Paul

Default Multipurpose Table Saw

Greetings,

On one of those home remodelling/Do-It-Yourself/Room Makeover cable shows, I
noticed someone getting a table saw that had snap out sections that could
hold other power tools like a belt sander or jig saw which would turn the
table into a multipurpose table. The show aired about 3 to 4 weeks ago and
I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about that table or the show it
was shown on. I thought it was kind of cool and wanted to look more into
it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

AAvK

Greetings,

On one of those home remodelling/Do-It-Yourself/Room Makeover cable shows, I
noticed someone getting a table saw that had snap out sections that could
hold other power tools like a belt sander or jig saw which would turn the
table into a multipurpose table. The show aired about 3 to 4 weeks ago and
I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about that table or the show it
was shown on. I thought it was kind of cool and wanted to look more into
it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Skil #3700 XShop Convertible Workshop? Did it have red?

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 02 May 2005 03:06:00 GMT, "Paul"
wrote:

I thought it was kind of cool and wanted to look more into it.

Cool is a bad thing in woodworking tools. If the idea's really a good
one, then we all started using them 30 years ago and they're no longer
novel enough to be "cool". My Workmate was cool once, now they're just
something every on-site carpenter sees as essential.

The problem with these convertible tables is that they're not very good,
and if they're used with cheap tools then they're _really_ not very
good. They work pretty well with routers. They can work pretty well
with a jigsaw as an "internal curves" bandsaw that can start from a
drilled hole. For most commonplace purposes it's easier to hold the
jigsaw freehand and move it over the workpiece though.

With circular saws, they're downright nasty. They're especially bad when
combined with the sort of low end plywood-only saw fitted with a 6 tooth
"combi" blade better suited for ripping giant redwoods. As a gadget sold
to the hard-up beginner, this is a particularly nasty combination. Your
table saw is the heart of nearly every workshop - it's worth putting a
sizable piece of your budget into this.

They're also expensive. I'm a woodworker - I can _make_ tables.

Triton probably make the neatest of these tables.

Jon Shelley

In article , "Paul" wrote:
Greetings,

On one of those home remodelling/Do-It-Yourself/Room Makeover cable shows, I
noticed someone getting a table saw that had snap out sections that could
hold other power tools like a belt sander or jig saw which would turn the
table into a multipurpose table. The show aired about 3 to 4 weeks ago and
I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about that table or the show it
was shown on. I thought it was kind of cool and wanted to look more into
it. Any help would be appreciated.

As someone else mentioned, it is probably the new Skil contraption. They have
it on display at Lowes. It has got to be the biggest POS I've ever seen. I'm
not a highly-skilled woodworker by any means, but I think any novice could see
the horizontal shifting of the drill press when you try to lower it. The fence
can pretty much be adjusted by tapping a finger on the side, when it's
_locked_!

Maybe it was just a poor setup by Lowes, I don't know, but the materials felt
so cheap, flexible, and breakable, I can't imagine how you could tune it up to
be of any use.

Jon
John Grossbohlin

"Paul" wrote in message
Greetings,

On one of those home remodelling/Do-It-Yourself/Room Makeover cable shows,
noticed someone getting a table saw that had snap out sections that could
hold other power tools like a belt sander or jig saw which would turn the
table into a multipurpose table. The show aired about 3 to 4 weeks ago
and
I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about that table or the show
it
was shown on. I thought it was kind of cool and wanted to look more into
it. Any help would be appreciated.

I thought maybe this was one of those Tool Dock systems but couldn't recall
how it worked so I went to Amazon and searched the Tools and Hardware for
"tool doc." Well, I didn't get the modular shop system but I did get some
rather wild results from the Health & Personal Care section... Not sure
why?? ;-)

John