Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Router advice

Looking on screwfix website, I sort of narrowed down my choice of routers
to:

Makita 3620/2 860W 240V Router - which seems to be a good make and fairly
light. On the other hand, it's only 860w and has a 1/4" chuck.

Erbauer ERB210C 2100W Router - 3 times as heavy as the Makita and almost 3
times as powerful. 1/4" and 1/2" chucks.

I want to do a kitchen initially. Am I right in thinking that the Erbauer is
the one to go for?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
Looking on screwfix website, I sort of narrowed down my choice of routers
to:

Makita 3620/2 860W 240V Router - which seems to be a good make and fairly
light. On the other hand, it's only 860w and has a 1/4" chuck.

Erbauer ERB210C 2100W Router - 3 times as heavy as the Makita and almost 3
times as powerful. 1/4" and 1/2" chucks.

I want to do a kitchen initially. Am I right in thinking that the Erbauer is
the one to go for?

Big one will be OK for use with guide bushes and fences for things like
worktops but I think you will find it too heavy for freehand work etc.
I have done a lot of work with a 500w Bosch - fine as long as you take
fine cuts and my big 3hp router is destined for use in a fixed table as
it is so heavy.
8mm collet version worth considering if you plan to do any quality
dovetail work as the cutters are a lot more rigid than 1/4".

HTH

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
Looking on screwfix website, I sort of narrowed down my choice of
routers to:

Makita 3620/2 860W 240V Router - which seems to be a good make and
fairly light. On the other hand, it's only 860w and has a 1/4" chuck.

I've had one for 20+ years and its still a favourite. Punches well above
its weight, might only be 860w but it thinks its 1200w.

Erbauer ERB210C 2100W Router - 3 times as heavy as the Makita and
almost 3 times as powerful. 1/4" and 1/2" chucks.

I want to do a kitchen initially. Am I right in thinking that the
Erbauer is the one to go for?

If you want to do masons mitres then I don't think the Makita has enough
wellie or big enough collets.

If you don't I'd say the Makita is a great machine. No soft start, no
variable speed, no lazer lights, just a superb little machine & a joy to
use.

Buy both!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 20:18:31 +0100, GB wrote:
Looking on screwfix website, I sort of narrowed down my choice of routers
to:

Makita 3620/2 860W 240V Router - which seems to be a good make and fairly
light. On the other hand, it's only 860w and has a 1/4" chuck.

Erbauer ERB210C 2100W Router - 3 times as heavy as the Makita and almost 3
times as powerful. 1/4" and 1/2" chucks.

I want to do a kitchen initially. Am I right in thinking that the Erbauer is
the one to go for?

When I was looking (some years ago now) I came to the conclusion that bigger
was better and ended up buying a Trend T9 3H.P. job. I'd say that was a mistake
for a first router - it was just too big. Soon after, I went to the other
extreme and got a T3, which I use much more for hand-held work.
Even today the T9 scares me, which is probably a good quality for a router
to have, but I do use it almost exclusively in a router table these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
Looking on screwfix website, I sort of narrowed down my choice of routers
to:

Makita 3620/2 860W 240V Router - which seems to be a good make and fairly
light. On the other hand, it's only 860w and has a 1/4" chuck.

Erbauer ERB210C 2100W Router - 3 times as heavy as the Makita and almost
3 times as powerful. 1/4" and 1/2" chucks.

I want to do a kitchen initially. Am I right in thinking that the Erbauer
is the one to go for?

It depends on what you need to do in the kitchen.
The last one I did didn't require the router at all.

If you use square edged worktops with real wood edging stuck on all you need
is a jigsaw for the sink and a mitre saw for the rest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote:

Looking on screwfix website, I sort of narrowed down my choice of routers
to:

Makita 3620/2 860W 240V Router - which seems to be a good make and fairly
light. On the other hand, it's only 860w and has a 1/4" chuck.

Erbauer ERB210C 2100W Router - 3 times as heavy as the Makita and almost 3
times as powerful. 1/4" and 1/2" chucks.

I want to do a kitchen initially. Am I right in thinking that the Erbauer is
the one to go for?

I have three routers, all of which I use regularly. I made my kitchen
from 8x4 sheets of plywood which is a LOT of housing and rebate joints.
I made all the doors from MDF with a panel-door set - which is a LOT of
rails and stiles.

The 2900watt Italian jobby is permanently in the router table and did
the kitchen. I only remove it for Mason's Mitres on worktops.

The 800watt ELU, my first router, is a joy to use for complicated stuff
hand held.

But my favourite is a very very old plastic B&D D4 non-plunge
650Watt?? router that I was given, which has a round-over bit in it
almost permanently. It sits on my bench where I can reach it several
times an hour....

Small and light for handheld, big and beefy for a table. You need a
table if you are planning to build your own kitchen cabinets.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

John Rumm wrote:

I want to do a kitchen initially. Am I right in thinking that the
Erbauer is the one to go for?

a 1/2" machine certainly if you want to do worktop joints.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I take on board everybody's advice, and I can
see I'm going to need to buy a second one later.

My first router - advice pls gna03633 UK diy 8 May 1st 08 09:52 PM
Advice on 3 HP router Sasha Woodworking 24 March 23rd 08 11:00 PM
Router purchase advice [email protected] Woodworking 11 January 16th 07 02:20 PM
Router bit advice Locutus Woodworking 6 August 11th 06 08:15 PM
Router bits advice? Adrian Smith Woodworking 4 May 10th 06 07:10 AM