Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boy am I angry. Can I silicon over 2 hour old silicon?

Started to seal my shower tray.You would not believe how long I have taken
to prepare this job, really cleaned up the shower well. Checked everything
before I started, loads of silicon in the gun etc.

Then I run out half way through the job. Checked the side indicater and the
plunger is 2-3inches from the end of the tube but there's no more silicon
coming out, no blockage either - thanks a bunch Wilkinsons. Must have a
really long plunger in there.

It'll take me 2 hours to get back with a new tube of the same stuff. Can I
silicone over what's already there or am I going to have to remove all the
silicone I just put on?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Haymish Pupkin" wrote in message...
Can I silicone over what's already there or am I going to have to remove
all the silicone I just put on?

Double check the instructions on the tube, but I'm sure as long as the stuff
has set you can just put another layer on top, or join the two lengths
together from where you left off.

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"Haymish Pupkin" wrote in message...
Can I silicone over what's already there or am I going to have to
remove all the silicone I just put on?

Double check the instructions on the tube, but I'm sure as long as
the stuff has set you can just put another layer on top, or join the
two lengths together from where you left off.

Thanks Dark Angel

Doesn't say a thing about applying more than one coat / butting up to where
you left off.

It's been about 2 hours now and it's cured on top and seems fairly solid, do
you think I should let it set overnight before I apply another coat or
plough on?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Haymish Pupkin wrote:
wrote:
"Haymish Pupkin" wrote in message...
Can I silicone over what's already there or am I going to have to
remove all the silicone I just put on?

Double check the instructions on the tube, but I'm sure as long as
the stuff has set you can just put another layer on top, or join the
two lengths together from where you left off.

Thanks Dark Angel

Doesn't say a thing about applying more than one coat / butting up to
where you left off.

It's been about 2 hours now and it's cured on top and seems fairly
solid, do you think I should let it set overnight before I apply
another coat or plough on?

Cheers

Panic over.

Applied a second coat about 2 hours after the first and it seemed to take
really well.

God I hate silicone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Haymish Pupkin" wrote in message
. uk...

God I hate silicone.

So do I.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Haymish Pupkin" wrote in message
. uk...

God I hate silicone.

So do I.

Silicone is your friend :-)

If it can be used to make large fish tanks, just think what else you can
use it for.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Haymish Pupkin" wrote in message
. uk...

God I hate silicone.

So do I.

Silicone is your friend :-)

If it can be used to make large fish tanks, just think what else you can
use it for.

I don't want a large fish ... unless it's eatable.

Mary

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Haymish Pupkin" wrote in message
. uk...

God I hate silicone.

So do I.

Mary

Put me on the list.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Haymish Pupkin" wrote in message
. uk...
God I hate silicone.

So do I.

Mary

Me 2. Sadly its the only thing that works in so many cases.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Haymish Pupkin" wrote in message
. uk...

God I hate silicone.

So do I.

Mary

Depends where it is on your body hun
;-))

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

God I hate silicone.

So do I.

Mary

Put me on the list.

I've found a use for old silicone cartridges. I had one that had 3" of
solid silicone in it, so I poked it out and used the empty for grout.
Much easier than trowelling it in and used about half the grout I'd
otherwise have used. Gets it deeper into the joint, too.
Half way through the job the piston started to get very stiff so I cut
the end off a fabric conditioner bottle and shoved that up instead.
Provided you remember to blow the nozzle out between fills (it sets just
enough to stop it all working while you refill the body) it's works
wonderfully.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Haymish Pupkin" wrote in message
. uk...

God I hate silicone.

So do I.

Silicone is your friend :-)

If it can be used to make large fish tanks

Yes, but how long would it take to teach the fish to drive them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Alun Davies" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Haymish Pupkin" wrote in message
. uk...

God I hate silicone.

So do I.

Mary

Depends where it is on your body hun
;-))

It's neither on nor in my body. It seems to be everywhere else though ...
:-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Haymish Pupkin wrote:

You would not believe how long I have taken to prepare this job

Yes I would. You are an idiot.

Checked everything before I started, loads of silicon in the gun etc.

But only the one tube?

Then I run out half way through the job.

Blame yourself for penny pinching. Wilkinsons would gladly have
supplied all you needed first go. Same batch number too.

It'll take me 2 hours to get back with a new tube of the same stuff.

Longer if you spend time talking and writinbg about it.

Can I silicone over what's already there or am I going to have to remove all the
silicone I just put on?

Once set it strips off easily leaving ragged un erasable edges that you
just have to do your best with. A sharp chisel perhaps. More expense to
remind you about penny saving.

Use a larger nozzle (to cover the old marks) and do the job again. You
probably went over it all and made a mess by now though. Console
yourself by reminiscing about the money you saved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:06:28 GMT, "Haymish Pupkin"
wrote:

Started to seal my shower tray.You would not believe how long I have taken
to prepare this job, really cleaned up the shower well. Checked everything
before I started, loads of silicon in the gun etc.

Then I run out half way through the job. Checked the side indicater and the
plunger is 2-3inches from the end of the tube but there's no more silicon
coming out, no blockage either - thanks a bunch Wilkinsons. Must have a
really long plunger in there.

It'll take me 2 hours to get back with a new tube of the same stuff. Can I
silicone over what's already there or am I going to have to remove all the
silicone I just put on?

Thanks

You bought silicon sealant at Wilkinsons ?

I tell you what; I was disgusted with the price of silicon sealant at
Homebase+Q (┬г3.99) so I tried some stuff from the pound shop. "How bad
could it be?" I thought.

Well, it was disgusting.

It stank.

It stuck to everything including anything you used to tweak it with
afterwards. It's hard to describe but it was like it was too sticky
and viscous. Imagine you drag your finger along a bit of it smeared on
a surface. The normal stuff would spread out and leave a thin film.
This would roll up and make a disgraceful discoloured mess. This made
it very hard to apply neatly.

It wasn't water soluble so it messed up any cloths you used to wipe
any excess and it made my usual trick of finishing it off with a damp
rag impossible.

All in all it was ****e and I reluctantly went back to B+Q for a good
wallet spanking.

How was the Wilkinsons stuff ?

norm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Seemed like good stuff to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

norm wrote:

[...]

Are you really that thick? Or is this a spoof? It's very funny, I hope
it's true..