mind a qaudrant sealing
strip which could be abrasively cleaned and would shed water? Maybe
bedded onto silicon?
Thanks

I did exactly that. I filled the gap between the tray and the wall with
silicone, then cut some ceramic look-alike plastic quadrant extrusion to
be an accurate fit around the tray/wall joint, then put a VERY large
bead of silicone on the joint and pressed the extrusion into the bead
until it made contact with the wall and tray, then removed the large
amount of excess 'cone.
It's been several years now and looks almost "as new". I think the
quadrant came from Tiles'r'us.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote:
skiffer wrote:
... snipped
Is there an alternative to silicon? I have in mind a qaudrant sealing
strip which could be abrasively cleaned and would shed water? Maybe
bedded onto silicon?
Thanks

I did exactly that. I filled the gap between the tray and the wall with
silicone, then cut some ceramic look-alike plastic quadrant extrusion to
be an accurate fit around the tray/wall joint, then put a VERY large
bead of silicone on the joint and pressed the extrusion into the bead
until it made contact with the wall and tray, then removed the large
amount of excess 'cone.
It's been several years now and looks almost "as new". I think the
quadrant came from Tiles'r'us.

I love the effectiveness of silicone, but hate the appearance.

I bead the shower tray/bath/basin etc to the wall, and tile OVER it, and
finish with a groutline.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 02:34:18 -0700 (PDT), skiffer wrote:

The tray is sealed using silicon but within 9 months mould appears and
I have to remove the screen, clean out the old sealant and replace the
silicon.

How often to you clean and wash down the shower cubicle? What colour
is the mould?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Shower room / shower tray refurb Adrian UK diy 12 January 25th 09 10:45 PM
Silicon bead tools mark UK diy 29 January 18th 09 01:27 PM
Shower tray / shower trap Adrian UK diy 12 October 8th 08 09:55 AM
Teeth whitening tray alternative actaeonreich Home Repair 0 March 16th 07 10:40 PM
Rusty corner bead next to shower....... Norminn Home Repair 0 July 14th 05 11:20 PM