Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Silicon bead tools

Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey for what
they are.
Are they worth it?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:

Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey for what
they are.
Are they worth it?

Certainly. I did a bath before Christmas, I was going to fit some
sealing strips, but thought I'd tried a silicone bead first, used the
Fugenboy, and it came out excellent, so saved myself £20 on bath strips.
They are now £8 at Screwfix reduced from £10.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:

Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey for what
they are.
Are they worth it?

Fugenboys?
Oh yes!

Google the archives for more.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey
for what they are.
Are they worth it?

Fugenboy or similar? Without any doubt. Worth several times the asking
price.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
mark wrote:
Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey
for what they are.
Are they worth it?

Fugenboy or similar? Without any doubt. Worth several times the asking
price.

Just out of interest - what happens to the excess silicon with these tools?
Does it go all over the place as you run the tool along, or is it collected
nicely to be wiped off the tool?

I am pretty good with almost everything DIY, but applying silicon is
something that is simply beyond me (lack of practice I suppose).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey
for what they are.
Are they worth it?

Fugenboy or similar? Without any doubt. Worth several times the
asking price.

Just out of interest - what happens to the excess silicon with these
tools? Does it go all over the place as you run the tool along, or is
it collected nicely to be wiped off the tool?

Collects on the face of the tool, to be wiped off on kitchen roll or
similar.

I am pretty good with almost everything DIY, but applying silicon is
something that is simply beyond me (lack of practice I suppose).

10 mins with a Fugenboy, you will be a master. You simply wouldn't believe
how well they work.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
Certainly. I did a bath before Christmas, I was going to fit some
sealing strips, but thought I'd tried a silicone bead first, used the
Fugenboy, and it came out excellent, so saved myself £20 on bath strips.
They are now £8 at Screwfix reduced from £10.

Crikey - I paid about 15 quid less than a year ago. And thought them worth
every penny.

--
*The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in school was my blood alcohol content*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

et...

mark wrote:
Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey
for what they are.
Are they worth it?

Fugenboy or similar? Without any doubt. Worth several times the asking
price.

Just out of interest - what happens to the excess silicon with these
tools? Does it go all over the place as you run the tool along, or is it
collected nicely to be wiped off the tool?

I am pretty good with almost everything DIY, but applying silicon is
something that is simply beyond me (lack of practice I suppose).

But oh so much easier than putty: dreadful stuff which I simply cannot do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey
for what they are.
Are they worth it?

Fugenboy or similar? Without any doubt. Worth several times the
asking price.

Just out of interest - what happens to the excess silicon with these
tools? Does it go all over the place as you run the tool along, or is
it collected nicely to be wiped off the tool?

Collects on the face of the tool, to be wiped off on kitchen roll or
similar.

I am pretty good with almost everything DIY, but applying silicon is
something that is simply beyond me (lack of practice I suppose).

10 mins with a Fugenboy, you will be a master. You simply wouldn't
believe how well they work.

Scuse my ignorance, aren't these simply bits of shaped plastic?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey
for what they are.
Are they worth it?

Fugenboy or similar? Without any doubt. Worth several times the
asking price.

Just out of interest - what happens to the excess silicon with these
tools? Does it go all over the place as you run the tool along, or is
it collected nicely to be wiped off the tool?

Collects on the face of the tool, to be wiped off on kitchen roll or
similar.

I am pretty good with almost everything DIY, but applying silicon is
something that is simply beyond me (lack of practice I suppose).

10 mins with a Fugenboy, you will be a master. You simply wouldn't
believe how well they work.

Scuse my ignorance, aren't these simply bits of shaped plastic?

Yep.

My question is what happens if the 2 sides being "shaped" with the device
are not at 90 deg?
Does the mastic slide past the edge of the tool ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey
for what they are.
Are they worth it?

Fugenboy or similar? Without any doubt. Worth several times the
asking price.

Just out of interest - what happens to the excess silicon with these
tools? Does it go all over the place as you run the tool along, or is
it collected nicely to be wiped off the tool?

Collects on the face of the tool, to be wiped off on kitchen roll or
similar.

I am pretty good with almost everything DIY, but applying silicon is
something that is simply beyond me (lack of practice I suppose).

10 mins with a Fugenboy, you will be a master. You simply wouldn't
believe how well they work.

Scuse my ignorance, aren't these simply bits of shaped plastic?

Until now I've always used the end of various kitchen wooden spoons etc, or
more recently, pieces of plastic ch pipe (which if, off a roll, have a handy
curve). Looking at the pictures of the Fugenboy, I can see there might be
advantages of using the flat bits of plastic as this ought to help scrape
the excess off the walls etc. Might not glide as easily as my spoons
though...

Incidentally, has anyone worked out how to get sealer down the inside of a
roughened window pane (our bathroom windows have a sort of granular faceted
surface which picks up all the dirt) to reduce condensation penetration?
Making the seal is one thing: cleaning the excess off the glass afterwards,
quite another! Luckily I chose to use transparent sealer this time!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey for what
they are.
Are they worth it?

Yes. Absolutely, don't even think of not buying one, you will never look
back.

The Fugi ones are my preferred set:

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/sealant-1847-0000

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey
for what they are.
Are they worth it?
Fugenboy or similar? Without any doubt. Worth several times the
asking price.
Just out of interest - what happens to the excess silicon with these
tools? Does it go all over the place as you run the tool along, or is
it collected nicely to be wiped off the tool?

Collects on the face of the tool, to be wiped off on kitchen roll or
similar.
I am pretty good with almost everything DIY, but applying silicon is
something that is simply beyond me (lack of practice I suppose).

10 mins with a Fugenboy, you will be a master. You simply wouldn't
believe how well they work.

Scuse my ignorance, aren't these simply bits of shaped plastic?

Of sorts, yes. They are made from a slightly elastic material that wipes
clean of most sealants, and they have a nicely shaped and feathered
edge. They work so well because they wipe the adjacent surfaces so
cleanly that you don't get thin wisps of sealant left all over the
place. The material is hard enough to wear well, but flexible to act a
little like a squeegy.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
Of sorts, yes. They are made from a slightly elastic material that wipes

clean of most sealants, and they have a nicely shaped and feathered edge.
They work so well because they wipe the adjacent surfaces so cleanly that
you don't get thin wisps of sealant left all over the place. The material
is hard enough to wear well, but flexible to act a little like a squeegy.

What about behind taps and other 'obstructions'? Are these areas 'blended
in' with a wet finger?

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:
My question is what happens if the 2 sides being "shaped" with the device
are not at 90 deg?
Does the mastic slide past the edge of the tool ?

If the corner is 90 then you can you tip the tool so that it presents
the required angle. Obviously greater than 90 would require two passes -
the first using slightly larger bead size than the second.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
Of sorts, yes. They are made from a slightly elastic material that wipes

clean of most sealants, and they have a nicely shaped and feathered edge.
They work so well because they wipe the adjacent surfaces so cleanly that
you don't get thin wisps of sealant left all over the place. The material
is hard enough to wear well, but flexible to act a little like a squeegy.

What about behind taps and other 'obstructions'? Are these areas 'blended
in' with a wet finger?

Its worth buying the set of tools with a narrow version included for
this purpose. In extreme cases you may have to manufacture a tool from a
bit of ice cream tub.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
[...]

Place masking tape down the glass first. If you need to clean wet
silicone off a surface then use a can of IPA (available from CPC in
aerosol form).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
Certainly. I did a bath before Christmas, I was going to fit some
sealing strips, but thought I'd tried a silicone bead first, used the
Fugenboy, and it came out excellent, so saved myself £20 on bath strips.
They are now £8 at Screwfix reduced from £10.

Crikey - I paid about 15 quid less than a year ago. And thought them worth
every penny.

£7.82 at Screwfix this afternoon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Jan, 19:29, "mark" wrote:
Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey for what
they are.
Are they worth it?

Fugenboy is, even for a tenner. Don't know what it's made of, but it
does just work better,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brass Monkey wrote:
10 mins with a Fugenboy, you will be a master. You simply wouldn't
believe how well they work.

Scuse my ignorance, aren't these simply bits of shaped plastic?

Not really - they're a strange soft plastic almost like hard rubber and
much thicker than a filling knife or whatever - and have a chamfer to one
side.

--
*We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bruce
writes
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
Certainly. I did a bath before Christmas, I was going to fit some
sealing strips, but thought I'd tried a silicone bead first, used the
Fugenboy, and it came out excellent, so saved myself £20 on bath strips.
They are now £8 at Screwfix reduced from £10.

Crikey - I paid about 15 quid less than a year ago. And thought them worth
every penny.

£7.82 at Screwfix this afternoon.

I just bought a set today too, Screwfix. Worked out a lot better than
my finger would have. The only grief I had was with the grout between
the tiles. A tiled wall above a work surface, as I went past each line
of grout a bit of silicon was forced up there, seems to peel off again
when partially set though.
Now looking forward to re-doing the seal around the edge of the bath!
Sad the things DIYers look forward to doing eh?

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey
for what they are.
Are they worth it?

Fugenboy or similar? Without any doubt. Worth several times the asking
price.

Look at:
http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/info_silicone.html

Also, the Karl Dahmn is is supposed to be the best.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey
for what they are.
Are they worth it?

Fugenboy or similar? Without any doubt. Worth several times the asking
price.

Look at:
http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/info_silicone.html

Also, the Karl Dahmn is is supposed to be the best.

http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modul...ode=kdsilicone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
Bruce writes

£7.82 at Screwfix this afternoon.

I just bought a set today too, Screwfix. Worked out a lot better than
my finger would have. The only grief I had was with the grout between
the tiles. A tiled wall above a work surface, as I went past each line
of grout a bit of silicon was forced up there, seems to peel off again
when partially set though.
Now looking forward to re-doing the seal around the edge of the bath!
Sad the things DIYers look forward to doing eh?

Same here, I'm afraid. I made what I thought was a reasonable job of
the seal around the bath. Now I look at the superb job the Fugenboy did
last night behind the washbasin, and I know my partner will expect me to
re-do the bath to the same standard, ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

Also, the Karl Dahmn is is supposed to be the best.

http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modul...ode=kdsilicone

£10 is cheap enough, but £7.95 for delivery?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

Also, the Karl Dahmn is is supposed to be the best.

http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modul...ode=kdsilicone

£10 is cheap enough, but £7.95 for delivery?

They are available in other places. The inferior Fugenboy was £15 not long
ago. This is the best.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

Also, the Karl Dahmn is is supposed to be the best.

http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modul...ode=kdsilicone

£10 is cheap enough, but £7.95 for delivery?

They are available in other places. The inferior Fugenboy was £15 not long
ago. This is the best.

I am not commenting on the quality of the item, just the ridiculous
charge for delivery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

Also, the Karl Dahmn is is supposed to be the best.

http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modul...ode=kdsilicone

£10 is cheap enough, but £7.95 for delivery?

They are available in other places. The inferior Fugenboy was £15 not
long ago. This is the best.

Yet something else you 'know' by just reading an advert, given your
history.

--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

Also, the Karl Dahmn is is supposed to be the best.

http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modul...ode=kdsilicone

£10 is cheap enough, but £7.95 for delivery?

They are available in other places. The inferior Fugenboy was £15 not
long ago. This is the best.

Yet

Please eff off as you are a total idiotic plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Those little plastic silicon bead finishing tools seem to be pricey
for what they are.
Are they worth it?

Video here http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/fugi-app...iece-172-13240

They really do work as shown on the video.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
silicon instead of pva? tracy UK diy 14 January 8th 07 05:59 AM
Boy am I angry. Can I silicon over 2 hour old silicon? Haymish Pupkin UK diy 18 July 15th 06 12:33 PM
silicon Bruce UK diy 3 November 12th 04 10:24 PM
silicon in2minds UK diy 9 October 6th 03 12:18 AM