Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bosch multipurpose drills

Whoever mentioned these a while back:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/95958/...l-Bit-Set-4-Pc

I got the 7 piece set from Axminster. Tried them today.

So far I am *deeply* impressed. They really do drill proper brick at 10mm
with no hammer and surprisingly little effort. They seem to be quite good
at not wandering too (important as I was setting out battens that needed to
be precisely mounted).

And they drill celcon crap-blocks cleanly enough too.

I'll be more impressed if they last more than a week - but time will tell...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Tim S wrote:
Whoever mentioned these a while back:

T'was me :-)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/95958/...l-Bit-Set-4-Pc

I got the 7 piece set from Axminster. Tried them today.

So far I am *deeply* impressed. They really do drill proper brick at
10mm with no hammer and surprisingly little effort. They seem to be
quite good at not wandering too (important as I was setting out
battens that needed to be precisely mounted).

And they drill celcon crap-blocks cleanly enough too.

I'll be more impressed if they last more than a week - but time will
tell...

They do ;-)

Yup, surprisingly well.

to be fair they are very good in masonry - and I would buy them for
that alone. Their drilling performance in other materials is
"adequate" when new, but suffers a bit as the masonry use takes the
edge off them.

Its just the convenience of them though, great for tiles, battens with
hammer fixings, all sorts. Wouldn't buy them 'specifically' for wood or
metal, but they are adequate for those materials and great for masonry.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim S wrote:
Whoever mentioned these a while back:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/95958/...l-Bit-Set-4-Pc

I got the 7 piece set from Axminster. Tried them today.

So far I am *deeply* impressed. They really do drill proper brick at 10mm
with no hammer and surprisingly little effort. They seem to be quite good
at not wandering too (important as I was setting out battens that needed to
be precisely mounted).

And they drill celcon crap-blocks cleanly enough too.

I'll be more impressed if they last more than a week - but time will tell...

A while ago I had been going to put a small set onto an order. Then I
started to get perplexed so left them off. Is there any difference among
these descriptions?

Bosch Multi-Construction
Bosch ROBUSTLine Multi-Construction
Bosch Multipurpose

(Copied from Axminster & Screwfix - probably find a few other variations
if I searched a bit further afield.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Tim S wrote:
[...]

I think they were originally called Multi Material. There is only 1 type
AFAIK, but I've only ever bought them from SF.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 07:19:05 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Its just the convenience of them though, great for tiles, battens with
hammer fixings, all sorts. Wouldn't buy them 'specifically' for wood or
metal, but they are adequate for those materials and great for masonry.

Where they particularly score is making another hole through a radiator
bracket straight into the masonry behind (to try to get a decent fixing
where the original hole positions don't give one), putting fixing holes
through skirting straight into masonry etc.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Multipurpose Workbench stevelup UK diy 4 September 9th 06 09:05 PM
Looking for Multipurpose Saw mjb920 Home Repair 11 December 19th 05 01:20 PM
Multipurpose Table Saw Paul Woodworking 4 May 3rd 05 01:59 AM
ANN: Decimal Equivalents, Drills, & Tap Drills For The Palm Carmine Castiglia Metalworking 0 January 13th 04 03:53 AM