Posted to alt.home.repair
mjb920

Default Looking for Multipurpose Saw

Is anyone aware of a table or miter saw that can cut wood, metal, and
possibly tile? For example, wood flooring, a shower enclosure header
bracket, and ceramic tile.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

mjb920 wrote:
Is anyone aware of a table or miter saw that can cut wood, metal, and
possibly tile? For example, wood flooring, a shower enclosure header
bracket, and ceramic tile.

It would depend on the blade, mainly, and then on the reaction of that
saw to the water/coolant necessary to cut tile with a saw. Most would
take it mighty personally and try to kill you. If you do find
something, post it back here - I've never heard of such an animal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
chickenwing

mjb920 wrote:

Thanks,
Jim

i'd be afraid of that monster

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

For tile & brick (only a few cuts ~20) I've used a dry diamond blade
on my Makita table saw, not ideal but doable.

TIle really works best with wet saw

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"mjb920" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is anyone aware of a table or miter saw that can cut wood, metal, and
possibly tile? For example, wood flooring, a shower enclosure header
bracket, and ceramic tile.

I know people that have cut metal on their miter saw by changing the blade.
Makes a mess though. Tile says usually use a wet process but I guess it can
be done with an abrasive blade. If you decide to try this, be sure to
remove the dust collecting bag and clean up the sawdust before cutting
metal. Metal will send hot chips that could start the dust on fire.

IMO, this is not a good idea, but it is your money.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mjb920

Okay, it's probably best to buy or rent a wet saw for tile. How about
cutting metal on a table or miter saw?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"mjb920" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is anyone aware of a table or miter saw that can cut wood, metal, and
possibly tile? For example, wood flooring, a shower enclosure header
bracket, and ceramic tile.

I know people that have cut metal on their miter saw by changing the blade.
Makes a mess though. Tile says usually use a wet process but I guess it can
be done with an abrasive blade. If you decide to try this, be sure to
remove the dust collecting bag and clean up the sawdust before cutting
metal. Metal will send hot chips that could start the dust on fire.

IMO, this is not a good idea, but it is your money.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

mjb920 wrote:
Okay, it's probably best to buy or rent a wet saw for tile. How about
cutting metal on a table or miter saw?

It can be done, but unless the tool was designed for it you'll be
killing the tool. One size does not fit all in tools. What exactly
are the limitations, besides money, that you need to combine all of
these cutting functions into one tool?

Posted to alt.home.repair
rider89

what kind of metal and how thick?

bill

"mjb920" wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay, it's probably best to buy or rent a wet saw for tile. How about
cutting metal on a table or miter saw?

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Years ago I had a former GM development engineer working for me.

He showed me that anything that can be done in wood with wood working
tools can be done in aluminum with woodworking tools with good quality
carbide cutters.

I have made hundreds of aluminum cuts on various miter & table saws
with no ill effects on the machines. Heavy duty & repeated cutting of
aluminum requires blades with special tooth configurations but the
occasional aluminum cut (door sill, shower stall material, angles) can
be done with "wood cutting" carbide tipped blades.

Just make the cuts slowly w/o bogging the saw.

Cutting steel is a whole different story. The use of abrasive blades
on woodworking saws to cut steel is messy business. Sparks, material
& blade residue go everywhere. Cutting anything but small cross
sections will overload most wood working machines.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

On 17 Dec 2005 19:10:41 -0800, "mjb920" wrote:

Is anyone aware of a table or miter saw that can cut wood, metal, and
possibly tile? For example, wood flooring, a shower enclosure header
bracket, and ceramic tile.

Thanks,
Jim

I have a cheap Delta bench top table saw I use to cut tile and
cultured marble. Use a dry cut diamond blade. I put the same blade
in a miter saw to cut the cultured marble molding. I also have used
the miter saw to cut aluminum extrusions (different blade, fine tooth
metal cutting and stick a block of warmed wax in the blade prior to
making the cut.)

If I did this all the time I would buy a wet saw. Dry cutting tile
and cultured marble makes a lot of very fine dust and I would'nt
expect the tools to last a long time with constant use in those
conditions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

If you worked on igloos you'd need a Thaws-All!
Posted to alt.home.repair
chickenwing

Steve Kraus wrote:

If you worked on igloos you'd need a Thaws-All!

lol