Posted to uk.d-i-y
pete pete is offline

Default Router advice

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 20:18:31 +0100, GB wrote:
Looking on screwfix website, I sort of narrowed down my choice of routers
to:

Makita 3620/2 860W 240V Router - which seems to be a good make and fairly
light. On the other hand, it's only 860w and has a 1/4" chuck.

Erbauer ERB210C 2100W Router - 3 times as heavy as the Makita and almost 3
times as powerful. 1/4" and 1/2" chucks.

I want to do a kitchen initially. Am I right in thinking that the Erbauer is
the one to go for?

When I was looking (some years ago now) I came to the conclusion that bigger
was better and ended up buying a Trend T9 3H.P. job. I'd say that was a mistake
for a first router - it was just too big. Soon after, I went to the other
extreme and got a T3, which I use much more for hand-held work.
Even today the T9 scares me, which is probably a good quality for a router
to have, but I do use it almost exclusively in a router table these days.