Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower tray / shower trap

HI Folks

Finally traced the source of the nasty 'sewage' smell in our
ground-floor shower room.

It's got one of those nasty 'wet-room' type showers - a 6" tiled upstand
across the width of the room and a 'not-slopey-enough' tiled area with
a shower trap set in the floor.

The water trap is ever so shallow (accessed by removing the grille over
the trap) and, as the shower isn't used all that frequently, and the
water evaporates, the nasty smells from the drain outside find their way
up the waste pipe and into the room. Problem solved at the moment by
stuffing a cork into the drain-pipe - but that's a bit inconvenient
(apparently)

So - what to do about it ?

I've not fitted a shower tray for a while - don;t know what the current
'traps' look like. Thinking of planting a complete new tray on top of
the 6" upstand to allow a proper trap to be fitted under the tray and
pipe it though a new hole to the drain outside.

Any other possibilities or suggestions please ?

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Adrian wrote:
[...]

I would consider a HepVO trap. It seals without water being present.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
[...]

I have this n occasion. The rather shallow trap gets sucked dry by any
drain activity nearby. An air admittance valve somewhere should help, or
simply tipping a cup of water down the trap every day.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

Sounds interesting. Do you have a link Rod?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds interesting. Do you have a link Rod?

Pray, what is a link rod? same as a drain rod?? lol
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Sounds interesting. Do you have a link Rod?

Pray, what is a link rod? same as a drain rod?? lol

Technical term used only in Kent & Nottingham...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Rod wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/hepvo-pl...waste-442-0000

HTH
HAND
etc etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Rod

Rod wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that - never heard of these things before - looks like just
the thing.... (having googled)

(Only trouble is, there's now a ton of firewood stacked against the
outside wall where the shower drain exits..... and this would be the
ideal place to fit such a valve as a 'quick fix' - bother !!)

Any idea what the length of these units is ? Couldn't seem to find
a dimensioned drawing on the web...

Thanks
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI NT

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

Yes - I guess it might.

Don't know who installed the drainage in this place - but they had one
or two quite 'original' ideas...

The top end of the 4" soil pipe was left open, and vented into the
roofspace of the upstairs bathroom. After a bit of fiddling, there's now
an air-admittance valve on there. That cured some / most of the nasty
smells. When the wind was in a certain direction the draught from the
eaves vents was distributing the smell from the open vent pipe
throughout the house. Nice !

The 'trap' on this shower tray can't be much more than 1/2" of water -
spread over a 3" diameter. Again - when the wind's right (!) the
air-flow through the waste pipe draws foul air in from the outside drain
- which isn't nice. All ground-floor waste pipes simply stop above their
respective drains, without any elbows. Possibly adding elbows to the end
of the waste pipes might help to prevent the air-flow ..?

Don't you love 'finishing off' for builders & plumbers !??

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Adrian wrote:
HI Rod

Rod wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

Hepworth's own site certainly used to have an excellent document with
fully dimensioned drawings. But I can't find it! (Had neat drawings
showing each way in which the HepVO is superior to a conventional trap.
One was that that the trap could never dry out - by suction,
evaporation, whatever.)

Ahaaa!! Try this link - think you can get it here - have not checked
what each document is but I am sure one be have what you need.

http://www.hepstore.co.uk/default.aspx?sectionID=54&subSectionID=7023

We have three in the house. And I am considering another one...

One because it was easier and avoided problems with clearance, etc. Two
because when fitting basins into units, the ability to have a
horizontal, hidden trap or one that fits very neatly is a huge advantage.

I also used some of Hepworth's flexible waste pipe with solvent weld
ends - which was really nice to use.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Rod

Rod wrote:
Adrian wrote:
HI Rod

Rod wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

Thanks - what a confusing website !
Nearest thing I could find to a dimensioned sketch of the HepVO was this
photo http://www.hepstore.co.uk/asset.aspx...&searchID=8592 - which
gives an idea of the actual size.

Problem I can see is fitting this on the 'outside end' of the waste pipe
(- I know it's an odd place to fit it but the inside section of the pipe
is embedded in concrete under the cast-in shower area). The thing is so
long that it's need some fancy right-angle bends to direct the waste
water back into the gully trap...

Maybe I'll try fitting a 90-degree bend on the end of the waste pipe -
so's the wind can't blow up the pipe so easily....? (again - this means
moving a quantity of firewood that I so carefully stacked over the
drain, only last week ! Doh!!!)

Sounds like a great invention - must file away for future reference!

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Adrian wrote:
HI Rod

Rod wrote:
Adrian wrote:
HI Rod

Rod wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

Seems you can identify documents for download, then (if you are lucky)
use the "DOWNLOAD FOLDER" to download them all in one go. Not very nice
in reality. Find the document MMHPG.pdf and download that - page 5.
(Seeing I have been successful, I can email if you wish. Drop me an
email if you want.)

Do bear in mind, the HepVO trap can be fitted elsewhere than immediately
below the shower tray.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Rod

Rod wrote:
Adrian wrote:
HI Rod

Rod wrote:
Adrian wrote:
HI Rod

Rod wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

nice idea... in theory !

Not very nice
in reality.

True

Find the document MMHPG.pdf and download that - page 5.
(Seeing I have been successful, I can email if you wish. Drop me an
email if you want.)

If you wouldn't mind, that'd be great - will
reach me

Do bear in mind, the HepVO trap can be fitted elsewhere than immediately
below the shower tray.

Yes - that's what I was banking on.
Might do for a short-term solution until I can rip the rotten thing out
and do it again, properly! Having said that, might use a HepVO on the MK
II version - looks like a great idea - many thanks

Adrian

shower tray gap kent UK diy 6 September 29th 07 06:51 PM
Shower trap [email protected] UK diy 3 June 6th 06 11:24 PM
Shower tray to fit wounded horse UK diy 3 January 24th 05 11:01 PM
Shower Trap Rob UK diy 4 January 11th 05 08:48 AM
shower tray andyd UK diy 0 August 18th 04 09:53 AM