Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow TheOldFellow is offline

Default Router advice

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 20:18:31 +0100
"GB" wrote:

Looking on screwfix website, I sort of narrowed down my choice of routers
to:

Makita 3620/2 860W 240V Router - which seems to be a good make and fairly
light. On the other hand, it's only 860w and has a 1/4" chuck.

Erbauer ERB210C 2100W Router - 3 times as heavy as the Makita and almost 3
times as powerful. 1/4" and 1/2" chucks.

I want to do a kitchen initially. Am I right in thinking that the Erbauer is
the one to go for?

I have three routers, all of which I use regularly. I made my kitchen
from 8x4 sheets of plywood which is a LOT of housing and rebate joints.
I made all the doors from MDF with a panel-door set - which is a LOT of
rails and stiles.

The 2900watt Italian jobby is permanently in the router table and did
the kitchen. I only remove it for Mason's Mitres on worktops.

The 800watt ELU, my first router, is a joy to use for complicated stuff
hand held.

But my favourite is a very very old plastic B&D D4 non-plunge
650Watt?? router that I was given, which has a round-over bit in it
almost permanently. It sits on my bench where I can reach it several
times an hour....

Small and light for handheld, big and beefy for a table. You need a
table if you are planning to build your own kitchen cabinets.

R.